New Players........

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: New Players........

Post by fuzzylogic »

hes an ok AIL player, nothing great, i dont see why ulster and the fans seem happy to talk and talk about average players, then ext season with another average team we will all be complaining were not good enough!

and if you go by the link mikes posted then :afro: will need an international cap before he can play! Just wondering tho how did we get boss? and as :afro: is already in the country and playing AIL and A lever whats the problem with him playing for ulster!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Boss has an irish granny, that might mean he could get a british or irish passport
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

fuzzylogic wrote:already in the country and playing AIL and A level whats the problem with him playing for ulster!
The problem is that he is playing AIL and A level as an Amateur. He doesn't have the type of Visa that would permit him to play Rugby as a Pro. The difficulty is that to get a UK visa which would enable him to play pro-rugby he has to have already played at a pro level outside the UK.

Boss got here because he was already entitled to an Irish and/or UK passport because his Granny is from Glenarm so he didn't need to get a visa at all.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Big-al wrote:Boss has an irish granny, that might mean he could get a british or irish passport
From Glenarm I believe
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Heres me WHAATT!
Novice

Post by Heres me WHAATT! »

:afro: going to our western brothers!!!
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Glynncommando wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Mad Dod wrote:What about Filo Paulo? He's been at Ulster for some time, but because he is a New Zealander, he can't get a work permit for UR....I hope its him-he is a tank. Cool hair-do as-well! :afro:
Think we need to get a wife for Filo to get him a passport :?
Ladies...over to you! :thumright:
GC
Good looking guy but would HAVE to get that hair cut :roll:

ps as for that statement earlier - think it's def a freudian slip :wink:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

there must be some loophole which would allow him to pay. For example instead of paying him as a pro player, give him a "development" contract with a bursary, which would just happen to equal a years salary!!!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Nah, they make up their own rules in Connacht.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Nick Evans again... (pinched from Munsterfans)

15 April 2008

Evans in line for Ulster move as Carter ponders European switch

By Michael Moynihan and Edward Newman
THE All Blacks are on the verge of losing star out-halves Dan Carter and Nick Evans to the northern hemisphere, with Evans in line for a move to Ulster.

Both players have told NZRU officials they are likely to stay on in Europe following the All Blacks’ Grand Slam tour in November.

Carter and Evans have been bombarded with offers from European clubs since the World Cup, with Evans expected to make a decision in the next few weeks. He’s understood to have offers to play in England with Harlequins and Wales with Newport Gwent Dragons, while Ulster are understood to have made a very attractive offer which is 125,000 per annum higher than the Quins offer.

Carter’s situation is expected to take longer to resolve, and the NZRU may consider offering him a sabbatical period so he can play in Europe next year while remaining contracted to the national body.

The NZRU is aware that the financial power of top European clubs is too much to compete against — reports in France suggest Carter has been offered €750,000 a season — so it trying to be more flexible with player contracts, hoping Carter might opt for a brief stint in Europe to sample the lifestyle and recharge mentally before returning, possibly in time to play in the 2010 Super 14.

Evans is believed to have put his future plans on hold until Carter made his intentions known — if Carter leaves New Zealand at the end of the year, Evans would then have an opportunity to establish himself as the All Blacks’ first choice No 10.

The NZRU has lobbied the New Zealand government to institute a similar tax regime to Ireland, where professional sportspeople enjoy tax rebates if they spend the majority of their careers in Ireland.

Meanwhile Ewen McKenzie will not be interviewed for the Ireland job as the New South Wales Waratahs coach already has his eyes set on replacing Fabien Galthie as the top man at French club, Stade Francais.

McKenzie is in Paris today to meet with Stade Francais owner Max Guazzini about the prospect of coaching the Top 14 side from next season.

McKenzie’s contract with the Super 14 franchise will not be renewed at the end of the season, and the Aussie is anxious to tie down a high profile position for next season.

The ‘Tahs have a Super 14 match against the Lions in Sydney this weekend but McKenzie was given permission to travel to the northern hemisphere for possible contract talks with the flamboyant Stade Francais owner.

McKenzie had been touted as a possible replacement for Eddie O’Sullivan having been overlooked for the Wallabies job which was handed to Robbie Deans before Christmas.

“I have to work out what I am going to do and sort it out,” he told a Sydney newspaper. “I am not a player. The player market is usually in one state or country or whatever. Unfortunately my opportunity is in a place that’s less convenient.

“I have got three kids and some big bills to pay. So I have to make sure (my future) is sorted. I tried to pick a week that is the least obtrusive. Everyone (at NSW Rugby) is on board.”

One of the key officials involved in the search for Ireland’s new rugby head coach has dismissed reports claiming that a three-man shortlist, including two potential overseas candidates and Munster’s Declan Kidney, has already been drawn up.

Noel Murphy, who is a member of the five-man committee entrusted with the responsibility to find Eddie O’Sullivan’s successor, said yesterday: “What the writer had in the paper came from himself. It certainly didn’t come any of us who are involved in the process. I don’t know where he got the details.”

Murphy did not wish to make any further comment on whether or not a new coach will be in place for the two-Test summer tour to New Zealand and Australia.

