Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positive Support for the Men In White please!!!

Post by ColinM »

Can mine please say "I-Humph. Fly Half for the digital generation"

And perhaps the 2BC will have a bed sheet style welcome for all the new faces, to match the cheerio bed sheet last season?
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

The supporters equipment check list =

Filo wig :afro:
Bj flag
Pint carrier
Standup for the Ulstermen song booklet (covering all 200 new verses)
White shirt
Ulster scarf
Good jacket
Stout pair of shoes
The right attitude

and more?? :D
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterJock wrote:The supporters equipment check list =

Bj flag
Pint carrier
White shirt
Ulster scarf
Good jacket
Stout pair of shoes
The right attitude

You carry your Guinness in your shoes?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
UlsterJock wrote:The supporters equipment check list =

Bj flag
Pint carrier
White shirt
Ulster scarf
Good jacket
Stout pair of shoes
The right attitude

You carry your Guinness in your shoes?
The result of too much bootleg stout no doubt :wink:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pwrmoore wrote:The result of too much bootleg stout no doubt :wink:
:salut:
I'm not arguing -
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Ball Boy wrote:I've got an idea too - can we bar people who shout "dodgy, dodgy kicker"?
also, how about getting rid of 'I'm Ulster til I die, I know I am etc'
a few previous posts expressed their delight that Ravenhill is not like a football match, and not like Windsor park
sorry, but singing this has all the connotations associated with northern ireland football supporters singing it.

as an alternative, how about:
'Clinton is our guy, Clinton is our guy, i know he is I'm sure he is, Clinton is our guy'
or (if that comes across as a bit gay:
'i want an ulster fry...'
or (to baby humph):
'you're humphreys in disguise...'

taking it onto another level:
'we're not all blacks, we're ulster rugby!'

i'm also worried that filo feel left out :afro:
can the guy who sells ulster rugby merchandise at the terrace side of the ground - car stickers et al - get some afro wigs please?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

to the tune of yogi bear...

i know a bear that you dont know...sparky, sparky
i know a bear that you dont know, sparky, sparky bear
sparky, sparky bear, sparky, sparky bear
i know a bear that you dont know, sparky, sparky bear

(and when leinster come to town)
sparky has a little friend, leo, leo
sparky has a little friend, leo's not a bear
leo's not a bear, leo's not a bear
sparky has a little friend, leo's not a bear
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:also, how about getting rid of 'I'm Ulster til I die, I know I am etc'
a few previous posts expressed their delight that Ravenhill is not like a football match, and not like Windsor park
sorry, but singing this has all the connotations associated with northern ireland football supporters singing it.
Absolute poppycock!!!!

If you don't like it, fair enough, but to suggest it shouldn't be sung JUST because of an association with football, is simply pathetic!

If that's what you want, get rid of "Stand up for the Ulster Men" too - they were singing that at Windsor long before it caught on at Ravers.

If we could get half the atmosphere at Ravers as there is these days at Windsor we'd be doing well. Yes I know they're different sports and the fans react in different ways, but so long as it's not abusive or in poor taste, what's wrong with singing some of the same stuff as the footie fans? Sure a lot of football and rugby fans are one and the same anyway.

Anything else is pure snobbishness, and we can do without that at Ravers too!

Would you have the stewards at Ravenhill turn away "certain types"?

One Ulster man's money at the turnstyles is as good as another's, so long as they all behave.
I'm not arguing -
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:also, how about getting rid of 'I'm Ulster til I die, I know I am etc'
Absolute poppycock!!!!

If you don't like it, fair enough, but to suggest it shouldn't be sung JUST because of an association with football, is simply pathetic!

If that's what you want, get rid of "Stand up for the Ulster Men" too - they were singing that at Windsor long before it caught on at Ravers.

If we could get half the atmosphere at Ravers as there is these days at Windsor we'd be doing well. Yes I know they're different sports and the fans react in different ways, but so long as it's not abusive or in poor taste, what's wrong with singing some of the same stuff as the footie fans? Sure a lot of football and rugby fans are one and the same anyway.

Anything else is pure snobbishness, and we can do without that at Ravers too!

Here here Cap'n ... those 2 are the most rousing songs we sing .. in fact do we sing many others :silent: :silent:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

"Here here Cap'n ... those 2 are the most rousing songs we sing ..."

here here...

or hear hear???

