Re: Ireland Team v New Zealand

Post by colinh »

Delighted for Paddy.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Neil F wrote:It's refreshing to see that Bradley, at least, is not considering Horgan in the centre but is expanding Ireland's options there.
My thoughts exactly. EOS would have gone for Horgan at 12, Kearney to wing and Girv in at 15. Making 3 changes to the team for one injury doesnt help the team, and making changes to keep PW on the bench doesnt help PW.

Fingers crossed for Paddy, if he comes out of tomorrow with credit nobody can argue he isnt a viable option at 12 for Ulster or Ireland.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Good luck to Paddy!
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Big Dog
Novice

Post by Big Dog »

darkside lightside wrote:no more worried about paddy in the centre than i would have been about fitz - his defence is much maligned. and i'm going to stick my neck out and say i'm not a big fan of nonu, his handling and decision-making aren't the best - obviously if you give him space or fall off him he'll create havoc.
I agree, I have seen Nonu quite frequently be gash. He often looks a bit of a one trick pony (bit of a bosh merchant!) which I think is why there are concerns re Ireland's 10-12 defence. Remember ROG's revolving door defence against McAllister last time we were in NZ? Nonu will be bashing it up, certainly for first 20 (as mentioned above). But in saying that, paddy will know what's coming, great opportunity for him on big stage.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

At least Paddy has the ROG machine as cover.... I reckon Wallace has improved his defense a lot this season and is just as capable of stopping Nonu as little Fitzy would have been.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
downsouthdukin
Novice

Post by downsouthdukin »

downsouthdukin wrote:why is he the referee.. i jest i jest. i agree to be honest. its abig step up for young fitz so maybe paddy will get a chance at 12 which is his best position

Looks like i was right :wink:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

darkside lightside wrote:no more worried about paddy in the centre than i would have been about fitz - his defence is much maligned. and i'm going to stick my neck out and say i'm not a big fan of nonu, his handling and decision-making aren't the best - obviously if you give him space or fall off him he'll create havoc.
Totally agree.Nonu is average at best and all he will be doing is trying to bash through the centre.As long as ROG and Paddy can stop him getting through he is no threat at all.I'm pretty happy they decided to go with Paddy rather than Horgan and especially rather then the useless Duffy who should not even be on tour.Of course if things go wrong in the 10-12 area it's always handy to have a natural fall guy. :wink:
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Go for it Paddy! :thumright:

Keano's sounding a bit star-struck after his lunch date with Richie McCaw. Let's hope he's feeding back some tips to the Irish camp. http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4570774a10295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Come on Paddy!!
:D
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Shan wrote:Of course if things go wrong in the 10-12 area it's always handy to have a natural fall guy. :wink:
I hope you wont have hit the nail on the head here Shan.
Big Dog
Novice

Post by Big Dog »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Can imagine George Hook warming up already!!!!!!!!!!!! - "De fahct dat Pahddee Waahllace isss playing shows de paucity of talent etc etc etc etc"
:lol: You've got that spot on!
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

All the best to Paddy.. Here's hoping he has a good game.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

The centre partnership of Brian O'Driscoll and Paddy Wallace, who has come in for the injured Luke Fitzgerald, looked particularly sharp during Thursday's training session, with the Ulsterman readying himself to face the All Blacks for the first time at senior level.

Having worked closely with him over the past couple of weeks, Ireland defence coach Graham Steadman has praised Wallace for his attitude on the training pitch.

"What has been impressive with Paddy is the fact that he has been very patient. His attitude throughout the World Cup and the Six Nations leading to this trip has not been diminished," Steadman said.

"I think now he has got his opportunity, he'll grasp it with both hands."
Hopefully all that work with Graham will pay off when Nonu comes charging at him! I hope to god Shaggy doesn't play 12 in defence, its his fault the French beat us last year at Croke defending at 12!!!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Red Hand Hero wrote:I wouldn't bet against Shaggy playing at 12 in defence and Wallace covering back on the wings...
horgan's defence at 12 against england was pretty gash to be honest..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

no point in making another topic but is the game on any other channel (like RTE) apart from sky sports?
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.