Connacht's Game in Hand

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Connacht's Game in Hand

Post by cables »

Won't be that way for much longer.

It is now in the ML Fixtures Schedule.

Connacht will play Leinster at the Sportsground on Wednesday 21 April.

Friday 16 April - Glasgow v Ulster
Friday 16 April - Leinster v Ospreys
Sunday 18 April - Connacht v Munster
Wednesday 21 April - Connacht v Leinster
Friday 23 April - Glasgow v Leinster
Sunday 25 April - Scarlets v Connacht
Sunday 25 April - Edinburgh v Ulster

We live in interesting times.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Connacht's Game in Hand

Post by Ardglass2 »

A loss tonight would be very worrying - they would go into their 2 games in hand with every chance of catching us.
I also reckon that they have the easier game over the 23rd/25th April weekend.

I would be very surpirised if it doesn't all come down to the last game :paperbag:
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Just seen the Munster team ..............we're in trouble.

Possibly their weakest team of the year, only Warwick is a guaranteed starter for the first XV and that includes the bench.
If Leinster put out a similarly weak team next week, we have to assume 1 win from the next 2 matches is a must to even be in contention on the last weekend.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Munster have named a v weak team. I could see Connacht getting 4 points out of this game. Ulster need a win tonight (but I cant see it)

Connacht: G Duffy, T Nathan, N Ta'auso, K Matthews, F Carr, I Keatley, F Murphy; B Wilkinson, S Cronin, J Hagan, M Swift, B Upton, J Muldoon (cpt), J O'Connor, G Naoupu.
Replacements: A Flavin, R Loughney, M McCarthy, M McComish, Cr O'Loughlin, M Nikora, A Wynne.

Munster: S Deasy, S Zebo, T Gleeson, P Warwick, D Barnes, D Cusack, P Stringer; D Ryan, D Varley, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll (cpt), B Holland, N Williams, N Ronan, J Coughlan.
Replacements: D Fogarty, J Brugnaut, D Foley, P O'Mahoney, C Murray, J Manning, S Scanlon.
:red: SUFTUM :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Can we ask the ML to postpone the game because Munster are not fielding an ML standard front row :stir:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Hope Leinster decide to go full bore for the Connacht game and not the Glasgow one. Really need Connacht to lose their Irish derbies...
Have you any doubt? If so, what would you do?

Should they beat Connacht it is highly unlikely that they would finish outside the top two irrespective of results against either Glasgow or Edinburgh. A top two finish is all they require for a Home ML-SF.

I would seek to beat Connacht and use the Glasgow game to prepare for the ERC-SF v Toulouse (player resting, proving fitness etc.). Targeting the Connacht game also gives them two more days of post match rehab than the Glasgow game would.

BTW, it is now 2 games in hand for Connacht and a 5 point difference.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

That may be a weakened Munster team but that backrow is arguably better than our's last night, Cusack has been getting good reviews, a very young and inexperienced back three but wouldn't be so sure of a Connacht win.
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

No matter what team Munster or Leinster put out they usually perform. They have the winning mentality which Ulster lack. At the same time good luck to Connacht,if they can finish above Ulster then with their resources compared to Ulster's they will deserve it.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

cjp wrote:That may be a weakened Munster team but that backrow is arguably better than our's last night, Cusack has been getting good reviews, a very young and inexperienced back three but wouldn't be so sure of a Connacht win.
Half-way through the second half and it's Connacht 12 - 18 Munster including a try for Ronan
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

One game in hand less now - Munster hang on at the death, but Connacht have the BP.

No change this weekend then
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Great defence by Munster at the end after sustained pressure by Connacht, they now have to pick themselves up for Leinster on Wednesday, though by the sound of it they have picked up some injuries, still hope the Westies can make it to the Amblin Cup Final and get into the HC via that route.......
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Yep. Back to one game in hand and 4 points difference.

Dragons showed their great home form by beating Edinburgh 49-28 (7T to 4T) - they have only lost one from 8 at home this season.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

So now we need the :mexican: to beat them and also we need to win away to Edinburgh.

I still think Connacht are favourites
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:One game in hand less now - Munster hang on at the death, but Connacht have the BP.

No change this weekend then

That was tight at the end, i had the sweats on thinking Connacht were going over in the corner for the try. The Leinster game will be interesting, Connacht always up their game for the city boys. They might have a few injuries after today's game, and as they have only 28 squad players, it could have a big influence over the busy week ahead of them.

Noticed Edinburgh took a hiding from Dragons too.

As Leinster are 7 points ahead, one more win will make them almost certainly safe for home SF, surely they'll target Wednesday's game with Connacht as one to win so they can concentrate on the HC in 2 weeks time?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Would imagine we will see a full strength :mexican: team on Wednesday, a win for Leinster will see them top the league and a home semi-final then they could rest all their star players against Glasgow on the Friday giving them 2 weeks to rest and prepare for the semi-final against Toulouse on the 1st May... at least that's what I would do....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.