Ulster Rugby on the BBC

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

onthewing
Novice

Ulster Rugby on the BBC

Post by onthewing »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 729565.stm
BBC TV to screen Ulster Magners League matches

BBC television will cover Ulster's matches in the Magners League
BBC Northern Ireland has secured the rights to show live coverage of Magners League rugby for the next four seasons.

All Ulster's home matches, and the away ones against the other Irish provinces, will be screened on BBC2 NI.

Other away games will be available via the red button or the BBC Sport website if covered by partner broadcasters in Scotland, Wales and Italy.

BBC NI will be providing coverage of the Magners League in partnership with BBC ALBA, RTE and TG4.

The programmes will be presented by Stephen Watson, with Jim Neilly and Ryan Constable in the commentary box.

Peter Johnston, Director, BBC NI said: "We are delighted to be able to announce this new deal, particularly at such an exciting time for Ulster Rugby, with a core of talented young local players set to be joined next season by newly recruited, top-class overseas stars.

"This is a great addition to our sports portfolio for Northern Ireland audiences and great news for rugby fans here."

Ulster Rugby's chief executive Shane Logan believed the deal would help increase interest and involvement in the sport.

"Since turning professional, a little over 10 years ago, rugby has gone from strength to strength," he said.

"This move will bring further new audiences for the game and support our development of the sport at grassroots level."
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Rugby on the BBC

Post by cables »

Thanks Auntie.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

:cheers: never thought they would show full matches, thought we might just have highlights and with Gusher on the mike :D will be just like a radio with pictures :salut:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well done BBC NI.

Anyone think there could be an impact on attendances? Pissing down rain and a game against the Dragons vs. feet up on the sofa with your favourite tipple close at hand?

However the bigger impact on attendances would be whether the team is winning or not.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

"hello, is that Setanta? thanks for everything, but..."
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

aarons wrote:"hello, is that Setanta? thanks for everything, but..."
Wait till you hear the begging from the other end aaron :lol: almost convinced me I would like to watch footy :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Good news. Finally - well done the Beeb!!! :salut:
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Matt Williams to get the gig as studio pundit? :lol:

Ryan Constable only to give MoTM awards to players signed up with Cornerflag?

The beeb radio coverage currently seems to use Maurice Field as the pundit... I think the likes of MW and Emmet Byrne on Setanta are much better.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

the only downside here is the inevitable loss of profile in RoI and the lack of decent analysis that will follow. the only time we'll hear decent takes on our players performance will be on RTE after we've played away to munster and leinster
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Rooster wrote:
aarons wrote:"hello, is that Setanta? thanks for everything, but..."
Wait till you hear the begging from the other end aaron :lol: almost convinced me I would like to watch footy :shock:
they have football? :lol:

if there was one thing on setanta i'd like to watch i'd keep the subscription - i'd like to support them if i could. but what do they have?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

http://www.irishrugby.ie/53_21152.php

article on IRFU website stresses friday night games now for ulster :cheers:
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Somebody on munsterfans recently suggested that Setanta have the rights to the AIL from October (I'm not paying a tenner a month for the AIL), I'd expect them to cover that in quite a bit of detail. They also have a few of Northern Ireland's away qualifiers if you're into football. Apart from that there isn't much else to get excited about. Oh yeah they have the Top 14 but you could get that on ESPN plus the GP and plenty of football (including the Premier League) for the same money.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Harold7 wrote:Somebody on munsterfans recently suggested that Setanta have the rights to the AIL from October (I'm not paying a tenner a month for the AIL), I'd expect them to cover that in quite a bit of detail. They also have a few of Northern Ireland's away qualifiers if you're into football. Apart from that there isn't much else to get excited about. Oh yeah they have the Top 14 but you could get that on ESPN plus the GP and plenty of football (including the Premier League) for the same money.
oh yeah... i do like the top 14 coverage. they often show games ESPN don't...
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

What about Francis???? Will he be out of a Job? God love him....
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
StevieD
Novice

Post by StevieD »

As previously stated by our CEO at the supporters evenings held at Ravers - glad to see it official and great news for UR, undoubtedly going to make the product of Ulster Rugby open to the masses, that coupled with success on the pitch will def see gate receipts grow.

:red: Good Times :red: