Boss going to Leinster??

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ulsterman_baggy
Novice

Re: Boss going to Leinster??

Post by ulsterman_baggy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ulsterman_baggy wrote:I have read alot of stuff saying that its UR's fault for letting Boss go, thats not necessarily the case, maybe just like Rush coming to us the Boss just wants a new challenge and a change of scenery.

As well i have noticed recently that boss has only really started playing his best rugby since the joining leinster rumours have started, lets be honest he was pretty lousy more than once in games at the start of the season.
Cannot agree with any of that.
Isaac has always given 100% to Ulster and he has stated that he doesn't want to go.
Thats your opinion, and thats fair enough.

I never doubted bosses commitment, but his performances at the start of the season were well below hows he has played recently since the rumors
If it looks like it and feels like it you've got your hand in the toilet again
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Stade au Courant wrote:Ricky Januarie.
Now if Carlsberg did Ulster Rugby dream teams :flower:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
luster
Novice

Post by luster »

Looks like Ruan Pienaar ruled out as he has a national contract with SA.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/spring ... 45313.html

John Smit and Victor Matfield are among a group of 10 players to be awarded national contracts by the South African Rugby Union that will run until next year’s World Cup.

The Springbok captain along with his deputy are joined by Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, JP Pietersen, Juan Smith and Pierre Spies in a move which seems to all but guarantee their places at the finals in New Zealand.

Nine other players have been handed one-year deals by the SARU.

They are Andries Bekker, Heinrich Brussow, Bismarck du Plessis, Adrian Jacobs, Tendai Mtawarira, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, Danie Rossouw and Morne Steyn, while additional players called up will be receive pro-rata payments in line with the contracted group.

As expected, there were no contracts awarded to overseas-based players – the most notable absentees being Munster centre Jean de Villiers and utility-back Frans Steyn, who now plays for Racing Metro 92 in France.

Peter de Villiers’ team play their first Test of 2010 against France at Newlands in June.
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Pineaar has not signed any contract!!

He was offered a 12 month contract has not decided to sign as yet. He still is an option for UR. As is fellow country man Januarie.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Would need to keep Januarie away from the pies and the xmas market though!

A good pre-season running up and down the demanse like the videos before this season would sort him out.
Why? Why not?
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

regular starts, and "kill willy" will do well for us.

do we really need to spunk a lot of money on a SH when marshall and willis are there or thereabouts and porter will be coming thru? when willis was playing last season before he got himself injured he was giving quick ball and was in my opinion as good as/better than boss was.

i wouldnt be concerned if we settled with the 2 guys we've just announced
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I agree that we played most of our best rugby last season with a Willis/iHumph pivot, but would prefer if we had some experience available to call on. I'm not sure if Willis was out of favour earlier this season or if the management were just trying to make up their minds about Marshall
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

was he injured or turning out for As?

my only concern about willis would be his desire to stay here long-term. he signed a 2 year extension to the initial one year deal, if he were to get into the ulster team and play well consistently, he should be knocking on the wolfhounds door at the very least.

if that happens and he's wanted by leinster and has a genuine shot at playing for them the lure might be too great.
which i couldnt criticise him for, but id still be disappointed to be used as a stepping stone to further a career in that way. were a few of our academy lads to move away for some game time you'd hope they returned once they were capable of getting into our side.

that said, with our current status, we're either going to be at best a stepping stone or a golden egg - and not a great big fat one either...
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Neither Willis or Marshall are good enough, neither have really progressed. Not to mention 2 scrum half's are not enough for a professional team.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Stade au Courant wrote:Neither Willis or Marshall are good enough, neither have really progressed. Not to mention 2 scrum half's are not enough for a professional team.
you're wrong. both are young with limited game time. they'll develop if given the start, i'd have no doubt giving it to willis.
did i mention i love him, wanna boof him?

there's also porter who could step up on a short-term basis if it's needed.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I haven't seen enough of Willis to form a real opinion. He seems decent enough and behind a strong pack he could well be okay. That said, I'd be keen to see proven quality brought in.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:regular starts, and "kill willy" will do well for us.

do we really need to spunk a lot of money on a SH when marshall and willis are there or thereabouts and porter will be coming thru? when willis was playing last season before he got himself injured he was giving quick ball and was in my opinion as good as/better than boss was.

i wouldnt be concerned if we settled with the 2 guys we've just announced
Worryingly, I agree with you on this. I wouldn't mind promoting Willis to top dog with Xavier Rush here now to keep him in check. Spend the money on a world class 15.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

A top class 9 will have more affect on the game than a top class 15, unless its Muliana
Ulster throw in
Initiate

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Stade au Courant wrote:Neither Willis or Marshall are good enough, neither have really progressed. Not to mention 2 scrum half's are not enough for a professional team.
you're wrong. both are young with limited game time. they'll develop if given the start, i'd have no doubt giving it to willis.
did i mention i love him, wanna boof him?

there's also porter who could step up on a short-term basis if it's needed.
No youre right the whole team should sit around and wait for them to develop into decent players worthy of the rest of the team! :roll:

They are not the answer at 9 and wont be for a considerable time to come.
luster
Novice

Post by luster »

Sorry Stade au Courant, but it appears that Pienaar is one of the SA players to have signed a contract up till the end of 2010 season, so unless he signs to come at the end of the Autumn internationals then it looks like he's out of the running.
The South African Rugby Union on Sunday confirmed the names of 19 players who have agreed Springbok contracts for 2010. Ten of the players have signed contracts for the end of the 2011 season.
The contracted players for 2010 are: Andries Bekker, Bakkies Botha, Heinrich Brüssow, Schalk Burger, Bismarck du Plessis, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Adrian Jacobs, Tendai Mtawarira, Victor Matfield, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Danie Rossouw, John Smit, Juan Smith, Morné Steyn and Pierre Spies.

The players who have agreed contracts through to the end of the Rugby World Cup year in 2011 are: Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield, JP Pietersen, John Smit, Juan Smith and Pierre Spies.

Additional players called up by the Springbok selectors will be receive pro rata payments in line with the contracted group.
http://www.sarugby.net/newsarticle.aspx ... =&newscat=