Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Post by ColinS »

Sorry, have you been to a leinster game?

I disagree with you here mate.. since MW's came in, the great majority of posters have said things such as "fresh start", "I'll continue to stand up for the Ulstermen", and that we'll support our team through thick and thin.
Maybe if you read some older posts you'd realise this.

All you seem to be doing is bringing negative thoughts back, as that's what most of you're posts seem to be based around.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Just a quick point.
On many occasions I'm pretty quick to criticise decisions made both on the off the park. For example, I would like to have see our 1st team get a run out together before the start of the season. For example, I don't think the players we have signed are signicicantly better than the ones we have lost. I do not live in dream land and I don't wear white tinted glasses so I like to express my opinion (positive or negative).

However, as far as I am concerned this does not take away from my passion and commitment for Ulster rugby. I've had my season ticket paid for months ago. I'll be roaring and shouting support win,lose or draw no matter the weather. However, once I leave the safe walls of Fortress Ravers this forum gives me an opportunity to express my frustrations in a manner which I hope does not influence the team (ie it's better having a rant here than yelling abuse at the match- which I have heard many people do at Ravenhill).

Overall, the atmosphere ar Ravers is unbelievable. This is not football,this is not windsor park and neither would I want it to be. Last season thousands of fans stood behind the team thoughout a very very difficult season with little reward. Yes, the volume went down a little, but at the end of the day the players need to give the fans something to roar about - it's a 2-way thing.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Arguably, the best Ravenhill atmosphere (sound-wise) in recent seasons was the Cardiff game a couple of seasons ago. Remember the one where the crowd were able to convince the ref of his duty to bin the cardiff player after the penalty try?

What was different about that game? It was a 9:30 pm kick off. That made a difference in two ways IMHO: a) 2 hours extra drinking time; b) the PA was not being used as extensively.

The cajoling of the crowd to sing-a-long-a-sparky is IMHO counter-productive - once the PA stops so does the crowd. 'Stand-Up for ...' used to go on much longer and with much more enthusiasm, until it became 'mainstream' by playing it over the PA. Announce the scores and the MotM and be done with it!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

How I agree with that last sentiment. Vocal support without a noisy medium to help carry the tune is what is needed at more games. One of the most stirring starts to a game in recent times was the french national anthem during the 6N being sung without an accompanying band. It was inspiring and no doubt the players felt the passion from the crowd. I cannot stand the faux trumpets/DJ cr@p that comes from the stands when for example england footie team play. Get behind the lads this year with a few well-rehearsed songs, that everyone joins in... that's the way to show support. Musical support after a score is okay too, as it leads to a better atomosphere, and doesn't get in the way. :thumleft:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

good work, thats more like it now!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

I, for about the first time since reading this board, agree with Colzo. The original post is nonsense. If fans pay their money and are treated to abject, lifeless performances we are more than entitled to vent our frustrations.

To go in with a mindset of getting on players' backs is something that I have never seen at Ravenhill and something that I hope I never will. To keep cheering and clapping the lads off after a 0-30 scoreline is, actually, counter-productive as it suggests that it is in some way accpetable.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

BR wrote: The cajoling of the crowd to sing-a-long-a-sparky is IMHO counter-productive - once the PA stops so does the crowd. 'Stand-Up for ...' used to go on much longer and with much more enthusiasm, until it became 'mainstream' by playing it over the PA. Announce the scores and the MotM and be done with it!
Agreed BR. That period of individual player intro's etc was bit cringeworthy. Don't think we need any encouragement from any PA announcer to get behind the team...or at least we SHOULDN'T need it.
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

BPH wrote:The original post is nonsense. If fans pay their money and are treated to abject, lifeless performances we are more than entitled to vent our frustrations.

To go in with a mindset of getting on players' backs is something that I have never seen at Ravenhill and something that I hope I never will. To keep cheering and clapping the lads off after a 0-30 scoreline is, actually, counter-productive as it suggests that it is in some way accpetable.
:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

totally agree, the 'Ulster are Brill' brigade do my loaf in, we are there to support, but that doesn't mean we have to have a frontal lobotomy and sing inanely when we are being tonked 30-0. We have a right to voice our opinions good and bad, and if the players want the plaudits when things are going well, they should expect some honesty when they are not. Groans of frustration to me show that fans are invested in their team and want them to do well, and get disappointed too. Showing annoyance and frustration does not mean you aren't a decent supporter, I have travelled far and wide to support Ulster and it grates me when some happy clappy fan tries to dictate how a 'proper' supporter should behave at games!
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

lets get real for a moment people.it is US the fans who need to rock ravers not the boys..........if we make the atmosphere first it will set the tone for our boys to preform on the hallowed turf............................lets bring back FORTRESS RAVENHILL..............c'mon ulster :blueafro:
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

TheElephantMan wrote:lets get real for a moment people.it is US the fans who need to rock ravers not the boys..........if we make the atmosphere first it will set the tone for our boys to preform on the hallowed turf............................lets bring back FORTRESS RAVENHILL..............c'mon ulster :blueafro:
so we the paying punter have a greater obligation to perform than the professional players ... grow up! :roll:

you can go to ravenhill and shout and scream to your heart's content, fair play if thats your thing, but DO NOT demand it of everyone, many will not dance to your tune, but it does not mean they support Ulster any less!!!
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

well lets get AN atmosphere at least...............not just show our faces. :blueafro:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I've got an idea that might help the atmosphere a teensie weensie bit.

Why don't I "go back to making lots and lots of flags, 6-7 can never be enough for one man..." and then I could wave them and give them to others to wave! :cheers:

Give me a 'U'
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

I've got an idea too - can we bar people who shout "dodgy, dodgy kicker"?

And how's about a second verse for "Stand Up"? I personally enjoy a good chorus of "Stand up for the Custard Men", but only in the shower.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Ball Boy wrote: And how's about a second verse for "Stand Up"? I personally enjoy a good chorus of "Stand up for the Custard Men", but only in the shower.
Stand up for the Journeymen?
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I've got an idea that might help the atmosphere a teensie weensie bit.

Why don't I "go back to making lots and lots of flags, 6-7 can never be enough for one man..." and then I could wave them and give them to others to wave! :cheers:

Give me a 'U'
reckon you can churn out 200-300 for friday please?
i'd like mine to say 'I'd like a BJ on the pitch please Matt!'

in order to allow Cap'n Grumpy to meet demand - please have all orders with him by 4.30pm on Friday...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.