Team v Edinburgh

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Team v Edinburgh

Post by cables »

Big changes for Ulster ahead of Edinburgh clash
Matt Williams has today named a dramatically different side to take on Edinburgh at Ravenhill tomorrow night.
His starting line up, sees eight personnel changes and two positional changes from the side that was cruelly defeated at the Liberty Stadium last weekend.
Tom Court, Ed O’Donoghue, Stephen Ferris and Paul Steinmetz are all promoted from the bench, while Ulster Captain Rory Best and strong back row David Pollock both return from injury for this crucial clash.

Darren Cave and Cillian Willis are given the nod ahead of Rob Dewey and Paul Marshall who have both been dropped from the squad.

Williams explains his selection policy for this fixture:

“The changes I have made are all based on performance, apart from Kieron Dawson. Kieron was exceptional last week and has been our best player lately, he is on the bench only because we are giving him a rest from the starting line up this week.”

“It’s great to have Paul Steinmetz back to full fitness, he had an operation during the summer and we are so pleased to finally get him back on the pitch. I thought Paul played well against the Ospreys and provided quality leadership on the pitch.”

“Darren Cave is back in the team, he is very strong defensively. We tried a different centre partnership against the Ospreys and it didn’t work, so we are going to see if Cave and Steinmetz will work tomorrow night.”

“Timoci needs a break, he has been starting in every game and I want to give him a rest on the bench” continued Williams.

The Ulster Coach knows what to expect against Edinburgh and has been keeping a close eye on them recently:

“Edinburgh are a very good side, Andy Robinson is a world class coach and their defence has improved enormously under his direction. They had a great win over the Scarlets a few weeks ago and played some high quality rugby against the Dragons at the weekend. They know our form has been poor of late, and will be coming over here looking for a win.”

It’s no secret that Ulster have not had the best start to their Magners League campaign, but following on from some stern words with his squad on Monday, coach Matt Williams is realistic about his side’s performance:

“The team are all really looking forward to the game tomorrow night; we want to make amends for what happened in Swansea. We all know our performance was below standard and are looking forward to putting things right.”
“The team really need their supporters over the next few months. They are going through a hard time and need the Ulster supporters to get behind them and will them to a win. I would love to see that Ulster spirit in the support throughout the province.”

Ulster Team
Ulster Team: (15-9) B Cunningham; C Schifcofske, D Cave, P Steinmetz, A Trimble; N O'Connor, C Willis; (1-8) T Court, R Best (C), BJ Botha, E O’Donoghue, R Caldwell, S Ferris, D Pollock, R Diack

Replacements: (16-22) N Brady, J Fitzpatrick, C Del Fava, K Dawson/M McCullough, I Boss, I Humphreys, T Nagusa
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
28'
Novice

Re: Team v Edinburgh

Post by 28' »

OOPS sorry :roll: just posted the team on the Ulster Embra post.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Interesting selection especially the Willis / Boss switch, I didn't see that one coming.
The Dawson / McCullough naming is strange but by the reading of the blurb it looks like Dawson on the bench and Matt out of squad :? Dawson would be the better option on the bench in my thoughts for his craftiness more so than anything else.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

AHH why is Nial O'Connor still starting?? what does the guy have to do to get dropped?
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Mr Frosty wrote:AHH why is Nial O'Connor still starting?? what does the guy have to do to get dropped?
shi >#ing in MW's shoes might be one way
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Ah come off the NOC bashing gents. It would be difficult for any FH to have made an impression in our last games, IH has come on at the end of games when we have bene in the ascendancy - NOC did the same in the Scarlets game and did well - everyone calling for him to start after that. I do think IH deserves a chance but NOC doesnt deserve a bashing, apart from anything else he has a really good kicking game, passing isnt bad and his tackling is very good indeed. Hopefully this week our pack will have parity at least, and with quicker ball from Willis and Steiner outside him NOC will do well.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I think I detected from an unrelated comment by one on the players panel last evening that NO'C would be starting.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

Not bashing just if other players cant be dropped for being off form then why cant he? Ian deserves his chances (he must by now wish he taken up the London Irish option).
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

ColinM wrote:Ah come off the NOC bashing gents. It would be difficult for any FH to have made an impression in our last games, IH has come on at the end of games when we have bene in the ascendancy - NOC did the same in the Scarlets game and did well - everyone calling for him to start after that. I do think IH deserves a chance but NOC doesnt deserve a bashing, apart from anything else he has a really good kicking game, passing isnt bad and his tackling is very good indeed. Hopefully this week our pack will have parity at least, and with quicker ball from Willis and Steiner outside him NOC will do well.

First class defence Colin..............bring your boots the marra night. :salut:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

browner wrote:
ColinM wrote:Ah come off the NOC bashing gents. It would be difficult for any FH to have made an impression in our last games, IH has come on at the end of games when we have bene in the ascendancy - NOC did the same in the Scarlets game and did well - everyone calling for him to start after that. I do think IH deserves a chance but NOC doesnt deserve a bashing, apart from anything else he has a really good kicking game, passing isnt bad and his tackling is very good indeed. Hopefully this week our pack will have parity at least, and with quicker ball from Willis and Steiner outside him NOC will do well.
First class defence Colin..............bring your boots the marra night. :salut:
He's young, he's locally brewed and we have seen a few signs that he might be a decent player - so everyone really wants him to succeed. But he hasnt played well in the last couple of games, is a pro, so isnt immune to some stick. Personally I would have played Humph, despite having very little idea of how good he is.
UlsterInDublin
Novice

Post by UlsterInDublin »

I like the look of thias team...willis will give us better service, ferris will be a bog boost, steiner can control things in the centre....my only complaint would be that schifcofske should be full back but i agree that nagusa deserves a 'break' whether the reason given for his benching is tiredness or just plain crapness we never will know!!!"

Lets get back on track Ulster........Come on the white knights!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

At present Nial has the 10 shirt and it is up to Ian to get it off him by pushing in practice and when he does get on the pitch, I'm sure he is working twoards that goal and will get there at some stage and for the time being the competition can only be good for them both.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Given IH's performance against the O's I can accually think of no reason to pick him

First pass was blind and to an Osprey and he tried to tackle the space instead of the man with the ball for the last try
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Would like to have seen baby humph getting a shot. But i think with the team Williams has picked around NOC I am silently optimistic. It's the team i would have picked. Is that a good thing though??.....
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

When is young Wallace back?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999