Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ruan becomes an Ulsterman

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Can we say Ruan Pienaar is now official despite what :rendeer: Streuli says:
The hosts only victory over South Africa came in the first ever match at the Millennium Stadium in 1999, but 16 points from Ulster bound Ruan Pienaar helped secure victory for the visitors.
This is from the IRB site in a piece on world rankings. :red:

He kicks, he scores
His ancestors were Boers
Pienaar, Peinaar!

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I see the ever faithful IH fan club are still at it

If he was the player they believe him to be he would have played more games for Leicester and would still be playing for them

The truth is he only plays to his full potential 1 game in 6 and its nothing to do with the quality of the 9 inside him he just fails to assert himself on a match consistantly and his defence will never improve because he lacks that one truely necessary quality ---- aggression ----- and don't for a minute let anyone say he is a coward or yellow nobody who plays professional rugby is a coward you couldn't go on to a pitch to play in front of 5-15K poeple if you were a coward.

but aggression is the one quality which ensures that players like Springer and Earls get recognition while the likes of IH and Danielli and to a lesser extent Trimble fail to obtain the same recognition and unfortunately it is something you have or you don't have .

Unfortunately IH really is a 7s player not a 15 a side player
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

bogboy wrote:I see the ever faithful IH fan club are still at it

If he was the player they believe him to be he would have played more games for Leicester and would still be playing for them

The truth is he only plays to his full potential 1 game in 6 and its nothing to do with the quality of the 9 inside him he just fails to assert himself on a match consistantly and his defence will never improve because he lacks that one truely necessary quality ---- aggression ----- and don't for a minute let anyone say he is a coward or yellow nobody who plays professional rugby is a coward you couldn't go on to a pitch to play in front of 5-15K poeple if you were a coward.

but aggression is the one quality which ensures that players like Springer and Earls get recognition while the likes of IH and Danielli and to a lesser extent Trimble fail to obtain the same recognition and unfortunately it is something you have or you don't have .

Unfortunately IH really is a 7s player not a 15 a side player
Have to agree in part with this, i think we've seen enough of IH to know that this is what you get. He's a real gambler, and when he's in good form, he looks the part but when he's off form, he's brutal. Forces plays, kicks badly and isn't big enough to take the ball on safely on his own. Having the kicking duties taken off him, IMO will result in a possible two scenarios: a) he loses concentration, drifts and doesn't manage the game well or b) concentrates harder on what he needs to bring to the game and comes up with the goods. I hope and pray we see the best of him next year, but i think the fella would need see a sports psychiatrist , or get a personality transplant to change (improve) the way he plays rugby, i.e. not be such a risk taker.

In fairness to iHumph, i think he did improve his defence a bit last season, especially when he was switched to the wing in defensive situations :wink: Seriously though, he did get more physical in the tackle. I like iHumph, i think he needs to revisit his dark phase and grow that beard. That said, i don't think he's the 10 that will bring consistency to UR game. more's the pity, as he's :red: to the core.

Don't entirely agree with BB's comments on him performing in 1 in 6, he's better than that. Trimble/Danielli not being aggressive? Don't agree with you there either, especially with Trimble, he's a beast in tackle and attack, just not great at turning to get kicks.
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

stickinout wrote:He's a real gambler
Well theres the truest thing I've read on here all day hahaha
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
Billyboy
Novice

Post by Billyboy »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Ah the voice of doom returns to the board after a welcome absence. Whilst IH will never be an O'Gara figure for us i firmly believe he can perform a job that will 'do us' until something better and ultimately Irish Qualified comes along. Your serial whinging about Humphreys is tiresome in the extreme, fact is whatever about his strengths and weaknesses we are stuck with him, O'Connor and Wallace as our outhalves due to the PAG decree that no province be allowed to field an NIQ 10. Thus it becomes an issue of who is Ulster's best option out of that bunch and the answer is Ian Humphreys hands down.

O'Connor still looks ill at ease playing an expansive game and until he learns to play with a bit more abandon and refrain from kicking everything he is not a serious contender IMO. The management's persistence in playing him in the final third of the season really hamstrung us at times.