Indications are that an interim management could be put in place for the Tests in Wellington on June 7 and Melbourne on June 14.

“A lot of areas need to be looked at,” added Murphy.

“I’d rather not say at the moment when we’d have a man in place or. I’d prefer not to make any comment .We are keeping our counsel on this.”

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Nick Evans again... (pinched from Munsterfans)

15 April 2008

Evans in line for Ulster move as Carter ponders European switch

By Michael Moynihan and Edward Newman
THE All Blacks are on the verge of losing star out-halves Dan Carter and Nick Evans to the northern hemisphere, with Evans in line for a move to Ulster.

Both players have told NZRU officials they are likely to stay on in Europe following the All Blacks’ Grand Slam tour in November.

Carter and Evans have been bombarded with offers from European clubs since the World Cup, with Evans expected to make a decision in the next few weeks. He’s understood to have offers to play in England with Harlequins and Wales with Newport Gwent Dragons, while Ulster are understood to have made a very attractive offer which is 125,000 per annum higher than the Quins offer.

Carter’s situation is expected to take longer to resolve, and the NZRU may consider offering him a sabbatical period so he can play in Europe next year while remaining contracted to the national body.

The NZRU is aware that the financial power of top European clubs is too much to compete against — reports in France suggest Carter has been offered €750,000 a season — so it trying to be more flexible with player contracts, hoping Carter might opt for a brief stint in Europe to sample the lifestyle and recharge mentally before returning, possibly in time to play in the 2010 Super 14.

Evans is believed to have put his future plans on hold until Carter made his intentions known — if Carter leaves New Zealand at the end of the year, Evans would then have an opportunity to establish himself as the All Blacks’ first choice No 10.

The NZRU has lobbied the New Zealand government to institute a similar tax regime to Ireland, where professional sportspeople enjoy tax rebates if they spend the majority of their careers in Ireland.

Meanwhile Ewen McKenzie will not be interviewed for the Ireland job as the New South Wales Waratahs coach already has his eyes set on replacing Fabien Galthie as the top man at French club, Stade Francais.

McKenzie is in Paris today to meet with Stade Francais owner Max Guazzini about the prospect of coaching the Top 14 side from next season.

McKenzie’s contract with the Super 14 franchise will not be renewed at the end of the season, and the Aussie is anxious to tie down a high profile position for next season.

The ‘Tahs have a Super 14 match against the Lions in Sydney this weekend but McKenzie was given permission to travel to the northern hemisphere for possible contract talks with the flamboyant Stade Francais owner.

McKenzie had been touted as a possible replacement for Eddie O’Sullivan having been overlooked for the Wallabies job which was handed to Robbie Deans before Christmas.

“I have to work out what I am going to do and sort it out,” he told a Sydney newspaper. “I am not a player. The player market is usually in one state or country or whatever. Unfortunately my opportunity is in a place that’s less convenient.

“I have got three kids and some big bills to pay. So I have to make sure (my future) is sorted. I tried to pick a week that is the least obtrusive. Everyone (at NSW Rugby) is on board.”

One of the key officials involved in the search for Ireland’s new rugby head coach has dismissed reports claiming that a three-man shortlist, including two potential overseas candidates and Munster’s Declan Kidney, has already been drawn up.

Noel Murphy, who is a member of the five-man committee entrusted with the responsibility to find Eddie O’Sullivan’s successor, said yesterday: “What the writer had in the paper came from himself. It certainly didn’t come any of us who are involved in the process. I don’t know where he got the details.”

Murphy did not wish to make any further comment on whether or not a new coach will be in place for the two-Test summer tour to New Zealand and Australia.

Indications are that an interim management could be put in place for the Tests in Wellington on June 7 and Melbourne on June 14.

“A lot of areas need to be looked at,” added Murphy.

“I’d rather not say at the moment when we’d have a man in place or. I’d prefer not to make any comment .We are keeping our counsel on this.”

bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I wonder how many of these rumours are liable to come true?

So far the big ones of the last few months/weeks have been:

Evans
Flavell
Some unnamed younger Munster squad member

and lately

BJ Botha
An unnamed younger New Zealand back row forward.

Wont be holding my breath till I actually see them in Ulster tops.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

We heard about Evans ages ago, since then it all went quiet so its nice to hear the rumour again.

Evans, Botha, a top class no7 and back three player would do nicely thanks very much.
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Flavell is going to a club in Japan if my memory serves me correct
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

We've got a decent enough openside in Dawson and a lot of potential in Pollock - I'd say a blindside is needed a lot more than an openside, to be honest. While McCullough has aquitted himself excellently in recent weeks and cannot be faulted for his ability or effort, I think some questions remain about his pace / stamina in a fast and open game. Given that we've lost a blindside this season, I'd say a new blindside should be brought in - given that Dean Ryan doesn't seem to have decided between Strokosh and Buxton, perhaps one would like a change to get away and get more regular game time? I certainly wouldn't say no to Strokosh!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

well if we get botha and evans that could be the making of a very good team, we have a good backrow and i'd like to see a backrow of
6)ferris
7)dawson/pollock
8)henry

given a go sometime in the near future