Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Hopefully this will appeal to the mindset of people who contribute to uafc and this forum...

I'd like to see a lot more people this season going to ravenhill with the mindset of getting behind the team.
last season the atmosphere was dire at times, largely brought about by poor showings on the pitch

however, this year i would like to see proper ulster supporters being prepared to get behind the team from the very offset - be prepared to sing and cheer even when nothings happening, and even when we're losing.

Last year there was certain nights when we cheered only at a good piece of play, and a more common sound was a groan when someone dropped a pass, missed a tackle, etc etc, or silence...

my point is that we should be prepared to give the boys our vocal backing even when they aren't playing that well. There is no doubt that good support from a ravenhill crowd makes our players perform to a higher standard, also that it puts the proverbial extra man on the pitch and makes it that bit harder for opposition. 80 solid minutes of cheering, singing etc is definitely achievable (tho we might need a few new songs - anyone??? :scratch: )

Let's make ourselves heard, make our support count this year.
cut out the negative crap - slagging off players, talking down our chances already etc etc
get behind OUR team, cheer them onto a home quarter-final!!!

:cowboy:
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Re: Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Post by TheElephantMan »

i have been saying this for years but are friends on this forum think we will sound like the football fans and lower th tone..poo lets do it.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

TheElephantMan wrote:i have been saying this for years but are friends on this forum think we will sound like the football fans and lower th tone..poo lets do it.

I think anyone that was down in Cardiff also the Swansea / and Gloucester (HEC games ) would verify large amounts of singing for the team, and that was during our WORST spell at that :cheers: :cheers:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

And there was not even a large amount of drink at the Glaws game as a high percentage had to drive or fly just after game, there was as much noise out of about 150 than there was at Ravenhill with 10k
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

by and large you're going to find away support a bit vocal - anyone who has the mindset to follow ulster on away games is probably prepared to make themselves heard

there's a huge element of a typical ravenhill crowd tho that doesnt make any real effort to support the team - not just in the stand which is seen as a bit of a prawn-sandwich fest... terrace is getting as bad - loads of times a few boys try to start some cheering only to be met by silence from thousands of lifeless ># s around them

my plan is this...
(everyone who reads this/contributes to this forum etc please take note)

if someone starts a bit of singing, at least make an effort and join in with them - all it takes is maybe 50 or 100 people doing the same, then before you know it most of the stadium is joining in (hopefully...)

can be few things worse from a player point of view than seeing a full house and hearing nothing from it
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

We ain't all prawn sandwiches in the stand :twisted:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:We ain't all prawn sandwiches in the stand :twisted:
CHICKEN sandwiches, Rooster?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Rooster wrote:We ain't all prawn sandwiches in the stand :twisted:
fully agree with you
also freely admit that there are a lot of prawn sarnies on the terrace

stand/promenade can at times be pretty loud - at least it seems that way from across the divide we call our hallowed turf...

my point is that in spite of the prawn sarnies (who are all around the ground) we can create a bit of atmosphere - maybe even get some of them to join in?
all it takes is a few to start it, some more to join in - whammy - we got our crowd back!

failing that - bring back chang-a-lang or that ># from worcester game - at least we could be heard on the cregagh road then!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

The traveling ulster support is usually the most vocal. Outsung both Leinster and Munster away last season. Looking forward to more fantastic away trips this year! :D
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Captain Chaos
Initiate

Post by Captain Chaos »

Have to say lads the original post is extremely niave. Ulster has some of the best support (both vocal and in attendance) in the world, when it comes to rugby. Last year if we are truthful was dire and the support echoed what was happening on the field. Nothing more nothing less.

CC
"You can't please all the people all the time!" Mr. Robert Marley
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Surrey Red Hand wrote:
TheElephantMan wrote:i have been saying this for years but are friends on this forum think we will sound like the football fans and lower th tone..poo lets do it.

I think anyone that was down in Cardiff also the Swansea / and Gloucester (HEC games ) would verify large amounts of singing for the team, and that was during our WORST spell at that :cheers: :cheers:

Agreed Mike. Rooster makes good point about Glaws game too....but as said elsewhere, i think if you are prepared to travel to away games, you tend to make a bit more noise...more beer maybe & therefore not driving?

Be great to get the roar back to Ravenhill - think it will come naturally, though , if the team performs.

See you at Quins when we drown out the locals. If we could keep the Shed quiet - we can certainly out sing the toffs at the Stoop :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Captain Chaos wrote:Have to say lads the original post is extremely niave. Ulster has some of the best support (both vocal and in attendance) in the world, when it comes to rugby. Last year if we are truthful was dire and the support echoed what was happening on the field. Nothing more nothing less.

CC
you have backed up exactly what i was trying to say - thanks for that!
last year dire, support echoing poor show on the pitch

we should keep going, keep cheering - not only for the good stuff but also for the dire
yes we continually make the effort to turn up, last year however there was a lot of standing with hands in pockets and a lot of silence.

shouldnt be only getting behind the team when they're playing well, scoring tries, hitting hard, backline flowing etc...
otherwise if and when we let a couple of early tries in against a top side the crowd goes quiet and it makes it a hell of lot easier for said top side to hold out for win and pile on even more points - eg gloucester at ravers last year...

the fact that we have some of the best support - numbers wise we consistently sell out ravers, won magners league average gate league few years running - should make this even easier to achieve.
disagree with you however that our support vocally is one of best in world - not on last years showing anyway
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Glynncommando wrote:
See you at Quins when we drown out the locals. If we could keep the Shed quiet - we can certainly out sing the toffs at the Stoop :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
GC
The Shed were absolutly crapping themselves that day GC :lol:
Toffs should be easy pickings :D
Rory Best
Captain Chaos
Initiate

Post by Captain Chaos »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:Have to say lads the original post is extremely niave. Ulster has some of the best support (both vocal and in attendance) in the world, when it comes to rugby. Last year if we are truthful was dire and the support echoed what was happening on the field. Nothing more nothing less.

CC
you have backed up exactly what i was trying to say - thanks for that!
last year dire, support echoing poor show on the pitch

we should keep going, keep cheering - not only for the good stuff but also for the dire
yes we continually make the effort to turn up, last year however there was a lot of standing with hands in pockets and a lot of silence.

shouldnt be only getting behind the team when they're playing well, scoring tries, hitting hard, backline flowing etc...
otherwise if and when we let a couple of early tries in against a top side the crowd goes quiet and it makes it a hell of lot easier for said top side to hold out for win and pile on even more points - eg gloucester at ravers last year...

the fact that we have some of the best support - numbers wise we consistently sell out ravers, won magners league average gate league few years running - should make this even easier to achieve.
disagree with you however that our support vocally is one of best in world - not on last years showing anyway
You disagree? Who has a more vocal support in the world of rugby??

We were not quiet when a couple fo early tries went in. We were quiet when we won nothing and the team were consistantly played off the pitch. What was there to cheer about? Getting beat by teams that a year previously we would have steam rollered of the pitch!

I dont think what happened to our support was dreadfull. I think what happened was very realistic of the problems facing UR. Just my view. :cowboy:
"You can't please all the people all the time!" Mr. Robert Marley
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

thats exactly the typical pessisism that i was really hoping we'd put behind us this year

last year:
bad bit of play, groans and then silence

this year:
more of the same, judging by your posts???

and who is more vocal than ulster fans at ravenhill?
basing this on last year...munster/leinster/all welsh sides/most of guinness prem/lot of super 14 sides