Wallace is an IC first and foremost and if the past decade have told us anything its that he is not capable of playing 10 at HEC level. The minimal amount of extra time and space he gets at 12 suits his game and with the big boots of O'Connor/Humph inside him his limited kicking range is rarely a problem.

Totally agree with RHH - you are 100% correct :salut:

Ultimately the biggest problem Ulster have suffered from this season is not turning possession, pressure and territory into points when it has counted. The management, to give credit where it is due, have obviously taken this on board when looking for a replacement scrumhalf and the signing of Pienaar will hopefully decrease the number of points Ulster leave 'on the pitch' next season.

I'd expect that with the pressure of goal-kicking having been alleviated that Humphreys will be more at ease with himself on the pitch and whilst he still might try and force the game on occasions, the virtues he brings to the team such as attacking the gainline at pace and his all round excellent distribution from both hand and foot will outweigh any major deficiencies he has.
Always ate your spuds....
Billyboy
Novice

Post by Billyboy »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Ah the voice of doom returns to the board after a welcome absence. Whilst IH will never be an O'Gara figure for us i firmly believe he can perform a job that will 'do us' until something better and ultimately Irish Qualified comes along. Your serial whinging about Humphreys is tiresome in the extreme, fact is whatever about his strengths and weaknesses we are stuck with him, O'Connor and Wallace as our outhalves due to the PAG decree that no province be allowed to field an NIQ 10. Thus it becomes an issue of who is Ulster's best option out of that bunch and the answer is Ian Humphreys hands down.

O'Connor still looks ill at ease playing an expansive game and until he learns to play with a bit more abandon and refrain from kicking everything he is not a serious contender IMO. The management's persistence in playing him in the final third of the season really hamstrung us at times.

Wallace is an IC first and foremost and if the past decade have told us anything its that he is not capable of playing 10 at HEC level. The minimal amount of extra time and space he gets at 12 suits his game and with the big boots of O'Connor/Humph inside him his limited kicking range is rarely a problem.

Ultimately the biggest problem Ulster have suffered from this season is not turning possession, pressure and territory into points when it has counted. The management, to give credit where it is due, have obviously taken this on board when looking for a replacement scrumhalf and the signing of Pienaar will hopefully decrease the number of points Ulster leave 'on the pitch' next season.

I'd expect that with the pressure of goal-kicking having been alleviated that Humphreys will be more at ease with himself on the pitch and whilst he still might try and force the game on occasions, the virtues he brings to the team such as attacking the gainline at pace and his all round excellent distribution from both hand and foot will outweigh any major deficiencies he has.
Totally agree with RHH - you are 100% correct :salut:
Always ate your spuds....
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bogboy wrote:I see the ever faithful IH fan club are still at it

He was behind Tubby Goode at Leicester and the plan was for Hernandez to join Leicester from SF, that deal fell through just after ihumph had signed here and from what I heard Leicester would have had him back, remember he went with Leicester to Thomond park and beat Munster in the HEC at a time when they were unbeatable down there.
Agree with RH and Billy about him and think while he might still be a serious risk taker he will front up well without having to kick goals, it's got to the stage that you have to play high risk style at times to win matches especially against the big powerful sides we have no logical reason for being able to have a chance against on paper, not only that but they excite the crowd and generally boost peoples thoughts of the match even if you do lose, while we all like to win it's hard to beat a good exciting match if things do go wrong and you still feel better than an old foot slog of a match and narrow loss.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

Red Hand Hero wrote:Wallace is an IC first and foremost and if the past decade have told us anything its that he is not capable of playing 10 at HEC level. The minimal amount of extra time and space he gets at 12 suits his game and with the big boots of O'Connor/Humph inside him his limited kicking range is rarely a problem.
I think your argument is partially correct in that Wallace's best position is inside centre and the extra time does suit him, but I disagree that he's not capable of doing a job at 10 to HEC level.

Paddy has played many a top game at 10 - In this season's 6N he came off the bench to play 10 and looked sharp and dangerous with ball in hand.

