New full back on a two week trial

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

onthewing
Novice

New full back on a two week trial

Post by onthewing »

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sp ... rish-stew/

FOR the third time this season, Manly will lose one of their stars to European rugby because of a baffling lack of interest from local Super 15 franchises.

In a move that will rock the Marlins Shute Shield ambitions, brilliant fullback Adam D’Arcy will fly out of Australia on Sunday for a two-week trial with Irish giants Ulster in the hope of securing a lucrative long-term contract.

His departure comes just a fortnight after powerful winger Nemani Nadolo left for French club Bourgoin, with outstanding No.8 Marlon Solofuti starting the trend by linking with Pau in June.

But D’Arcy, who has held an academy contract with the Waratahs for the past three seasons, felt that limited local interest had pushed him overseas.

“It was evident a month or two ago that I was probably going to just be offered another academy contract with the Waratahs,” the 24-year-old told The Manly Daily.

“I could probably stay in the academy and just wait for a few injuries, but this opportunity is probably the best (for me).”

The popular Marlin sought options in Ireland because he holds Irish citizenship, thanks to his grandfather.

“I want to play top rugby and I’ve got Irish citizenship, so I told (my manager) that my preference would be to play in Ireland because the standard is pretty high,” he said.

“It’s unexpected, and I didn’t think it would come from this type of club, in a very competitive competition.

“It’s really the next best thing than getting a top Super 14 contract and it’s not a done deal but if they like what they see they will offer me a full-time contract.”

The news could not come at a worse time for the Marlins, who want to build some momentum over the final five rounds of competition leading into the finals.

Manly coach Phil Blake admits the loss of the dashing fullback is a blow, but doesn’t begrudge his star players seeking all avenues to further their careers.

“The timing isn’t terrific but you learn to deal with these things,” Blake said.

“If I was in their shoes, I’d be doing the same,” he said.

“It’s just the nature of the beast.

“This is a great opportunity for Adam and he goes with our best wishes.”

Blake was the first person D’Arcy called when he learned of the trial offer on Tuesday.

“He put it all into perspective and gave me some good advice, and I went from there,” D’Arcy said.

“That was the first thing I thought about when I heard the news, that I’d have to leave this team ... even if it was just for two weeks.

“We’ve got a pretty special bond there.”

The Marlins play Gordon at Chatswood Oval. Kick-off is at 3pm on Saturday.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: New full back on a two week trial

Post by pwrmoore »

replacement for Bryn?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Replacement for Duffy ;)
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

Adam is an exciting full back prospect and an outstanding goal kicker
http://worldrugbyzone.com/archives/505

a replacement for shifty?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Good spot!

ADAM D'ARCY

Position: Fullback
Physical: 183cm, 87kg
Born: 3 October 1985, Sydney NSW
Club: Manly
Juniors: St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill
Rep Honours: Australian Sevens (2007)

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/HSBCWaratahs ... atahs.aspx
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

http://www.rugbynews.org/index.php?opti ... rokstories

They say bad news comes in threes so Manly supporters may wish to avert their eyes at this point.

After losing blockbusting winger Nemani Nadolo and destructive No.8 Marlon Solofuti to overseas clubs, the Marlins will now wave goodbye to point-scoring whiz Adam D'Arcy.

D'Arcy will take off for Irish club Ulster after Saturday's clash with Gordon, a contract awaiting him should he perform during a two-week trial.

Ulster like what they see of the Shute Shield's leading point-scorer on DVD and now want to see him in the flesh.

The ambitious Belfast-based club competes in the Magners League and Europe's prestigious Heineken Cup and are on the look-out for a fullback.

The fact "Darce" carries an Irish passport and isn’t considered an import won’t harm his chances of being picked up.

"It's a case of good news, bad timing," D'Arcy said.

"It's a good opportunity that's come up in the last couple of days and hopefully I can go over there and do well.

"I will play in two trials and train with them for two weeks. It's not a done deal but if they like what they see they will offer me a full-time contract.

"I was totally committed to what we were doing at Manly - it's been three or four years in the making - but I've got to do what's best for my career."

Manly coach Phil Blake has watched on helplessly as three of his stars have walked out at critical stages of the season.

Not that he blames the players at all.

"If I was in their shoes I’d be doing the same," he admitted.

"It's just the nature of the beast in club rugby.

"This is a great opportunity for Adam and he goes with our best wishes.

"The timing isn’t terrific but you learn to deal with these things."

Brumby Andrew Smith, who carved Manly up last year playing at fullback for Norths, looms as D'Arcy's replacement at No.15 for the rest of the season.

Turning his thoughts to Gordon, Blake said: "It's important we bounce back from last week's loss with a win straight up.

"You don’t want one loss turning into two and three.

"Gordon are out of business for the year but they won’t roll over for us."

Joe Metuisela will start at five-eighth in place of the injured Mark Swanepoel.
:red: SUFTUM :red:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Irish Qualified - Good find all right
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

If he becomes a done deal it'd be good to take the pressure off iHumph. Feeling optimistic!
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

If he has played for the Australian Sevens team as per his profile, would that mean he isn't IQ even though he has an irish grandad?

We heard great things about Clint S's goal kicking before he came over and that didn't really work out, but interesting to see what happens with this.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

shamalicious wrote:If he becomes a done deal it'd be good to take the pressure off iHumph. Feeling optimistic!
Surely Pienaer wil lbe our main place kicker this year so pressures already off
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I thought because Warwick played Australian 7's it restricted him from being Irish qualified through residency?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Ardglass2 wrote:
shamalicious wrote:If he becomes a done deal it'd be good to take the pressure off iHumph. Feeling optimistic!
Surely Pienaer wil lbe our main place kicker this year so pressures already off
I'm sure you're right Ardglass but was it ever confirmed that Pienaar would be 1st choice kicker? I suppose in his absence then this would be the other option if Pienaar is going to be place-kicker.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Neill_M wrote:If he has played for the Australian Sevens team as per his profile, would that mean he isn't IQ even though he has an irish grandad?
Good point... Irish passport means there are no work permit issues and he doesn't count towards restricted number of non-EU players allowed in match day squad, but if he has played an international 7s game for Australia, then he is NIQ.

Having said that, given all the various 7s competitions there are, I don't know which ones count towards full international caps.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:replacement for Bryn?
Sounds like it as news I have heard on Bryn is not at all positive, he must be out for the guts of 18 months now if you take out a coupls of brief appearences
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

It really looks that Humph Snr & Co are serious big time, about making it this season. Good to see. Feel gutted for Bryn who has been one of my favourites since becoming a follower. Now leaving for the match and what I hope will be a great start to the 2010/11 season.

C'mon ULSTER!!!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!