Schools Cup 2010

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Schools Cup 2010

Post by Beattiespastie »

My prediction for this year is MCB at a canter...the squad they have for this season is top notch and from what I have witnessed so far they are on the pace from the start. The sight of Davy Wells still running about like a madman with the youngsters does the heart good and I guess thats where the winning ethos starts...he picks them up and provides the skill sets in year one and his son takes them at the end to lift the silverware!...and yes I am an MCB supporter :afro: :mrgreen:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Schools Cup 2010

Post by fuzzylogic »

As much as it pains me to say it, INST, as far as im aware they have only lost 3 or 4 from last year!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

It will be tight enough..it always is...Blackrock dished out a beating to the Inst lads at the weekend which shows you that the old Leinster production line is as strong as ever. MCB struggeld to a narrow 20 v 17 win over BRA so its probably too early to call yet :?
Instonian
Novice

Post by Instonian »

I would say the usuals will have shaped up by cup time, as far as inst go the thrashing was dished out to basically their 3rd string team. missing 10 from potential squad. ballymena will be solid outfit, along with regent armagh and ccb in my opinion
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

All sides will be coming into the competition strong this year again but I cannot see beyond INST/METHODY as both set ups have strong panels coming through.The Medallions will be a different matter this year as I dont think MCB have a strong enough side to compete but its early days yet.
Instonian
Novice

Post by Instonian »

True bill, as an instonian the cancellation of the usual inst methody match has really ticked me off, espec as its our 200th year..your opinion?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Instonian wrote:True bill, as an instonian the cancellation of the usual inst methody match has really ticked me off, espec as its our 200th year..your opinion?
well when you get to 400 you'll get over it :roll:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

Beattiespastie wrote: The sight of Davy Wells still running about like a madman with the youngsters does the heart good and I guess thats where the winning ethos starts...
i'm not sure whether the blame lies with aul davy or the whole methody set up, but they have a lot to answer for imho. far too many quality players have left mcb with no desire to take their rugby further, as the joy of the game has been sucked out of them, after several years of training and being treated like professionals. mcb are an unbelievably successful side, but at what cost? it is no coincidence that they produce very few players who go on to the top levels of the game, compared to the likes of armagh or ballymena.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
Instonian
Novice

Post by Instonian »

i think that could be down to quins havin poor emphasis on attracting players to stay at home when they leave mcb rather than go to the mainland and play for a pub side, ballymena and dungannon have these good youngsters as there u20 sides are strong and from there contracts are offered to the stand out players. any news on mcb result this sat? inst put about 20 on coleraine with little effort.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

semi mental wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote: The sight of Davy Wells still running about like a madman with the youngsters does the heart good and I guess thats where the winning ethos starts...
i'm not sure whether the blame lies with aul davy or the whole methody set up, but they have a lot to answer for imho. far too many quality players have left mcb with no desire to take their rugby further, as the joy of the game has been sucked out of them, after several years of training and being treated like professionals. mcb are an unbelievably successful side, but at what cost? it is no coincidence that they produce very few players who go on to the top levels of the game, compared to the likes of armagh or ballymena.
Are you seriously trying to say that MCB train more and take rugby more seriously than do Inst or Campbell. Wise up!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

MCB completely outplayed Ballymena puting 36 points on them in a solid display....as I said I cannot see beyond the big two.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Was down at the home of the second best schools cup team in the North this morning and watched a vastly improved young MCB medallion side beating Inst in a hard fought game that went down to the wire ( largely thanks to some splendid home reffing!...).The weather conditions didnt help the young lads on either team but all the good rugby was coming from the boys in Blue although they were guilty of too many niggly infringements at the breakdown which kept Inst in the game but in this regard the young ref was a bit whistle happy in favour of his own boys.
Its testimony to the coaching talent at MCB under Creighton that this bunch of young lads have went from nearly rans to front runners aided and abeited by their prop called 'Ross' who looks like he could run through a brick wall!Taking nothing away from the Inst lads who played well and have a good side in development as well...Campbell should be an interesting challenge as they were outstanding in third year last year.
playingadvantage
Novice

Post by playingadvantage »

Any word on how the Ulster schools got on at the Blackrock Tournament
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Nothing as yet..must make a phone call or two..
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

MCB won the Blackrock invitational tournament beating the hosts along the way ! That is quite an achievement and bodes well for this years schol cup run :D