The Maze Money

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The Ulsterian
Initiate

The Maze Money

Post by The Ulsterian »

From the BBC the money that is 'ring fenced' for the 3 sports is close to being sorted.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ire ... 408966.stm

"The GAA is to receive the lion's share of money earmarked for the building of a sports stadium on the site of the former Maze prison the BBC understands.

The GAA is thought to be in line for £50m, football £30m and rugby is to receive about £20m.

The Executive has still to sign off on the plans.

However, it is understood they have been approved by the Department of Culture and Leisure.

There are expected to be developments in the next two to three weeks.

The plan is dependent on the Irish Football Association reaching a resolution with Linfield over the running of Windsor Park.

A meeting is being held on Thursday night over that.

A proposal to build a stadium for football, Gaelic football and rugby at the site of the former Maze prison site was abandoned in 2009.

More than £3.5m was paid in consultancy fees for the project before the decision to shelve it
"

Also from the BBC newsline apparently one of the hold ups is the IFA. GAA and UR are ready but all 3 need to be ready before the money given out. As stated above the IFA are meeting tonight regarding this issue.

Shane Logan had stated at the 'Management meet the supporters' night that he expected around 15M for the development of Ravenhill, and the plans are almost complete. The beer tent stand and replacement of the old stand is approved and permission for the Aquinas stand is being applied for. He envisaged the work to start early 2011. But this depended Maze money which is now looking closer :cheers:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Maze Money

Post by BR »

BBC Newsline - had altered the story to be 'Rugby to get 15 to 20 M' .
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

YoungMan wrote:Why does the GAA get 50m :scratch: ...........
Bigger numbers
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

Why does the GAA get 50m ...........
Is it related to how the money allocated is being spent within the three sports or is it just based proportionally on projected income if the stadium had of been built? :scratch:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ok whole thing now held up by footy assholes, simple solution, give them 14 days to sort out their sorry asses or split their money evenly between GAA and Rugby or stick it into health service, then again the twits on the hill have not got a pair of balls between them to say or do something like that.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
JR stands up
Novice

Post by JR stands up »

If you do the sums the IFA's 30k plus UR's 20k = the GAA's 50k. So community harmony and equality has been preserved. Not that I would accept for a micro second hat UR can be regarded as belonging to one side of the community, but clearly the fools on the hill see it this way.
Mind you I have no doubt that the GAA will fill a 40k stadium for big matches as we would pack in 20k. I have a feeling however that he 200 lost souls who would be moved to inflict on themselves a saturday afternoon watching Linfield playing Dungannon Swifts may find the whole place a bit on the echoey side
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

I understand that GAA has the biggest numbers (please note I reject all claims of sectarianism :duck: :duck: :duck: That ok with you DL :wink: ) but given that all three were proposing to share a stadium I think it is a bit rich that one sport gets the same amount as the other 2 put together and 2.5 to 3 times more than the smallest sport.

I don't claim to be expert but does GAA in Ulster not have some decent stadiums? I know football has a few stadia but most I imagine are fairly poor quality. If so why is the GAA's need so much greater than Rugby's who have but one ancient decrepit ruin of a stadium (much as we love it in the way you love your granny - seen better days but is part of the family) with one shiney new over-priced stand.

The IFA I assume will pour their share into Windsor, has anybody any idea what the GAA plan to do with their share?

Apart from the meanest share of funds, assuming it is resolved it will be interesting to see what our leaders are proposing in some detail, I assume if they have permission for 2 of the other three sides are the plans available anywhere any interet link available?

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

I have to say that if this turns out to be correct then it is great news for UR. I really don't give a hoot if the GAA and the IFA get more money than us ( strictly speaking this isn't 100% correct - I've never really understood why Linfield get all the free stuff in football ) - people on here have already and rightly acknowledged that the GAA is probably the organisation that could regularly utilise a 25K plus stadium.

Leaving all the aside if we get the necessary readies to give us a really good 12.5K stadium ( ideally I would've thought 15K is what we need ) in the next 2/3 years then I will be made up - full of optimism that next year our team will be on the way up and our club will be brought up to the standard required for this century. Good times :D :D :D :D :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Rooster wrote:Ok whole thing now held up by footy assholes, simple solution, give them 14 days to sort out their sorry asses or split their money evenly between GAA and Rugby or stick it into health service, then again the twits on the hill have not got a pair of balls between them to say or do something like that.
What a great idea Rooster, this had me rolling around laughing!!
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

I know it has been discussed previously, but as a footie fan and a rugby fan I'd still like to see another stadium go up in Belfast by a private developer or whoever. This way the IFA are not tied to Windsor Park (and Linfield) and UR would have the use of a venue for matches > Ravenhill capacity. I suppose I can't have everything though? :duh:

Has anyone seen the plans for the rest of the Ravenhill redevelopment or have I missed something?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

we should also consider that rugger and footy are professional sports - where the heck does all the money in the gaa go to!!! Looks as though they've went for a 50-50 SF/DUP split - probably the only way to get the funding agreed upon.

20 Mill should secure the future of Ravers, however, if we are ever going to compete with leinster and munster we need a larger stadium to call upon! perhaps if the GAA or NI use their money wisely to build 25k stadia we could share it for heiny cup games?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Leaving all the aside if we get the necessary readies to give us a really good 12.5K stadium
Are you mad? Why spend 20 million on ground improvements only to have the final capacity equal to what it was 2 years ago?! Its Munster and Leinster standards we should be aiming for :- 26k and 18k for thomand and RDS. I would have been hoping for around 20k. I know there are issues with the residents when it comes to a ground of this size unfortunetly.
StevieD
Novice

Post by StevieD »

Whatever UR are getting I just hope they get it sooner rather than later so we can begin to see Shane's vision materialise!

At the minute things are looking up!

Stand up! :red:
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

HammerTime wrote:
Leaving all the aside if we get the necessary readies to give us a really good 12.5K stadium
Are you mad? Why spend 20 million on ground improvements only to have the final capacity equal to what it was 2 years ago?! Its Munster and Leinster standards we should be aiming for :- 26k and 18k for thomand and RDS. I would have been hoping for around 20k. I know there are issues with the residents when it comes to a ground of this size unfortunetly.

There are two chances of us getting 20k at Ravenhill and one them is none and the other is f**k all. Will not get through planning - residential area and it will get bogged down in red tape for years if they even try. However, the plan is not for 12.5k with the redevelopment of all 4 sides capacity was due to be something like 15-16k and if we ever need more for a big euro match then there is always a redeveloped Windsor Park option.

From my own perspective the breakdown of 50:30:20 is a joke and another of a long list of political sops. The IFA have been massively under financed in this country for far far too long and with a bit more support they are much more likely to become successful and potentially more appealing to all sections of our community. I will be very very disappointed if this is how it is divided up and to be honest a 50:50 split of (their) share or £40 mill each is the fairest thing to do.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

There are also 2 chances of UR going to the IFA to stage a match at Windsor, one of them is none and you can guess the other one.
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

From what S.L. was saying the relationship with the residents is much better now than when fat controller was in charge, and they don't see a problem with getting the Aquinas stand passed.
The stadium is to be for approx 18000, which puts us on a better footing than Leinster as they give the RDS around 40-50% (if my memory serves me right).
The plan is to build the 2 end stand first and then replace the main stand, and there is to be standing terraced areas infront of all the stands. Under the main stand there's to be a bigger bar and also eateries.
IT's time for the IFA to get the finger out until we get started.

:red: The future looks bright the futures white. :red: