Re-Development of Ravenhill

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re-Development of Ravenhill

Post by Cockatrice »

Reading this mornings News Letter and up pops a full page article on the re-development of Ravenhill. Clearly in my opinion more proof that the Maze is pie is the sky regarding the playing of CL & HEC games albeit the really big Q-F or S-F against the right opposition.

One thing however it states that Phase One will see the erection of a roof over the often wind swept fans on the famous terrace. It further goes on to draw comparison to a similar terrace at the 'Shed' in Gloucester.

Phase Two will see the new stand at the car park end with 'some seats' as well as the other facilities.

The plans that I seen in the BT not that long ago clearly suggested that Phase One was much more than a roof over the terrace with a stand for 600 and corportate boxes and Phase two was a fully seated stand with the relevant facilities below and behind.

Is something changing?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

This will refresh memories from 31 March 2005.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/11_2480.php

I don't have the News Letter to read it and can find nothing online in NL, BT, BBC or UR.

From what you write CT there may be a change or the News Letter have got it wrong?? We should know soon however.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cables- It may be a mistake but it is clear that talk of a stand is now talk of a roof over the terrace in my opinion two completely different things.

If UR are still selling the £5M re-development surely you would want to push the quality of the stand which was produced by way of architectual drawings and not artist impressions.

References were clearly made to the 80% of the terrace remaining, season ticket seats being available and corporate boxes as well as bars etc. Have we been spun a yarn or has the newspaper got it wrong in the words of HM 'we have a right to know'
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Ulster Ed on UR MB has posted:
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The plans for re-development are still as per those outlined Belfast Telegraph (subject to planning). Phase 1 is the construction of a stand behind existing terrace and a roof over the terrace. Phase 2 will see a stand built at the office end of the ground which will also house team and admin facilities.
Glad that is cleared up and quickly may I add.
Don't need to buy a copy now!
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

i take it a bowl style stadium like stade français is out of the question... that'd be pretty smart n'est ce pas? :roll:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Explanation offered so I assume that blame must lie with the paper for misrepresenting the development. The covering of the terrace with a roof was the way it was going before they changed their minds and came up with the fancy stand with terracing, seating, corporate & other facilities.

They are securing a lot of money from government and hopefully some from private means to build the plans they submitted in the BT. I was simply worried that the fans had been duped but assurances from UR have now dispelled those fears and I look forward to what is proposed for development.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

jamesie wrote:i take it a bowl style stadium like stade français is out of the question... that'd be pretty smart n'est ce pas? :roll:
Looks good but you end up being pretty distant unfortunately. By the way Monsieur Jamesie to go slightly off topic. I found another little otter for you which you might find amusing.

Colin :twisted:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

So Lahnden's got the 2012 Olympics.
Makes the National stadium a certainty.

But we've got to make sure NOT at the Maze.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Freddie Benson wrote:So Lahnden's got the 2012 Olympics.
Makes the National stadium a certainty.
Does it? I thought the revised plan was for all events to be concentrated around London (as per BOC spokesman today).
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

really?! :shock:

suits me... beach volley ball in jamesie's back garden :twisted:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Gallons of Premium Belgian lager and Holywood Mike to supply the Cheerleaders.

Colin :twisted:
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

and you're all invited!!! :thumright:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The "suits" that want the white elephant will probably use the Olympics as an excuse to get the thing built. Maybe they'll claim there's a chance of the shove-ha'penny qualifying rounds to be held here.
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Don't care if they build it or not as long as we don't go and play our games there. Mind you still can't figure out how they can get a business case that justifies the expenditure :x
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ding, the spin has started already! This is from an Irish news site.

"Maze Prison 'a site for Olympic soccer'
06/07/2005 - 15:10:46

A £55m (€81m) stadium on the site of Northern Ireland’s Maze Prison could stage three Olympic soccer matches in 2012 if the project gets the go-ahead from the British government, it emerged today.

As Londoners celebrated the awarding of the 2012 Games to their city, sources close to a bid to build a new 30,000 seater stadium on the site of the jail, where 10 republican hunger strikers died in 1981, suggested today’s decision by the International Olympic Committee could boost funding for the project.

A source told PA: “At this stage the (British) government is in talks with the main sporting organisations in the province about a business plan for the proposed stadium.

“If the stadium is deemed viable and approved by the (British) government, it will be offered to the London organising committee as an Olympics venue.

“London made a great play about spreading the Games out to towns and cities throughout the UK and there have been indications that the province could get two or three of the soccer matches.

“Certainly, the success of London’s bid could help boost funding for the stadium, with lottery money likely to be released to Olympic venues and facilities.”

Hampden Park in Glasgow, Villa Park in Birmingham and St James’s Park in Newcastle have already been earmarked as venues for Olympics soccer matches.

Weymouth in Dorset has also been identified as a venue for the sailing events.

However, right throughout the UK cities will also be preparing to host competitors, coaches, Olympic officials and their families in the weeks leading up to the Games.

The Republic will also hope to benefit.

Welcoming the IOC’s decision, Northern Ireland Sports Minister David Hanson offered the North's services to competitors.

“In the run up to the event, competing nations will need to acclimatise and prepare for the Games,” he said.

“We can offer competitors, coaches, administrators and friends a warm welcome, good training facilities and a unique opportunity to experience our wide and varied culture.

“During their stay, visitors will need to be accommodated and entertained. In addition, the proximity of the host city will encourage more local firms to bid for the lucrative contracts which will be up for grabs. All this can only be good news for the economy.”

Last week his Northern Ireland Office colleague Lord Rooker announced the setting up of a monitoring group to look at plans to revamp the site of the abandoned prison near Lisburn in Co Antrim where some of the province’s most infamous loyalist and republican prisoners were jailed.

As well as plans for the stadium, it is proposed the 365 acre site will house an international equestrian centre, an International Centre for Conflict Transformation, a zone for industrial development and an arts centre."