Ferris actual world class

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

daveysemtex
Novice

Ferris actual world class

Post by daveysemtex »

What a player. Stuck in a struggling team for his entire career hes come through and showed he can perform on the greatest stage. besty did ok too.

love u simon
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ferris actual world class

Post by Freddie Benson »

:scratch: Ireland aren't struggling - we did the grand slam last year and should complete what is it 5 TCs in 7 years?

1F has been 'actual world class' for a couple of seasons, but welcome to the fan club anyway :cheers:
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Freddie Benson wrote::scratch: Ireland aren't struggling - we did the grand slam last year and should complete what is it 5 TCs in 7 years?

1F has been 'actual world class' for a couple of seasons, but welcome to the fan club anyway :cheers:
I assume he means Ulster are a struggling team but Ferris can rise above that and prove himself to be top class both for province and Ireland.

Of course we have been saying how good Ferris is for a couple of seasons as you rightly say.Perhaps daveysemtex only watched his first Ireland game today. :wink: I think, however, it is more likely that he is just a bit excited about Ferris and wanted to get it down in writing.

Either way yes Ferris is world class but he did not have his best game today in my opinion because he did let one or two tackles slip by and also once or twice didn't stop a player's momemtum in the tackle as he usually does.He was still very good but by his own high standards he slipped a touch.There isn't a player in history though who can be at their best in every game.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Let's see how he does on the SH tour before labelling him as "world class." He has huge potential, but has yet to deliver a standout performance against one of the big boys. Injury denied him the opportunity for the Lions, and to an extent in the AI against the Boks, but I wouldn't describe his performances as world class against the Aussies or the French.

I'm sure he can be a top class player if he stays injury free but doesn't justify a world class labelling yet.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

If you want to class a player as world class

Then the best way to think about your assessment is

If he was a New Zealander would he make the All blacks if South Africian the Springboks etc it not question of how well he plays against them but a question of if he was available to them would they play him?

In Ferris's case I'd say it would be a very close call . but one thing is certain every manager in the 6 Nations would play him if available.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jerome Kaino, Schalk Burger and Rocxky Elsom would all be ahead of Ferris based on international performances to date. I doubt the french media are raving about him either after his performance in Paris - I'm sur they'd happily take Dusautoir or Bonnaire ahead of him right now at blindside.

Just because he's better than "brand Haskell" doesn't make him world class.

Why don't we all call Keith Earls "world class" as well after today.....
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I think Ferris is half world class, in that he's amongst the very best in this half of the world- the northern hemisphere I mean.

I don't know who this Simon guy you're talking about is. But Ferris and Rory Best are every bit as good as their provincial counterparts, no matter what province they come from.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

notj wrote:I don't know who this Simon guy you're talking about is.
Danielli?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Bart S » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Jerome Kaino, Schalk Burger and Rocxky Elsom would all be ahead of Ferris based on international performances to date.
Burger is an openside, I think Ferris on top form would quite easily take the blindside shirt for SA.

As for Kaino, he showed a lot of promise when he was younger but has so far failed to deliver and holds a shirt that Ferris could quite easily take!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rocky is no.1 after that it's close between 1F and Dusautoir.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Snipe Watson wrote:Rocky is no.1 after that it's close between 1F and Dusautoir.
Juan Smith?
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Bart S » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Jerome Kaino, Schalk Burger and Rocxky Elsom would all be ahead of Ferris based on international performances to date.
Burger is an openside, I think Ferris on top form would quite easily take the blindside shirt for SA.

As for Kaino, he showed a lot of promise when he was younger but has so far failed to deliver and holds a shirt that Ferris could quite easily take!
:roll: ... er no Burger is a blindside and hasn't been anywhere near the form he showed 3/4 years ago. The AB's have been trying a number of guys at 6 after JC left, which shows they aren't entirely happy with any of them. Ferris would undoubtedly have been tried by both if he had been SA or NZ.

Elsom and Dusautoir are the stand out 6's and Ferris is as good on ability. However both get the nod ahead of him because of their leadership qualities. They also seem to be a lot more durable regarding injuries.
The future isn't what it used to be
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Ferris has yet to truly shine in any game against the top 4 nations. I'm sure it will happen (hopefully on the summer tour) but until he does, I fail to see how anyone could call him world class. In the past year he was decent against France once (at Croker, although completely outshone by Heaslip that day) and part of a backrow that was completed outplayed in Paris (again Heaslip was the standout performer). He was also part of the backrow that was outplayed against Australia and before his injury against SA was steady, but no more. Injury deprived him of a chance to take on the full Boks team, but whilst he showed promise in the tour games, they were no comparison.

Until he proves he can come out on top against the big boys and not just Haskell and co, he cannot be viewed as world class. Playing for Ireland provides a perfect opportunity for him to do that in the future.

The irish media is in danger of overhyping him a la Chabal.....
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Fly Half » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 pm

:roll: ... er no Burger is a blindside
No he isnt hes an openside!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Fly Half wrote:
:roll: ... er no Burger is a blindside and hasn't been anywhere near the form he showed 3/4 years ago.
Well somebody better tell him he has been erroneously playing open side all these years then.May as well let Juan Smith know he has been forcing Burger to play away from his correct position too. :D

Agree he is not the player he was though and Heinreich Brussouw has shown himself to be the top dog at openside in South Africa and is challenging the world's best(McCaw) in the last year.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.