Ireland Team v New Zealand

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cossax
Initiate

Re: Ireland Team v New Zealand

Post by Cossax »

Quinnie isn't the fastest backrow in the world but he's sure as hell not slow. Considering some of the backrows he's played against this year you'd think any lack of pace would be shown up but it hasn't been.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

bogboy wrote:
But with regard to BOD I think we have to accept that possibly we're looking at the his last couple of seasons his injuries since the Lions Tour are starting to show their accumulative effect as regards line breaking but he has one asset many centres don't have -- he can time his pass to perfection -- and if he moves to inside centre he could still be effective
Actually, sticking my neck out and pushing the envelope of acceptability etc...I think O'Driscoll is finished now- when did he last show real form? And D'Arcy too who may not return. I have no axe to grind with either - but injury and age catch up with most. :( :( :( Maybe they will prove me seriously wrong.

IMHO Ireland needs to look for new centres now.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Cossax wrote:Quinnie isn't the fastest backrow in the world but he's sure as hell not slow. Considering some of the backrows he's played against this year you'd think any lack of pace would be shown up but it hasn't been.
What he lacks in pace he makes up for in guile.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

for dog and ulcer wrote:
bogboy wrote:
But with regard to BOD I think we have to accept that possibly we're looking at the his last couple of seasons his injuries since the Lions Tour are starting to show their accumulative effect as regards line breaking but he has one asset many centres don't have -- he can time his pass to perfection -- and if he moves to inside centre he could still be effective
Actually, sticking my neck out and pushing the envelope of acceptability etc...I think O'Driscoll is finished now- when did he last show real form? And D'Arcy too who may not return. I have no axe to grind with either - but injury and age catch up with most. :( :( :( Maybe they will prove me seriously wrong.

IMHO Ireland needs to look for new centres now.
BOD is not finished, he needs to play 12 end of. hopefully Kidney will get rid of this rubbish of him wearing 13 because he likes it.

At present we are looking at how Luke Fitz performs in the centre, and one inexperienced centre is enough at atime esp in NZ and Aus. Providing he does OK then we have BOD, Darce, Trimble, Fitz, and at a push Shaggy and Paddy
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Over 5 -10 -15 metres it doesn't show and has little effect on team performance

It is when the ball goes wide to the wings and the backrow are are coming in a poor powerless third or fourth that the plot is lost if the opposition have quick recycle

very few teams in the SH would have backrow forwards over 30 esp at wingforward

My view of Ireland at the world cup was we lost/ performed poorly because the Backrow was lacking pace and Quinlan is not the answer to that deficit

He can still perform at ML but its not played at the same pace as International nor do International sides normally fill out their packs with players below International standard which can happen in ML

A ML league pack 1 or two Internationals a couple ex Internationals a couple of maybe As and the odd apprentice

not the same as an AB International pack or backs

His experience is the difference at ML level which helps his game but it counts for little if your 5 yards behind the action
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Cossax
Initiate

Post by Cossax »

Remind me how he did at HEC level? His pace is simply not an issue.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

watch last years world Cup the Pace of the backrow is a serious issue at International level

Most players realise this and drop themselves some seek further caps and fame which are usually gain at the expense of the overall team performance

Easterby who is one year younger has called it a day do you really think Quinlan is a player for to day and one for to-morrow

Easterby was the player who was keeping Quinlan off the team

He ( quinlan) performs for Munster-- different game and a different pace
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

bogboy wrote:watch last years world Cup the Pace of the backrow is a serious issue at International level

Most players realise this and drop themselves some seek further caps and fame which are usually gain at the expense of the overall team performance

Easterby who is one year younger has called it a day do you really think Quinlan is a player for to day and one for to-morrow

Easterby was the player who was keeping Quinlan off the team

He ( quinlan) performs for Munster-- different game and a different pace

Been some blistering pace in those English backrows at the last 2 world cups........
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

