Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Frosty
Initiate

Re: Irish A Squad V Scotland

Post by Mr Frosty »

15 - Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
14 - Johne Murphy (Leicester)
13 - Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
12 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
11 - Ian Dowling (Shannon/Munster)
10 - Ian Humphreys (Ballymena/Ulster)
9 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)

1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
2 - Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
3 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
4 - Ryan Caldwell (Dungannon/Ulster)
5 - Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
6 - Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
7 - Shane Jennings (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
8 - Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster) Captain

Replacements:
16 - Nigel Brady (Dungannon/Ulster)
17 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
18 - Ed O’Donghue (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
19 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/Munster)
20 - Isaac Boss (Ballymena/Ulster)
21 - Ian Keatley (Galwegians/Connacht)
22 - Keith Matthews (Buccaneers/Connacht)

http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_19589.php

dan at 6 is a strange one
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Mr Frosty wrote:
dan at 6 is a strange one
Stringer and Buckley's continued selection is even stranger...
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Think Boss deserved a start . Good to see Ed on the bench tho.

Buckley had one of his better days last week, carried with conviction but still crap in the tight and crap at scrummaging. He just has too much of a suntan for me.

Touhy at 6 is strange indeed, I have no doubt he has the pace and strength to do a job there and it would be useful for Ulster to call upon on occasion. However one doesnt expect the national teams to have to start resorting to playing locks on the back row, especially when the likes of Ronan are on the bench and Wilson (and Best I suppose) are left out altogether.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

mikerob wrote:
Stringer and Buckley's continued selection is even stranger...
agreed MR

What does Boss have to do?
Ross should have had a start or Deccie even. Buckley is not the answer no matter what the question is.

Don't think Toner did too much last week or shown much after some impressive ERC outings last year.
Whitten also should have been on the pine at least.
Last edited by Freddie Benson on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

strange but given Ireland are think of a sevens squad as well it could be they need a fast second row/ line out player with a bit of wit about him asking him Touhy to play 6 will definitely prove it one way or the other.

Wilson and Best are never going to be released for a mid season "A" game -- full International yes "A" never

glad to see MoD is not in the equation and rather surprised none of the Ulster wingforwards have not been included Falloon or Pollock

They only player who should really not have 1st choice to me is Springer but I suppose if he fails this time he 's off the radar which would please me to some extent -- he was once one of the best NH scrum halfs when playing DH but RoG and EoS shackled him from being a play maker to a chucker only and now time is taking that from him the lenght is not the same and neither is the sureness of direction.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

MightyRearranger wrote:Due to unexpected circumstance (I broke my ankle playing rugby at the weekend) I've found myself back in Northern Ireland for the next week or so, and was thinking about maybe heading to this match. Was wondering if anyone here know if there are any special provisions/tickets for disabled people? Would normally walk to the ground from near the Ormeau Rd and stand on the terrace, but don't particularly fancy the prospect of either on crutches.
There's a disabled section at the beer tent end of the new stand. Closed off from the rabble on the terrace. Not sure if you need to book or arrange in advance, but I'd have thought a cast and a couple of crutches should be good enough to get you in. Eventsec even seem to let people with the disabled person use that area.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Freddie Benson wrote:Buckley is not the andwer no matter what the question is.

Excellent :lol: :lol:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Freddie Benson wrote:
MightyRearranger wrote:Due to unexpected circumstance (I broke my ankle playing rugby at the weekend) I've found myself back in Northern Ireland for the next week or so, and was thinking about maybe heading to this match. Was wondering if anyone here know if there are any special provisions/tickets for disabled people? Would normally walk to the ground from near the Ormeau Rd and stand on the terrace, but don't particularly fancy the prospect of either on crutches.
There's a disabled section at the beer tent end of the new stand. Closed off from the rabble on the terrace. Not sure if you need to book or arrange in advance, but I'd have thought a cast and a couple of crutches should be good enough to get you in. Eventsec even seem to let people with the disabled person use that area.
you'd need to bring your own seat though :thumleft:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

ColinM wrote:
Freddie Benson wrote:Buckley is not the andwer no matter what the question is.

Excellent :lol: :lol:
on second thoughts, if the question is 'Who is an overrated, useless scrummager that should be able to a hell of a lot more given his size?' then yes, the answer is Tony Buckley.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Boss....poor guy, focking disgrace must have pished in Kidney's tea during the CC. I'd like to see Touhy at 6, better option than Anderson potentially as he can catch and offload the ball, two tricks Thomas has yet to master it seems.
Another he hasn't mastered is being able to run, the lad is slow as hell. Anyway, I find it strange how Caldwell continues to get noticed for Ireland A and now Tuohy as well even though EOD seems to be ahead of them for Ulster. Suppose it's all down to Declan's opinion on those players
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Red Hand Hero wrote:The answer winy to your question is that Ed calls/organises our lineout, a responsibility Caldwell's brain could not operate under, see Munster away for pertinent example of lineout disaster ala Ryan Caldwell, thus Ed had to be brought back in. For Ireland i presume someone else has taken this mantle and removed the thinking element for him so he should be fine. Naturally speaking he has buckets of talent but this does not translate into reality regularly enough.
imo ed is a better player than caldwell in all aspects of plays, can do a bit with the ball in hand and actually notices people outside him, doesn't give away stupid penalties and a better lineout operater in general
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Stringer and Buckley.. :banghead: So much for GETTING SELECTED ON CURRENT FORM :banghead:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

scrum5 wrote:CURRENT FORM
to be fair The words "he is in good form" have never really applied to buckley
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

scrum5 wrote:Stringer and Buckley.. :banghead: So much for GETTING SELECTED ON CURRENT FORM :banghead:
Bucly played well last game - scrum was fine and he carried well in loose, his line out lifting was fine - stop picking on the big fellow. :D
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Article wrote:
scrum5 wrote:Stringer and Buckley.. :banghead: So much for GETTING SELECTED ON CURRENT FORM :banghead:
Bucly played well last game - scrum was fine and he carried well in loose, his line out lifting was fine - stop picking on the big fellow. :D
he did well in the loose when he bothered his ar$e, the scrum was not fine, he buckled almost every scrum