NEW BOSS

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: NEW BOSS

Post by Snipe Watson »

Can we not just give the guy a chance?
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Remember where you're posting, Snipe...

These lot don't give anyone a chance!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:Can we not just give the guy a chance?
Don't be silly Snipe :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

well, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

but a rather underwhelming candidate, I would say..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Can we not just give the guy a chance?
Well said! :salut:

Problem is there will be too many in 6 months, 1 year or 5 years wanting to say "I told you so"
(probably because someone knocked on and cost us a score in a match - but that'll be the CEO's fault)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

"Problem is there will be too many in 6 months, 1 year or 5 years wanting to say "I told you so"
(probably because someone knocked on and cost us a score in a match - but that'll be the CEO's fault)"

Or maybe they'll be saying it because they were right all along Grumps. :roll:
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

Interesting selection of views and posts on the new CEO, I have met the individual on a number of occasions, and would know one of his brothers very well, have to say he is a very decent guy who may do well as CEO, depending on why he was chosen…….?

That said, I’m sorry I didn’t put my own CV in! I would have thought that experience in commercial direction would have been at the forefront; have UR gone for a good administrator, rather than a hard-nosed commercial figure?
Again, if you think about it, there shouldn’t really be a problem with that either, as a team leader he does have people in place who are supposed to carry out commercial functions, maybe his role will be to get the best (or better) from that commercial team, rather than having to do it himself?

His current role, in my opinion, is one which requires a high degree of lobbying Government departments, creating awareness of issues which affect those who rely on his charity to bring about change and improvement, a knowledge of dealing with committees and other voluntary bodies (sound familiar?), maybe this is why he was the preferred candidate?

As Snipe says, give him a chance.

Wish him well in the post, as I said above, I can’t complain, I didn’t apply…………
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gary wrote:"Problem is there will be too many in 6 months, 1 year or 5 years wanting to say "I told you so"
(probably because someone knocked on and cost us a score in a match - but that'll be the CEO's fault)"

Or maybe they'll be saying it because they were right all along Grumps. :roll:
Maybe so, Gary. Maybe so.

The fact is that the appointment has been made, Ulster will have to work wth that. There is nothing we, as the supporters, can do about that ..... now.

You would think to see some reaction, however that some are just waiting for him to fail ...... possibly even hoping for him to fail. Personally I hope he is successful, because that success will be for the best for Ulster Rugby.

While I can see why some have concerns (I have them myself), I don't blame the guy for wanting the job, and it ain't his fault he got it. If it doesn't work out, perhaps we should be looking at those who made the appointment, not the candidate.

Personally, I hope for the best, and fear for the worst, but in the meantime, I will withhold judgement, and also hold fire on criticism until such times as I feel it is actually justified. I don't feel the need to get my retaliation in first.

Welcome to your new post Mr Logan, and good luck .... you're gonna need it.
I'm not arguing -
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Some posts here remind me of those doubting whether Brian McLaughlin was up to the job in the summer.

I wonder if those would be the same as the people doubting our new CEO already.
As others have said give the guy a chance for pity sake. :banghead:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Don't think your assertion is either true or fair to be honest Grumps.
May not be true or fair, but it is an impression I have got, which is all I implied in my post. But hey, we've all got opinions.
Red Hand Hero wrote:People may not agree that he was the 'right' appointment on the basis of the other two candidates relevant experience but that is speculation on our part because we do not know what was asked, said or inferred during the interview process.

Personally, on the face of it, he appears to be the weakest of the three candidates interviewed however that does not mean he cannot be a success as CEO of Ulster Rugby and I too hope he is a success as it will be to the ultimate benefit of UR.

Above all I just hope he's not another FC that'll thrive on cronyism, back-scratching and try to establish a personal fiefdom.

Finally lets also be honest, success is relative and in relation to his predecessor pretty much anything coming close to 'success' will be better than what has gone before.
I can go along with that.
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I hope also the man does well in the job but I still have reservations on his qualifications for the job, he does not meet the quoted qualifications described in the job description, someone somewhere has given him promotions he does not have; eg
He is currently Chief Executive of the Royal National Institute of the Blind.
Sorry but I have met the CEO of RNIB and her name is Lesley-Anne Alexander not Shane Logan, he is a director in NI RNIB though.
Now things like this make me and others wonder who has/is telling porkies, did Shane embellish his post to make it look better for UR or did UR do it to make it look better for us numpties.
Other people have noticed similar things which on the face of it do not match up either, and I have little doubt they also are correct, now this all leaves me extremely sceptical as to the entire selection process especially when you take into account the qualifications of the other 2 gents we know were shortlisted.
Until Ulster Rugby puts out a statement clarifying this info I will remain sceptical of the entire organisations ability to even run a pissup in a brewery.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

>............
Last edited by nonplussed on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

following on from Rooster's post, here it is in black and white:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/aboutus/organisa ... ement.aspx

in the age of google, bullsh1tting on your resume is a risky business...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:I will remain sceptical of the entire organisations ability to even run a pissup in a brewery.
No change there then! :roll:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

darkside lightside wrote:following on from Rooster's post, here it is in black and white:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/aboutus/organisa ... ement.aspx

in the age of google, bullsh1tting on your resume is a risky business...
Bullsh1tting on your resume is a risky business in a place the size of Norn Irn as well.
His first senior position was as General Manager of the world famous Harland and Wolff Shipbuilders
Someone really having a laugh with that one, now where is Anette Olsen's phone number as I'm sure she will remember him as her general manager :roll: :wink:
Early to mid 90's Browner were you in shipyard then ?
Rory Best