:stir:
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

nothing wrong with football chants, as long as they're for us.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

true, agree with you that in principal there is nothing wrong with football chants at a rugby match.
:thumleft: generally they dont have big words and we can all remember them without too much difficulty :thumright:

there were several comments posted in response to my attempt to drum up a bit of atmosphere at ravenhill - suggesting that ravenhill was not like windsor park and never should be.

there are marked differences between football and rugby, and indeed between a football crowd and a rugby crowd.

at windsor for example, there is a huge element of supporters who are seized on buckfast from lunchtime/sing sectarian songs as loudly and viciously as possible/throw coins at referees and opposition players

at ravenhill we at least wait until after work before hitting our thick, dark drink of choice. we also dont throw coins at referees although whichever monkey 'took charge' for the worcester friendly might have admittedly deserved it, also justin marshall and gavin henson receive only a bit of verbal banter - we're way too tight to part with our hard earned shrapnel

while we could learn a bit from the norn iron supporters about passionately getting behind the team, there is also a lot that we should strive to keep away from ravenhill. i would love to see a lot more singing and chanting, and a lot more flag waving. here windsor licks ravenhill hands down.

keep the negative elements out of it though - and im sorry but 'ulster till i die' does have sectarian connections. while the crowd that sing it at ravers in all likelihood are not die-hard loyalists who viciously spit out the words, and certainly do not mean to cause any offence, there is a lot of discontent and muttering when it starts from many ulster fans.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:at windsor for example, there is a huge element of supporters who are seized on buckfast from lunchtime/sing sectarian songs as loudly and viciously as possible/throw coins at referees and opposition players
We've been here before. You obviously haven't been near or seen anything of what goes on in Windsor for quite some time now. Yes, there was a time when that was the case, and it plumbed the depths with the Neil Lennon debacle, but since then there has been nothing, and I mean NOTHING, zero zilch - a fact noted and recognised by UEFA. Windsor will be a long time shaking off its historic past, but that should not take away from the great strides taken by the IFA ALONG SIDE the supporters' clubs and the fans in general. An international match at Windsor park is now a great family occasion which people harking back to the dark days will not change. I actually hear more foul language at Ravers these days than I do at Windsor, where the fans themselves seem to adopt a zero tolerance of such behaviour. Football fans in general are part of society, and cannot be removed from some of the sectarian nonsense that still infects our country, but at least within the confines of Windsor, they seem to have it under control, and that should be applauded, not swept under the carpet or belittled. I don't attend Irish League matches, but if the same cannot be said of behaviour at these, that is a pity, but let's compare like with as near like as possible. The IFA is at least trying to combat the diseases of society, and are not helped by some of the twaddle said and written by some who know nothing they're talking about.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:..... and im sorry but 'ulster till i die' does have sectarian connections. while the crowd that sing it at ravers in all likelihood are not die-hard loyalists who viciously spit out the words, and certainly do not mean to cause any offence, there is a lot of discontent and muttering when it starts from many ulster fans.
:scratch: :roll:
WHAT!!!!!??? That doesn't even deserve a reply!

Now can we get back to the subject of the thread, or should you change it to "Positive support for the men in white and while we're about it, lets be NEGATIVE towards and slag off the men in green"
I'm not arguing -
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

no interest in being negative about northern ireland football - windsor or irish league in general

actually disagree with a lot of your comments about the extent to which it has cleaned up its act - have been at recent games, and when there have seen a lot of which you claim is now gone from an international occasion at windsor. good occasions to go to, enjoyable events to be at, but not all you claim to be.

however: consider this a line drawn under the windsor/norn iron/men in green references

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you're right in point - this website is about the men in white - ulster rugby. more specifically, this thread is about trying to drum up some positive support

any other innovative ways to get behind our lads this year, besides the same old songs?
few more flags, afro wigs etc - all been mentioned and i for one reckon they'd inject a bit of colour to the place
possibility of a few more songs???

any gifted lyricists among us?
failing that, any other chants we can plagerise from other sports?

heard that at leinster they hand out drums, then collect at end of game. means they are there at every game, people dont have to remember to bring them, or get bored and dump them on the way home... creates a bit of noise
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

lot of negative stuff so far on this thread lads towards WhiteKnightoftheweld, he has a good point though, it'd be great to see a few more flags etc in the crowd. And I don't mean the sort of "flags" given out last season by the UB before one of the matches (can't remember which one) which weren't big enough to blow your nose. It'd be good if the branch got some 5' by 3' flags with the Ulster Rugby logo on them to buy, or are they already available?
Really?