I think that this is the wrong argument anyway, to me the argument should be that Wallace, while he is our best 12 is a more balanced, and better 10 than either iHumph or NOC, and I think that Whitten is a better 12 than either iHumph or NOC are 10's. Therefore, to me Pinear, Wallace, Whitten is stronger than Pinear, Humph / NOC, Wallace.

It's all academic anyway as he won't be playing 10.

cheers
stu
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think Paddy is maturing as a player and that experience makes him more of a 10 option than he was a few seasons back.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

and so .....HAS HE SIGNED YET
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Paddy has
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

A Piennaar snipet freshly gleaned from the interweb from Keo :
Although not saying it in as many words, Ruan Pienaar looks likely to move to Ulster.

Three weeks ago Sharks commercial manager Rudolf Straeuli refuted that Pienaar’s exit will take place as he claimed Ulster are breaching IRB regulations by speaking to a player still under contract. Although the Sharks want to match Ulster’s offer, Pienaar’s comments suggest he wants a move to Belfast.

Prompted by the Boks’ communications department not to speak about the matter on Thursday, Pienaar wasn’t willing to offer many details, but didn’t deny that he would be leaving once his Sharks contract expires at the end of the year.

‘I’d rather not say anything and not comment,’ Pienaar told keo.co.za with a laugh and a look that suggested the move is likely to take place. When questioned further, Pienaar did acknowledge reports that Ulster’s operations director David Humphreys had approached him about a move.

‘I have spoken to them, and that’s a decision I have to make.’

The Irish media have long speculated that the deal is as good as done, while Pienaar didn’t want to say what it would take to keep him in the country just a year before the World Cup.

Recent reports suggested that Pienaar’s relationship with Bok coach Peter de Villiers have soured. De Villier’s biggest claim is that he’s a man-manager, but like Pienaar’s good mate Frans Steyn, Pienaar looks as though he’s lost to South African rugby.

When asked whether De Villiers had told him of his plans for the season, Pienaar said: ‘Obviously he’d like to develop me into a No 10, but I’m also hoping to get game-time at scrumhalf with Fourie du Preez injured. Hopefully I can be rotated with Ricky Januarie.

‘But it’s just good to be involved with the Boks in any form.’

The problem with the matter seems to be Pienaar’s insistence on playing scrumhalf, while if he moves to Ulster, he looks to have been promised to play in his favoured position.

‘If I go, I’ll probably be a No 9,’ he said.

Pienaar is desperately trying to shed the tag of a utility player, but that’s not that easy as he will again be used off the Bok bench this Saturday against Italy.

‘It’s way too late for me to worry about being called a utility player. I think have been ear-marked as one of those.

‘Everyone wants to have a starting spot, but you can still make a difference from the bench. The seven guys on the sideline are just as important as the starting XV.’

Speaking about his pending move to Ulster, Pienaar said he and his wife’s decision would also be influenced by the many South Africans already in the squad. Johann Muller and Pedrie Wannenburg have recently signed deals to move to Northern Ireland, while BJ Botha and Robbie Diack are also with side.

‘It does make the decision a bit easier having friends there that we know. I don’t know what else to say,’ said Pienaar, continuing the trend of not willing to divulge much.
Saying a lot but not saying much, you might say, but I think he is saying enough :D

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

but like Pienaar’s good mate Frans Steyn, Pienaar looks as though he’s lost to South African rugby.
Now if he could convince him to come to us as well next year would sort out the fullback problem :D :D :D :D :D :cheers:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

after the fiasco with rush, I ain;t gettin too exciting till I see him in a white shirt, drinking magners and complaining about the weather!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

againstthehead wrote:after the fiasco with rush, I ain;t gettin too exciting till I see him in a white shirt, drinking magners and complaining about the weather!
The difference is Ruan is happily harried whereas X was attempting to flee the country to escape a bint, but she beat him to it and slung her hook all the way back to sheepworryingcentral. Apparently she couldn't find anyone suitable to shear her in Wales, who apparently are only associate members of the world's sheep-worrying community.

Its been said many times before, but I love saying it - we have come out of the Rush fiasco very much on the right side of things, a player at least as good & a few zlotych in the bank :red: