Arrivals & Departures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Arrivals & Departures

Post by GerryO' »

Freddie Benson wrote:
GerryO' wrote:
How about Mark Crick then? He was pants too!!!
maybe so......but not an outside back and not Irish qualified............which I believe was Caolan's original post way back when :|
Not a hooker either.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Local journos jumping the gun as usual! :roll:
epaddy
Novice

Post by epaddy »

Rooster wrote:Are we going to buy out a year of Evans contract as well or did no one do their homework :scratch:
Planet Rugby wrote:All Black Nick Evans has decided to move from the Highlanders and Otago to play for the Blues and Auckland in 2008, after signing a two-year contract.

The versatile back will be available for the two-times Super Rugby champions in May and could have picked North Harbour, where he made his representative debut in 2001.

"It's exciting for me. This is the next step in my career and I am looking forward to a new opportunity - playing amongst a new group of guys in a new squad," said Evans.

"I've enjoyed my time with Otago and the Highlanders. Now, looking ahead, I'm confident I will continue to enjoy my rugby as a member of the Auckland and Blues teams."

Auckland and Blues CEO Andy Dalton was thrilled with Evans' decision to move to Auckland.

"Nick is an outstanding player. He's dynamic and tactically astute at both first five-eighth and full-back. We're very fortunate he will be joining us next season.

"In a year where we are seeing many of our top players head overseas post the World Cup, it is great to see a player of Nick's calibre choosing to continue his rugby career in New Zealand."

In 2004, he made his first Super 12 appearance and was selected for the All Blacks that same year.

Evans has played for the Highlanders and Otago since 2005. He is also a member of the New Zealand squad to take part in the Rugby World Cup in France in September and October.

His All Black contract is up, thats the main thing.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

epaddy, I can't see us buying out his Blues contract unless he has a get out quick clause with no fees, he could potentially cost £300/400k per year
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
epaddy
Novice

Post by epaddy »

Rooster wrote:epaddy, I can't see us buying out his Blues contract unless he has a get out quick clause with no fees, he could potentially cost £300/400k per year

His Blues contract is as close to worthless as you can get, its just a tie down to that province while he is in New Zealand. Its his NZRFU contract that matters. I would say the majority of Kiwi's heading north slipped out of their provincial contracts with little or no hassle. The worst that could happen is he wouldnt be available till after the Air New Zealand Cup.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

GerryO' wrote:
Freddie Benson wrote:
GerryO' wrote:
How about Mark Crick then? He was pants too!!!
maybe so......but not an outside back and not Irish qualified............which I believe was Caolan's original post way back when :|
Not a hooker either.

:lol:
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

epaddy wrote:
Rooster wrote:epaddy, I can't see us buying out his Blues contract unless he has a get out quick clause with no fees, he could potentially cost £300/400k per year

His Blues contract is as close to worthless as you can get, its just a tie down to that province while he is in New Zealand. Its his NZRFU contract that matters. I would say the majority of Kiwi's heading north slipped out of their provincial contracts with little or no hassle. The worst that could happen is he wouldnt be available till after the Air New Zealand Cup.
I'll assume you are right about that epaddy, we are in with a hope then.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

I met Mark Crick a few years ago when i was playing for the Potomac Athletic Club in Washington DC, as far as i know he is still there, he's coaching the side now and playing flanker
Really?
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

LETS_GO_ULSTER wrote:If only Steinmetz hadn't gotten that one cap.......
He wouldn't qualify for for a work permit to play professionally in Ulster.
andy white
Novice

Post by andy white »

Mark Crick played for USA in last year's Churchill Cup - didn't make the world cup squad though
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

GerryO' wrote:
I don't think that's correct Gerry. I believe that playing Pro-rugby at the top club level in New-Zealand would have been enough for the work permit. An international cap is unnecessary.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Matt Mustchin never played for the All Blacks but he did play NPC and Super 12 and that was obviously adequate for him
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

pwrmoore wrote:
GerryO' wrote:
I don't think that's correct Gerry. I believe that playing Pro-rugby at the top club level in New-Zealand would have been enough for the work permit. An international cap is unnecessary.
I'll bow to your superior....
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Webb, Harding, Pfister
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »