Positives and Negatives: Osprey's V Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives and Negatives: Osprey's V Ulster

Post by againstthehead »

I didn't realise that Rooster. Is he any Goode at 12? If so that would be ideal, as if NOC plays 10, then he'd be under much less pressure with a decent boot at 12. That may actually be the answer: to buy an experiened boot at 12 with decent leadership qualities. However, we already have at least 3 players competing for inside centre so can't see it happening. Besides, there's not really much of a history of quality english players moving across the water and given Ulster's current status I can't really see it happening this season.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

againstthehead wrote:you sound as if ur coming around to my way of thinking! A new flyhalf required?
:stir:
Now you always knew I thought we needed a short-term fly-half for a season or two, I just think that Ulster have more pressing concerns than a new 10, given likely financial restrictions and the depth of rebuilding that is required. If it was affordable and not at the expense of other necessary rebuilding AND Ulster could find a suitable candidate then I'd be more than happy to see a new 10 in an Ulster shirt. Not Paterson, though - I like Paterson as a player and I've said before that I think he's been poorly treated by Hadden for both Edinburgh and Scotland; excellent placekicker but his decision making can go to hell at times and he's really not all that experienced at 10, so what he could teach O'Connor would be fairly limited, in that sense. Goode, I'd possibly say the same about - he's been great this season but before that, his game was littered with inconsistencies. Both of these players would represent unnecessary risk, given that part of their brief when arriving at Ulster would be to help develop O'Connor. Parks is solid enough but I'm not sure he has enough variety in his game. Of those three, however, Parks would be the one I'd be happiest to see.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Also worth noting that Andy Goode didn't hit Austin Healy in the nuts with a football, baby Humph did.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
rosetintedgoggles
Novice

Post by rosetintedgoggles »

If baby Humph is good enough to hit Austin Healy smack between his eyes then he is good enough for the Ulstermen!
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

A little reality here

Does anyone really think the IRFU will allow 2 20-22 olds to sit on the bench week in week out when the only out-half Ireland has RoG plays inconsistantly for Ireland and races towards his early 30's?

Ireland need 2 Outhalfs to develop quickly and this won't happen while sitting on the bench

Out-half is not one of the positions we will beable to bring in players

Second row /back row/ wings/ -----frontrow maybe short term

But outhalf no-way
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Agree with Neil F here. Think Ulster do really need another outhalf for a year or 2 (particularly in the 1st year) to help NOC develop. However, the cash constraints and to an extent IRFU reluctance to finance an import at 10 may mean that Ulster won't be able to do this.

So where does that leave Ulster? Probably with season being NOC (potential, but unproven) and more than likely Ian Humphreys (ditto).

IRFU will probably dictate that both of these players are given a good chance given the lack of back up to ROG at international level (Sexton looks promising but again hasn't been tested in this position at the top level). Sadly means that Ulster may have to suffer the consequences if neither of these turns out to be good enough (which obviously I hope won't be the case!).
MOE6
Novice

Post by MOE6 »

cant understand why everyone thinks noc is lacking in pace , any time ive watched him he seems quick enough of the mark
you can always improve your acceleration alot aswell , mabye not so much top speed bt a fly half doesnt need that , jst a quick burst of pace .... leave him where he is , thats the first time ive seen him being a bit dodgey .... give him a season or 2 and hell be the next humph :wink:
caveman
Novice

Post by caveman »

With respect to the out-half issue, I got the impression form listening to Matt Williams at the URSC meet-with-the-fans evening at Newforge that a fair bit of horse-trading had gone on between Ulster Rugby and the IRFU when looking at a budget for next year - and presumably the years after. MW wouldn't say much, but was pleasaed enough he said. I thought that maybe Ulater's bargaining chips included being able to spend money in certain area but not in others (an example of the latter being in trying to improve the out-half position for the IRFU by developing NOC).
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

bogboy wrote:A little reality here

Does anyone really think the IRFU will allow 2 20-22 olds to sit on the bench week in week out when the only out-half Ireland has RoG plays inconsistantly for Ireland and races towards his early 30's?

Ireland need 2 Outhalfs to develop quickly and this won't happen while sitting on the bench
I think this depends; O'Connor and Sexton are a long way off the international pace at present. I'd say that Ulster would be in a stronger position than you think to bring in a new out-half so long as Ulster are able to say, "Give us these couple of years and we'll delivery an international quality fly-half to your door." I think this case would be especially strong if Ian Humphreys was also to be in the Ulster set up - potentially, Ulster could offer two potential international fly-halves to Ireland in a couple of seasons. On top of that, a fly-half that can play elsewhere would allow O'Connor to play 10 in the Magners League without a, potentially, large salary outhalf wasting away on the bench. So long as the contract was a maximum of two years and, most likely, without any plan for renewal at the end of those two years, I think the IRFU would be fairly responsive - the IRFU will realise the current limitations in O'Connor and Sexton; I doubt the IRFU are expecting miracles from either of these players in the next season or two.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

In addition, I'd have been surprised if MW would have taken the job if his hands were tied to that extent.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I can see the argument that Ulster might be a better team next year if Patterson/Goode/Parks is there instead of NOC.

I just dont see any value in the line that NOC will be a better player getting 10 minutes at the end of games we have won/lost by a mile whilst watching the decent but hardly startling Patterson/Goode/Parks as opposed to the player he will be if he plays 90% of Ulster's minutes.

So what if he has the occasional poor game like he did against Ospreys and Ulster get beat. If he is going to play at a high level he needs to experience this, and learn from it. You dont learn watching games. He isnt a 12 year old, he is 20, the age at which many sportsmen have won it all.

If we play him all of next year and he still isnt good enough, then we know.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Humphs has had plenty of poor games in his career.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

Goode is meant to be off to Brive so can't see him coming to us
Really?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Positives - I got to watch Ulster play thanks to Welsh TV. We were winning hands down - territory and possession until Tom got sent off. Ferris was immense. So was Bowe (pity there isn't a weeping smilie!!)

Negatives - We didn't attack and PW didn't receive a pass from NOC once! Kick, kick, kick until we kicked badly and lost the ball. Caldwell got stripped of the ball several times - upper body strength? Otherwise he played well.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Don't think Tom should play the next game - 2 yellow's in 2 games - not good.
As for the weeping smiley? Just look for it ;) :cry:
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.