The English pack normally wins enough ball to ensure the game is play at a pace that suits the Backrow and the backrow had dropped the real slow guys who were the reason for their non performance in the 6Ns

It is also worth remembering the English performances in the group matches in the last world cup until they reverted to the stick it up your jumper rugby and wait for the penalties

Ireland will not have the opportunity to play the Munster game for 90 minutes and will be lucky to have 35-40 % of the ball and 60-70 % of that will be likely to be inside their own half ie 20% of the match good be ABs going wide to the wings and 10-15% from running returns from ROG kicks from defence

not a game for players lacking pace

I don't beleive the case is sound for the inclusion of Quinlan just because he plays for Munster and Munster have won the ERC
when there are players who are faster and younger

Flannery/ Best is a debateable decision and the players are really of equal merit but the lack of pace in front won't normal lose a match only failure to hit your jumpers -- and possibly Best is more easily read and therefore easier to disrupt as a ball chuckerinner in open they have different styles and bring different things to that aspect of play but because they are different it is really hard to decide which is better flannery is the better ball carrier and Best puts more into defence
Big Dog
Novice

Post by Big Dog »

I see Fitzgerald out, Paddy in

One F is drafted into squad as cover for the speedster (Quinlan) :wink:
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Ma'a Nonu versus Paddy....Bosh
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wallace in for injured Fitzgerald

Paddy Wallace will play at centre for Ireland in Saturday's Test against New Zealand after Luke Fitzgerald had to withdraw because of an ankle injury.

The Leinster rising star's recovery proved to be slower than expected so Wallace was promoted from the bench.

Seasoned Leicester back Geordan Murphy is added to the Ireland replacements.

"You never want to benefit from somebody else's misfortune, but playing against the All Blacks is going to be a huge challenge," said Ulster's Wallace.

"They are the top team in the world and have some superb players across the park. You always want to test yourself against the best, so this is going to be a big game.

"I have been playing a lot of my rugby in the centres for Ulster this season, so I don't have any concerns about being able to slot into the position with Brian O'Driscoll."

Wallace will be giving away the best part of four stone to opposite number Ma'a Nonu, but team manager Joey Miles insisted: "I'm sure Paddy is more than up to it."

Heineken Cup winners Munster provide seven of the Ireland forwards for Saturday's game in Wellington.

It might have been eight but flanker Alan Quinlan was ruled out with a thigh strain and Leinster's Jamie Heaslip will start at number eight.

Robert Kearney is chosen ahead of Girvan Dempsey at full-back with Jerry Flannery at hooker ahead of Rory Best.

Ulster back row Stephen Ferris has been called into the squad as cover for Quinlan.

Ferris has been pulled out of the 'A' team for the Churchill Cup and will meet up with the rest of the Ireland squad in Melbourne on Sunday.

Ireland: R Kearney, S Horgan, Brian O'Driscoll (cpt), P Wallace, T Bowe, R O'Gara, E Reddan, J Heaslip, D Wallace, D Leamy, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell, J Hayes, J Flannery, M Horan.
Replacements: G Dempsey, G Murphy, P Stringer, S Jennings, M O'Driscoll, T Buckley, R Best.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Big Dog wrote: One F is drafted into squad as cover for the speedster (Quinlan) :wink:
This is bad news for Quinlan. With Ferris coming in as cover it looks as if Quinlan's tour is over. Some how I don't think he will see an Irish shirt again - mores the pity.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

paddy against Nonu :shock: :shock: :shock:
Im definately getting up early on Saturday morning to watch it now! :D :D
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Big Dog
Novice

Post by Big Dog »

pip14 wrote:paddy against Nonu :shock: :shock: :shock:
Im definately getting up early on Saturday morning to watch it now! :D :D
What do you think re BOD, obviously he's got his affinity with the 13 shirt, will he play 12 in defence? He said about mixing and matching with Fitz, I assume same will apply. Paddy probably be less intimidated by prospect of stopping Conrad Smith than having to stop Nonu!