Park 'n' ride.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Park 'n' ride.

Post by browner »

Some chaotic scenes on Mount Merrion last night after the game.
Seemed to me there was only one bus in operation but the biggest problem was the long rank of Value cab taxi's leading to no pull in for the bus consequently the road was blocked while fans boarded.

This lead to some exchanges between a PSNI officer and the bus driver and fans, PSNI actually stopped more boarding, though by this time the bus was full.

U/R and the PSNI need to get this sorted.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Park 'n' ride.

Post by Snipe Watson »

We need a new stadium with decent access.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

We need a new stadium with decent access.
But in the meantime. :roll:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Onslow wasn't great either, seemed like only one bus on, absolutely loads of people going back, PSNI & UR have to either designate separate areas for taxis or tell them to clear off.
PSNI officer at the Portugal game only let our Park n Ride man stay at the ground for 5 minutes! He was driving a bus back with about half a dozen people on it.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

There was a Value Cab supervisor, complete with luminous jacket, directing cabs in Mount Merrion last night. Unfortunately he just seemed to be making the congestion worse as he encouraged at least one driver to do three point turns right outside the gates in front of the park and ride buses!
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

YoungMan wrote:colin are you saying that the "Official Taxi Company" for Ulster Rugby should bog off (would that include their sponsorship money)
If they are clogging up a service made for fans, yes.

However, are they sponsoring UR or me? ;)
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
28'
Novice

Post by 28' »

Had a word with poor PSNI officer trying to do points duty. He said he had had enough and headed the cover of the 4wd.
Traffic last night was the worst I have seen for a while. Which is a bit of a worry as it was far from a full house!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Don't know if it had anything to do with problem but I noticed blue lights down at the roundabout about half way through second half and there seemed to be some sort of incident as they did not move for about 15 mins.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
SDK
Novice

Post by SDK »

Was at the Mount Merrion entrance when the problem arose and when tempers start to rise the PSNI walked away. Also noticed the bus driver was getting angry withe PSNI for not helping. The bus was sitting blocking the traffic when the PSNI forced the driver to move. I got the next bus and another officer gave the driver his card and asked him to contact him in an effort to sort out the problem. At one time they were a row of at least 10 cabs waiting along the Mount Merrion entrance.

I dread to think what it will like for next week's match or the match against Leinster on the 27th Dec.

UR needs to get this sorted out or people will not used the service.

Are the taxis allowed to pick up passengers with being pre-booked? This is not an official taxis rank so I think that these cabs need to be prebooked.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

SDK wrote:Are the taxis allowed to pick up passengers with being pre-booked? This is not an official taxis rank so I think that these cabs need to be prebooked.
http://www.drdni.gov.uk/taxis.pdf

In Belfast there are two types of taxis;Public Hire and Private Hire

Public Hire taxis are London cab type and have yellow taxi licence plates. They leave from taxi ranks in the centre of Belfast and can be flagged down.

Private Hire taxis have green taxi licence plates and are usually normal cars.These must be booked in advance or by calling to a taxi depot. They cannot be flagged down in the street.

Taxis cannot therefore sit outside Ravenhill and tout for business, however, I think there is a taxi phone on the wall outside the branch office, so maybe they have been pre-booked.

They cannot however block the gates at Ravenhill or obstruct the passage of other vehicles down Onslow/Ravenhill Pk or along Mt Merrion Avenue.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

The pick up point is usually directly facing the M/Merrion gates, should be easy enough for the taxi's to leave this clear for bus pull in.
Failing that we could build a new stadium. :roll:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

SDK wrote: Are the taxis allowed to pick up passengers with being pre-booked? This is not an official taxis rank so I think that these cabs need to be prebooked.
They are prebook only, I have used them a couple of times.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Rooster wrote:
SDK wrote: Are the taxis allowed to pick up passengers with being pre-booked? This is not an official taxis rank so I think that these cabs need to be prebooked.
However, some do sit outside as 'touts' - as I have simply walked out of Ravenhill, asked the driver if he fancies a job, and off I go.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinS wrote:
Rooster wrote:
However, some do sit outside as 'touts' - as I have simply walked out of Ravenhill, asked the driver if he fancies a job, and off I go.
Now I've found the bar steward that stole my taxi last time :twisted:
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Just as a matter of interest - what is the definition of 'Belfast' in the taxi legislation? Could it be perfectly all right for a white-signed joe to pick up ad hoc at Mt Merrion, but not at Onslow. :scratch:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk