21. Wallace
22. Earls
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ireland Team announcment

Post by Ardglass2 »

Unavailable due to injury:
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)

Now we know why Paddy was playing 10 last week.

McLaughlin and Trimble are top choices imv
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Good to see Trimble's current form being rewarded.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I would imagine the hookers will share the load - Best on after 45 to 50mins I reckon
Ulster 4 HEC
Novice

Post by Ulster 4 HEC »

Whilst I'm sure we're all gutted about Ferris, few could argue that McLaughlin is a deserving recipient of the 6 shirt for this game. I'm not particularly concerned anyhow. Italy are a good enough team, but we should be able to overwhelm them at Croke. McLaughlin is in a similar mould to Ferris so hopefully he has a great game and won't force Declan to mess around with our winning formula too much. I'm sure Ferris will be back in the mix for the other games and will be determined to put in a few boneshaking hits vs France. I feel the French game could well be our toughest challenge, so a full strength team is critical! Bring it on!!
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Ardglass2 wrote:I would imagine the hookers will share the load - Best on after 45 to 50mins I reckon
I'm sure Cronin and Fogarty are pretty hacked off being replace by two hookers who couldn't really be classified as match fit. I just hope that neither Flannery or Best are being rushed back too quickly - they are bound to have a torrid time against the Italian front row.

Pleased that Court has kept his place on the bench. I hope he gets a good run out on Saturday.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

Very happy with the team and bench except i wouldn't have cullen near it. Think big dan would offer more impact of the bench but not likely POC or DOC will come off. I did laugh listening to team announcement then DOK said that players were picked on form. Surely Cronin must have been seething litening to that seeing that Best has only played 60mins for Bandbridge and 40 mins for the A team. Surely that can't count as enough form to be an interational. :lol: i am hapy though at the call to have best on the bench just wasn't worded correctly by DOK.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Yeah picked on form, yet TOL and Reddan are ahead of Bossy...

I respect Kidney a lot, but he does spout some rubbish in his quiet little turnip accent.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Mostly, happy with this selection although I wonder if Trimble and D'Arcy will offer enough variation in the game? D'Arcy is at his best picking a good line and storming up the middle. Trimble seems at his best when he steps in off the wing, picks a good line and goes storming up the middle. That's a lot of storming up the middle from 11 and 12. Bowe and Trimble will both go looking for the ball during the game; I wonder if this will lead to things being just a little too congested, or to Bowe, Trimble or D'Arcy having to sacrifice a little of what has made them so impressive for their clubs in recent weeks? Still, I think the form calls were Trimble and D'Arcy, so I can't really fault that selection.

Surprised to see both Best and Flannery straight into the 22. I guess that if this game had been against anyone other than Italy, Cronin or Fogarty may well have got the call for the bench but the Italians at Croke Park is about as close as a "warm-up" that Best will get and given just how superior Flannery and Best are to the other alternatives, this may well be the chance Best needs to show that he's at full match fitness. Not a form call, per se, but certainly a call based on known ability.

Not so sure O'Leary's selection can be called on form but I think he is the scrum-half best suited to implementing Kidney's gameplan, and that will count for a lot. I guess that in technical positions where style of play influences the whole game, form is of a lower priority than on the wing? That said, see less of an excuse for the inclusion of Reddan on the bench - not significantly different in style to Boss but certainly inferior when it comes to form.

Few surprises otherwuse, given the injuries to Sexton and Ferris. Hopefully both will be back for France and Ireland will be selecting from a full deck. McLaughlin definitely the right call in Ferris' absence, though. Good luck to him!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I read in the Grand Slam book that Kidney doesn't justify his selection decisions to the players, so I don't know why he needs to use phrases like "picked on form" to the press. If he just said, "I'm the coach so I'll pick who I feckin' like" then it would be more accurate. :lol:
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

Thats a strong squad - we are playing at home against Italians - so I would be very happy with the selection - my concern remians coverage for Hayes - he should have started with Court and see how he went and bring hayes in last 20.

but some great decisions - Trimble, McLaughlin - he's building nicely.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

i'll be interested in seeing how healy gets on at 3. If I were italy i'd be targetting him big style. I'd imagine we're in for a reasonably tight 40 mins and then Ireland stretching to a 20-25 point win in the second half.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

why?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

againstthehead wrote:why?
I'd imagine because Cian is a loosehead