Ladyboys v Glasgow off

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Ladyboys v Glasgow off

Post by Rooster »

Match off with frozen pitch leaves Ladyboys with 2 match's postponed now
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cascade
Novice

Re: Ladyboys v Glasgow off

Post by Cascade »

I don't know why they waited until now to cancel, I've been in South Dublin since Tuesday and there was no way the match was ever going to go ahead. If Glasgow have travelled they've a right to be well miffed.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Agreed Cascade, was in Dublin today & yesterday, & it is probably a bit worse than Belfast. Roads around Ballsbridge were pretty much impassable yesterday morning, a bit better today, but how on earth did they think they were going to get up to 15,000 people safely to & from the match??? Warnings on Today FM all day to avoid unnecessary travel, so seems a bit irresponsible to attempt to go ahead with a rugby match?
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 443805.stm

Glasgow Warriors seek Leinster call-off probe

Glasgow Warriors say they have been left "disappointed and frustrated" by the postponement of Friday's Magners League match away to Leinster.

The Irish club say they were "caught out" by the weather and had been confident the game would go ahead.

But the visitors, who had travelled to Ireland, intend to take it further.

"Glasgow Warriors will now be discussing the late cancellation of the fixture with Magners League organisers, Celtic Rugby, as a priority," they say.

The match, which was to be played at the Royal Dublin Society Showgrounds, was called off because of a frozen pitch after an 1100 GMT inspection on Friday morning.

"The Warriors, who travelled to Dublin yesterday, did so on the advice of Leinster officials who expected the game to go ahead as planned," said Glasgow's statement.

"A number of travelling fans have also been severely inconvenienced."

Leinster chief executive Mick Dawson said the decision had to be taken "despite a huge amount of effort made by the RDS ground-staff over the last week".

Ground temperatures fell to -5C overnight and a heavy frost set in, which was followed by heavy snowfall early on Friday morning.

"The weather just caught us out in the end because we were confident that it could go ahead up until yesterday evening," said Dawson.

"Following Garda and health and safety advice, we had to consider supporters travelling to the game from the far reaches of Leinster and beyond as well as the safety of the players as the roads and pathways around the ground are also treacherous."

All tickets purchased for Friday's game will be valid for the re-arranged fixture.

Leinster head coach Michael Cheika added: "Obviously, we're disappointed that the game has been called off, but the weather overnight was too cold and there was no choice.

"We would have liked to have played this game before the Brive game next weekend, without a doubt, but we'll take the cards we're dealt and we'll get the best preparation possible underway ahead of that match."
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

moondance wrote:
Ground temperatures fell to -5C overnight and a heavy frost set in, which was followed by heavy snowfall early on Friday morning.

"The weather just caught us out in the end because we were confident that it could go ahead up until yesterday evening," said Dawson.
Well Dawson should just listen to the RTE forecast in future then he won't get caught out as often.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

moondance wrote:hich was followed by heavy snowfall early on Friday morning
Was working about 1 mile from RDS all Friday morning, there was a very light "sciff" of snow for about 10 mins around 10.30, other than that the sun was shining!!!
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

brianc wrote:
moondance wrote:hich was followed by heavy snowfall early on Friday morning
Was working about 1 mile from RDS all Friday morning, there was a very light "sciff" of snow for about 10 mins around 10.30, other than that the sun was shining!!!
Was there around 09:20 and there was fairly heavy snow for about 15 mins....think he issue was the pitch though....discussion on LFans that our match v Brive might be in Ravers...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

it is so warm and the conditions are so good that they have closed all schools in ROI for at least 3 days starting Monday due to expected hazardous road conditions.
Rory Best
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

Rooster wrote:it is so warm and the conditions are so good that they have closed all schools in ROI for at least 3 days starting Monday due to expected hazardous road conditions.
Utterly brian dead - should have been on a case-by-case basis.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Brian's dead !! :shake: :cry:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Ardglass2 wrote:Brian's dead !! :shake: :cry:
Will they be able to open the ground for the burial?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:
Don't panic cables in this weather he will keep fresh for ages anyway and no one from abroad can get to funeral as flights in and out of Dublin have been suspended due to ice on runway.
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

combatlogo wrote:
Rooster wrote:it is so warm and the conditions are so good that they have closed all schools in ROI for at least 3 days starting Monday due to expected hazardous road conditions.
Utterly brian dead - should have been on a case-by-case basis.
You seem to be forgetting about those poor underpaid teachers who can't afford nice new tyres for their cars to give them some added grip on the roads. :wink: Thankfully our great Govt are not afraid to make these types of courageous decisions for the greater good of our public servants. >TM

FFS it is utterly ridiculous.If it is alright for me to have to go to work then it is OK for the schools to remain open.That said I know there are certain parts of the country where it is simply too dangerous on the roads to expect the schools to remain open.The problem is public servants are a bit of an "all for one and one for all" when it comes to compensation and benefits so they wouldn't tolerate their colleagues being off while they had to work. >TM
Last edited by Shan on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Rooster wrote:
cables wrote:
Don't panic cables in this weather he will keep fresh for ages anyway and no one from abroad can get to funeral as flights in and out of Dublin have been suspended due to ice on runway.
Oi >TT Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, just settling down to a big bowl of hot soup & then Tigers v Wasps, (hopefully)

PS Still say it was only 10 mins snow, & not 15 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

brianc wrote: Oi >TT Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, just settling down to a big bowl of hot soup & then Tigers v Wasps, (hopefully)

PS Still say it was only 10 mins snow, & not 15 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian speaks from beyond the grave :shock: