Positives and negatives: Ire V Wales

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Positives and negatives: Ire V Wales

Post by Jackie Brown »

Shan I apologise as well, spent to much time reading tom kite on MF.com over the past few months. He'll be asset to ireland, when Fitzgerald comes back he'll be back on the bench tho.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cheers Jackie and I tend to agree as I rate Fitz very highly as most know.

Sorry guys if I was a bit stroppy but Cheltenham has me all over the fecking place.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I wasn’t apologising by the way......
Apologise to a >TM about a >TB
there are limits!!

:wink:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

:lol:
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

shan the try is similiar to one scored by DH against Stade many years ago.

One of the points being missed in my post is that many of Irelands trys come the timing of BoD's passes put Earls in the centre not only is the timing of the pass lost but the pass as well

think of Wales last week think of Scotland last week the centres are not bad players - pacy- powerful can go for a gap but the trys aren't being scored because the timing of the pass is not there and sorry to say if BoD gets injured Earls definitely won't fill that gap
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

Bart S wrote:So Earls is too small for international rugby yet still managed to play ok against S Africa in the autumn? :scratch:

Jason Robinson (Lions and world cup winner) and Shane Williams (IRB player of the year) aren't exactly huge either.

If we're going to judge players purely on the french game then Earls wasn't the only one who can't cut it at international level. Think the Fench treated Tommy with a lot more disdain in Paris a few years ago.
Bart

Go and read my post again... and lay of the drugs :wink:
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Post by Ulster throw in »

bogboy wrote: sorry to say if BoD gets injured Earls definitely won't fill that gap
I agree.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bogboy wrote:shan the try is similiar to one scored by DH against Stade many years ago.

One of the points being missed in my post is that many of Irelands trys come the timing of BoD's passes put Earls in the centre not only is the timing of the pass lost but the pass as well

think of Wales last week think of Scotland last week the centres are not bad players - pacy- powerful can go for a gap but the trys aren't being scored because the timing of the pass is not there and sorry to say if BoD gets injured Earls definitely won't fill that gap
I don't think this point has been missed Boggy.I didn't see anybody argue with you on it.

Also most people here are in agreement, I think, that Earls best place is on the wing.Who knows what will happen in the future as Earls continues to get experience in the centre for Munster and develop his game.No player, no matter how good, starts out as the finished article.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

My point is that BoD is a TEAM PLAYER Earls is an individualist take that out of him and you will lose the player its the fact that he has tunnel vision makes him effective on the wing less effective at full back and a possible liability in the centre.

i don't think playing him in the centre will change him to any extent even if he was effective in that position for Munster

McGuikin took him to SA with the lions played him in the centre twice I think and when Flutey got injured sent for D'Arcy realising that Earls was not an International centre. As a winger he is the finished article why try to change him to something else.
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

bogboy wrote:My point is that BoD is a TEAM PLAYER Earls is an individualist take that out of him and you will lose the player its the fact that he has tunnel vision makes him effective on the wing less effective at full back and a possible liability in the centre.

i don't think playing him in the centre will change him to any extent even if he was effective in that position for Munster

McGuikin took him to SA with the lions played him in the centre twice I think and when Flutey got injured sent for D'Arcy realising that Earls was not an International centre. As a winger he is the finished article why try to change him to something else.
Or else McGeechan thought he's not an international centre yet, and of course playing him in the centre will change him it will give him time to develop his skills as a centre. Look at Foden for england, he was a very good scrum half and changed to full back where he has developed into an excellent player and it took him a while to adjust and develop the skill necessary. Just because someone is a good rugby player in one position does not mean he could be a very good player in another position. Alot of top class centres begin there top level careers playing on the wing why should Earls be any different? You may be right and Earls may turn out to be best on the wing but playing him in the centre for Munster can only be a good thing, he'll improve his vision and passing, he'll learn as a centre what lines he likes a winger to run to pass to, he'll learn where a centre wants a winger to be defensively and countless other things that he can then transfer into his game on the wing.
To sum up definitely not an international centre and may never be but him playing there for Munster will make him a more rounded rugby player and that can only be a good thing.

And i can believe that I replied to someone's post that spell Sir Ian's name
McGuikin
Surely thats sacrilege for any rugby fan
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

bogboy wrote: As a winger he is the finished article
How anyone can say thta about anyone his age is beyond me. Earls is raw in any position. He's a precocious talent but nowhere near the finished article
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Earls' view
Keith Earls believes he is shedding his utility tag as he plots his route to becoming Ireland's long-term successor to Brian O'Driscoll at outside centre.

Earls is the Six Nations' top try-scorer with three and has played at full-back, winger and outside centre, scoring six tries in nine Irish games.

"I'm enjoying playing on the wing but I also like playing at 13," said Earls.

"I was concerned by my versatility a few months back but hopefully in the future I'll be at 13," he added.

Earls will once again fill the number 11 jersey from where he has caused so much damage during this championship but hopes to eventually move up the threequarter line.

"The full-back thing has slipped away," said the Munster back.

"Luke Fitzgerald's injury gave me a chance on the left wing, while if Gordon D'Arcy or Brian O'Driscoll go off for Ireland, I can slot in at 13. I don't want the number 22 jersey anyhow."

The 22-year-old explains his emergence as a ruthless finisher at Test level by his growing comfort within the squad, leading to his stellar display in Saturday's 27-12 victory over Wales.

"I'm happy with my strike rate. It's over 50% which is great," he said.

"I feel like I've settled in now. I'm that bit more confident around the squad. It's good to be playing well and to be a regular this season. I'm more relaxed and there's a good buzz in training."

"I really enjoyed the Wales match. It was a great game to be involved in, especially after last year when it was a Grand Slam decider.

"There's a big rivalry between us so to get two tries and beat them the way we did was great.

"It was definitely my best game for Ireland. It was a big game in a major tournament so it was good to get on the scoreboard."

Ireland will claim their fifth Triple Crown in seven years if they beat the Scots but Earls has been reminded of the lean years.

Before 2004 Ireland had completed the clean sweep of the home nations on just five occasions with gaps of 49 and 33 years dividing other vintage seasons.

"To be in the position of challenging for a Triple Crown is surreal," he said.

"My father remembers 1985 and now I have a chance to go down in history as well. It's a brilliant feeling but it will be a tough day.

"The Triple Crown means a lot to (coach) Declan Kidney and the players. We'd be the best of the home nations and that's still a great achievement."
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

scoring six tries in nine Irish games.

"I'm happy with my strike rate. It's over 50% which is great,"
yip, 2/3 is definitely over 50%.
top marks for the munsterman
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
scoring six tries in nine Irish games.

"I'm happy with my strike rate. It's over 50% which is great,"
yip, 2/3 is definitely over 50%.
top marks for the munsterman
Glad you confirmed that Earls was right.What a gowl. >TM