Ospreys v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Ospreys v Ulster

Post by ColinM »

Heres the squad. Damn the Ireland selectors and their 2 year RWC warmup :scratch:
Ulster include summer signing Tamaiti Horua for Saturday's Magners League away game against the Ospreys.

Cillian Willis, Clinton Schifcofske are also included but Stephen Ferris, Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble and Bryn Cunningham are among the absentees.

Wales star Jonathan Thomas returns to the Ospreys squad having missed almost seven months with a groin injury.

Ex-Ulster man Tommy Bowe joins the Ospreys' fellow Lions Mike Phillips and James Hook in the 24-man squad.

Young flanker Thomas Anderson and centre Jonny Shiels are also included but Cunningham, Ryan Caldwell and David Pollock are all ruled out because of injury.

Ferris, Wallace and Trimble are not available for Ulster because of Ireland commitments.

Wales flanker Jonathan Thomas returns to the Ospreys squad for the league visit of Ulster, having missed almost seven months with a groin injury.

Ex-Ulster man Tommy Bowe joins the Ospreys' fellow Lions Mike Phillips and James Hook in the 24-man squad.

Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin was scathing of Sunday's performance which saw the Irish province lose 23-6 to the Dragons. "We were physically beaten at the breakdown," said McLaughlin.

"In general, the team were like frightened rabbits in car headlights.

"However, it is still just one game. We have had four good performances ahead of the league campaign and this is the first negative and a reality check for the boys."

With the new campaign just started, McLaughlin is likely to make a number of changes to the starting line-up which could see him toss in a few new younger faces who showed up well in pre-season games.

I'm sure that Ulster will be far improved from last week

Ospreys forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys
Ospreys have won three of their last four matches in the league, but have lost two of their last three games against Irish opposition at the Liberty Stadium.

Ulster have slipped to successive defeats in the competition, at Scarlets and at the Dragons, and will be keen to end an unwanted run of 15 successive games in Wales without a win.

Ospreys have won their last five matches against Ulster in all competitions since a 16-17 defeat at Ravenhill in the Magners League on 21 September, 2007.

The Ulstermen's only previous victory at the Liberty Stadium was on their first visit on 26 May, 2006, when they secured the Magners League title.

"Ulster started poorly last year but came strong towards the end, they're a difficult team," said Ospreys forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys.

"They've got a new coaching staff and they start with two tough away games, but I'm sure that they will be far improved from last week.

"We hope to get a good crowd and get off to a strong start at home, we're trying to set some standards here. We've got a long way to go but hopefully we'll get there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ospreys (from): Duncan Jones, Paul James, Cai Griffiths, Richard Hibbard, Huw Bennett, Andy Lloyd, Ian Gough, Tom Smith, Jerry Collins, Jonathan Thomas, Marty Holah, Steve Tandy, Filo Tiata, Ryan Jones; Barry Davies, Jonny Vaughton, Nikki Walker, Tommy Bowe, Jonathan Spratt, Andrew Bishop, Dan Biggar, James Hook, Jamie Nutbrown, Mike Phillips.

Ulster (from): Nigel Brady, BJ Botha, Bryan Young, Ed O'Donoghue, Andi Kyriacou, Dan Tuohy, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Thomas Anderson, Tamaiti Horua, Declan Fitzpatrick, Timoci Nagusa, Darren Cave, Niall O'Connor, Simon Danielli, Ian Whitten, Paul Marshall, Isaac Boss, Ian Humphreys, Jonny Shiels, Cillian Willis, Clinton Schifcofske

Referee: Alan Lewis
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ospreys v Ulster

Post by Rooster »

Will be interesting to see how all provinces stick to this RWC 2011 farce, crazy to think resting players in 2009 for a tournament in 2011 :scratch: Wonder what happens with this years Lions players, like does their quota start after they are allowed back or does it include the weeks they are already off, I note DArcy and Hayes are in this weeks squads.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:Will be interesting to see how all provinces stick to this RWC 2011 farce, crazy to think resting players in 2009 for a tournament in 2011 :scratch: Wonder what happens with this years Lions players, like does their quota start after they are allowed back or does it include the weeks they are already off, I note DArcy and Hayes are in this weeks squads.
Noted D'Arcy & Hayes all right. Surely the best way to rest the 2011 players would be not to select any of them for any form of summer tour at the end of this season. I'm all for resting the Lions players but Paddy, Trimble and Ferris have only played one and a half games between them, none have reached match fitness yet but they're all being told to rest. :scratch:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:Will be interesting to see how all provinces stick to this RWC 2011 farce, crazy to think resting players in 2009 for a tournament in 2011 :scratch: Wonder what happens with this years Lions players, like does their quota start after they are allowed back or does it include the weeks they are already off, I note DArcy and Hayes are in this weeks squads.
crazy and pointless. I can't understand what they think this will achieve. The players need game-time especialy those returning from injury. If they haven't been playing regular high quality rugby they are not going to me sharp or match fit when the RWC comes around. You mmight protect them a little form the risk of a long term injury but barring that I can see no point at all.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:
Noted D'Arcy & Hayes all right. Surely the best way to rest the 2011 players would be not to select any of them for any form of summer tour at the end of this season. I'm all for resting the Lions players but Paddy, Trimble and Ferris have only played one and a half games between them, none have reached match fitness yet but they're all being told to rest. :scratch:
My thought on it was, why would any young player really bust himself over the next year as exclusion fom this squad sounds like you are not going to RWC anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Why do they always leave Court out of these reports? - he is also not available as in the Irish squad. He'd make a great spy - nobody notices him!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Setanta wrote:Why do they always leave Court out of these reports? - he is also not available as in the Irish squad. He'd make a great spy - nobody notices him!!
Judging by some of his performances towards the end of last season, I'm not surprised nobody moticed him :oops:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

NOpe, only centrally contracted players. Geordan Murphy and Neil Best aren't there either.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

He would be if the Ospreys would release him, none of the overseas based players are involved in the training camp in this coming week or presumably in the RWC2011 Player Management Program (being outside the jurisdiction of the IRFU).
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

notj wrote:none of the overseas based players are involved in the training camp in this coming week or presumably in the RWC2011 Player Management Program
i knew all along that going to the ospreys was a backwards step for tommy as far as his international prospects were concerned...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Hot in the Tropics
Novice

Post by Hot in the Tropics »

What a complete and utter farce telling Wallace, Trimble and Court to rest due to international squad membership. All of them spend more time holding tackle bags and attending meetings and getting splinters in the ar*e when on duty. I guess nice if you stand the boredom. Caldwell, Cunningham and Pollock all injured - what's up with McCullough? Not worth a mention any more? Who else injured?
Keep it real; not inflamatory