Ireland Team announcment

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland Team announcment

Post by Shan »

Jackie Brown wrote:
cheese wrote:why would they bring in Ryan on the ench when he is just a bench warmer for muster. surely thats a kick in the teeth to tuohy who has played out of his skin recently
i think Big Ed can feel most aggrieved. Seems to be one of Declan's policies, play a Munster or Leinster fringe player before heading north...
Declan's policy is to select the player he believes is the best person for the job.I don't believe he gives too much of a shíte where the player is resident.

Again it may appear strange to select a non provincial starter rather than a regular starter but if Declan believes Ryan is better than EOD then that is that.For the record I agree with Declan in this regard, especially as Ryan is capable of playing backrow as well.

This is nothing to do with Ryan being a Shannon Man I can assure you.....
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

We already have a backrow sub on the bench.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

Jackie Brown wrote:We already have a backrow sub on the bench.
And was Tuohy not named at 6 for the wolfhounds as well.

I think he would be a better impact player than Ryan, not necessarily a better all round player
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I rate Donnacha Ryan extremely highly, I'm glad to see him on the bench.

I just wish he got more gametime. He could be a really excellent player, but he needs to play.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

Dan Tuohy has been a nailed-on Ulster regular for all of - what - four months? How many times must it be said, he is not anywhere near Ireland's fourth choice second row at the minute. Suck it up, that's just fact
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Who said anything about Dan Tuohy?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Jackie Brown wrote:Who said anything about Dan Tuohy?
Red KC did.

I have to say that I think Shan has hit the nail on the head. Unlike EOS I believe that DK will pick whoever he thinks is the best player for the role required regardless of provincial affiliations, place of residence etc. Only a fool would pick someone they knew not to be the best player and DK is no fool.

The only possibility I see for what might be perceived as provincial bias would be when it comes to picking between players of similar capabilities and similar form. In that case I think DK would be more likely to go with the player he knows best. That could well result in Munster players getting the nod first because of their longer association with the man but I don't think it would be motivated by provincial bias just by an accident of fate and a bit of human nature.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

pwrmoore wrote:
The only possibility I see for what might be perceived as provincial bias would be when it comes to picking between players of similar capabilities and similar form. In that case I think DK would be more likely to go with the player he knows best. That could well result in Munster players getting the nod first because of their longer association with the man but I don't think it would be motivated by provincial bias just by an accident of fate and a bit of human nature.

I agree with this Paul.We are all guilty of being human from time to time and even the most professional of us will go with what we know as a failsafe if there is little or nothing between two choices.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Shan wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

I agree with this Paul.We are all guilty of being human from time to time and even the most professional of us will go with what we know as a failsafe if there is little or nothing between two choices.
And the other choices are given 'A' game time to assist the coach in getting to know them, their strengths and weaknesses.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ColinM wrote:
Shan wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

And the other choices are given 'A' game time to assist the coach in getting to know them, their strengths and weaknesses.
Unless your name is Isaac Boss.... :P

I'm a fan of Kidney and all he's done for Irish rugby, I just believe he is wrong in his scrumhalf judgement.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Neither Ed or Tuohy are known quanities at "A " International level never mind full international level .

Mod showed he is going backwards last week and could be carrying an injury and Cardwell is or would be very high risk ie penalty prone the other candidate Toner is basically a lineout only player which is fine at "A" level if you consider you must win your own lineout as a priority and can afford to overlook the ineffective loose play but at International level that is not possible.

on that basis Ryan looks the best call.

That said the fact that he has picked Tuohy at 6 for the "A" could mean he DK sees an important bench role for him at the RWC providing cover for both second and backrow --- if he comes through the test tonight- Given Irelands ageing front row DK may want two props on the bench come RWC thus a player who can cover both second and backrow would be a major plus

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Touhy is the fastest second row in Ireland
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Anybody not going to the Ireland Wolfhounds match at Ravenhill, it's being live streamed by RTE, see here:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnation ... ylive.html

Not sure if you can get to see it if you're outside ROI or NI but worth checking
Last edited by stickinout on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

bogboy wrote: I wouldn't be at all surprised if Touhy is the fastest second row in Ireland
Part of the reason I think he is a good sub but not ready to start at international level. Perfect if he was just needed for the last 20 mins the risk would be if someone got injured early and he had to come on.
Shan wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

And the good thing about Kidney is its easy to trust his judgement. His track record shows he gets it right.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

'A' level performances have little to do with it. Sexton did little in an 'A' jersey and seemed to vie with Keatley and NO'C over the past couple of years. It was his performances for Leinster in ERC that led to him being selected during the AIs - that and RO'G playing like a donkey's Brennan.

McLoughlin has come on the scene this season (some bloke called Rocky I think in his position last season) for Leinster and has come straight into the team.

So if there are injuries (and there will be more during next two months of the 6N) or loss of form or any other reason, then Tuohy or Ed or whoever should come into the selectors thoughts.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Touhy is going up the pecking order - only POC, DOC, Cullen and Ryan ahead of him.

MOD and MOK are so far pass their sell by date its not funny
Toner and Caldwell continue to disappoint - tonight will be interesting
Casey and Stevenson play in England
Mr Ed is not sure of where he will be next year - hope its here

So who else is left ?