Paddy to Montpellier??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce
Novice

Re: Paddy to Montpellier??

Post by Bruce »

Bon voyage! Tres bon! au revoir
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Not sure I'd be as happy as others in this thread to see Paddy go. I no longer thing he's the solution at 10; his inconsistencies and weaknesses in that area haven't really improved this season, despite much more regular game time. That said, he's useful to have in the squad, especially because of his ability to run through tight spaces. Ulster are in need of a new 10, of that there's no doubt but it doesn't mean that Paddy has no value to the squad, even if he's not getting starting game time.
andy white
Novice

Post by andy white »

No wonder players leave Ulster when they get the sort of abuse that the so called Ulster supporters throw at them - loyalty is a two way street- I'll sit back and wait for the inevitable abuse.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Don't start with so-called Ulster fan garbage.
These are professional's - it's part of the game. Everyone gets criticised.

By the way, I've always been a fan of Paddy Wallace - just ask Gemma!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Paddy is a player that originally showed great promise but has been shoved around in the backs due to Humphs being the choice 10, he was tried at fullback and certainly never got the hang of it, then shoved in at 10 every once in a while, sat on the bench got injured and played 12 as times also. it would appear if anything has gone wrong it was the way he has been handled during his career and not just down to himself.
Good luck to him if he goes and finally gets some reward for his years efforts.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

There's some truth in what you say, Rooster but the worry I have is that Paddy has not, over the course of 6 or 7 seasons now, really improved the inconsistent parts of his game; while he may not have been treated in the best possible way by Ulster there simply isn't enough evidence of application to either make his mark with regards to playing 10 or to sell himself, as a 10, to other rugby clubs. Certainly, on the evidence this season, Wallace is still much the player he was when he first came into the Ulster squad; looks like he has heaps of potential but the bossing-the-game parts of a quality 10 are either missing or completely inconsistent. Wallace is a useful player to have around the squad but given an apparent lack of improvement over a number of seasons, perhaps Wallace has settled for that useful player around the squad role?

He's been done few favours by Ulster and I will not debate that. I will also admit that I am a big fan of Wallace and the way he plays and really did feel he'd be a success at 10 given regular game time. Sadly, he's been exactly as hit and miss as he was before and having not improved that, even with time in the team as the first choice 10, he can only blame himself for not improving the weaker parts of his game the way Trimble has improved in defence or Caldwell has improved in the lineout since they first broke into the Ulster reckoning.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I understand what people mean when they say Paddy was handled badly, but people have got to take responsibility for their own careers as well. So while he played second fiddle to Humph for years and was shifted all round the backline, I can't help but think that a player who was very confident, even arrogant about their abilities would have said "feck this" and gone off to somewhere else. I know he tried to leave in 05/06 but this position as permanent second fiddle to Hump must have been apparent for years.

Ulster may not have handled him correctly, but how much is due to PW not being ambitious, or confident, or arrogant enough to show what he could do away from Hump's shadow?
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Paddy has been hanging around Ravenhill for 7 or 8 seasons and has tried 10, 15, 12 & 13 and never really succeeded in any of them.
There is no doubt he is an audaciously talented player in some respects I recall many occasions when he shredded defences; however his inconsistency has let the side down on too many occasions. This may be to do with the fact that he has never really found his position or he has been messed around by management or a multitude of other reasons, but that’s the way it is. I don’t particularly want to see him leave, but his position is on the bench. O’Connor is a better 10 and Steiner is a better 12 so where does he start? Sexton is also going to take his Ireland bench spot when he gets over his injury; so I presume Paddy sees the clouds gathering and is saying ‘I’m offski’.
Can’t blame him really.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Paddy has to go.

Not because he's no good but rather because he's perceived to be no good. As long as his mistakes are always highlighted and his assets rarely praised, his confidence can never recover at Ulster. Wherever he goes I am confident he will carve out a first team slot and finally become the top quality fly half we all hoped he would be for Ulster.
The future isn't what it used to be
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I'd be sad to see him go. He isnt brilliant and hasnt demanded a starting place in any position but he has had some very good games during his time here.

Also given that we are losing so many players where are we getting replacements for them? They arent all going to be world class, so is his replacement really going to be better?

If it was me though, I would find a 2 year blast in France, presumably with a decent contract, very hard to turn down.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

If Paddy is ever going to France, and it has been talked about before, it will be this time, remember he has a kid that is around 1? now so a couple of years and he would be back before school starts, if he stayed here for another 2 years it would mean child starting school in a new country with a new language, I'm sure not the easiest thing for a 4 year old to get to grips with
He may come back the better for the experience and he may not but in years to come at least he will have had the satisfaction of doing what he appears he has wanted to do now for a couple of seasons.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Paddy has to go.

Not because he's no good but rather because he's perceived to be no good. As long as his mistakes are always highlighted and his assets rarely praised, his confidence can never recover at Ulster. Wherever he goes I am confident he will carve out a first team slot and finally become the top quality fly half we all hoped he would be for Ulster.
I'd go along with most of that................Paddy's had more game time at 10 this season than any other, unfortunately with a side that is low on confidence and in the main would have made Carter look like a plonker.

He still has a lot to offer.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He's a decent 12, but not as decent as Steiner and Dewey. In that respect, sadly i don't see much future for him.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

As someone who travelled about a lot as a kid I think it is fair to say kids handle change way better than adults. They (er, me 25 years ago) cry about it, throw a tantrum but come round to it pretty quick and learn languages way quicker than adults. I'd imagine Paddy and his wife will have far more difficulties adjusting than their 2, 3, 4 or whatever year old kid they have does.
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Fly Half wrote:Paddy has to go.

I agree with Fly Half on this - All the best Paddy & I hope your future is brighter than it was with Ulster

Au Revoir & Bon Chance :flower:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin