Worth winning

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Worth winning

Post by Freddie Benson »

Win an Ulster Rugby Shirt signed by Dr Jack Kyle and support Leukaemia Research

On 24th August, rugby legend Dr Jack Kyle (QUB, Ulster, Ireland and the British & Irish Lions) will visit the Leukaemia Research laboratories in the CCRCB to tour the laboratories and meet the scientists.

As part of his visit he is signing a 2010-2011 season Ulster Rugby shirt for the Northern Ireland Leukaemia Research Fund (NILRF), which will be the prize in a raffle that will be drawn on Tuesday 7th September in the CCRCB. Tickets will be £1 each and all the proceeds will go the NILRF as the shirt has been kindly donated by Kukri Sports. Tickets can be bought from Frances Parker at the CCRCB reception or by emailing Frances on m.parker@qub.ac.uk

Thank you and please help support the NILRF!

• For information (for those who don’t know) Jack played out-half for QUB, Ulster, Ireland and the British & Irish Lions. He toured New Zealand and Australia with The Lions in 1950 and was a member of Ireland’s first ever Grand Slam winning team in 1948. In the early 60’s he carried out humanitarian work in Sumatra and Indonesia. A graduate in Medicine from QUB, he spent most of his professional career as a surgeon working in Zambia. He was awarded an OBE for his humanitarian work. In later years he has been awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by The Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, given his name to two bursary awards for young rugby players (1 at QUB, the other with Ulster Rugby Supporters’ Club for the Ulster Academy); and is patron of a number of charities for children and injured rugby players. He was the first Irish player inducted into the International Rugby Hall of Fame, and the first Ulster player inducted into the IRFU Ulster Branch Hall of Fame. He has also been inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame and in 2002 was named by the Irish Rugby Football Union as “The Greatest Ever Irish Rugby Player”.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Worth winning

Post by Ardglass2 »

Very worth cause and excellent price but what or where is CCRCB.:scratch:

Also what about selling tickets at the Leeds and Ospreys game a captvie audience to boost money raised
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Ardglass2 wrote:... what or where is CCRCB.:scratch:
Cancer research centre at queens.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ardglass2 wrote:Very worth cause and excellent price but what or where is CCRCB.:scratch:

Also what about selling tickets at the Leeds and Ospreys game a captvie audience to boost money raised
http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/C ... llBiology/
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Folks, I will be selling raffle tickets for this worthy cause at the Leeds match on Thursday night and the Ospreys match the following week.

This competition was primarily an internal affair (within School of Medicine at QUB) and as such the tickets being sold are of the "cloakroom" variety, but if anyone wishes to purchase at the Leeds match AND TRUSTS ME TO PASS ON THEIR MONEY AND ENTER THEIR NAME(S) IN THE DRAW :flower: , please come and see me at the URSC mini marquee prior to the match.

As the organiser of Jack Kyle's visit to CCRCB* and for getting the raffle prize organised, I can guarantee that all money received will be put to good use for Leukaemia Research in Northern Ireland.

For further details or if you wish to pass your dosh directly (although I'm not sure exactly how that will work without a direct visit to CCRCB on the Belfast City Hospital site), please see http://www.leukaemia-ni.org/

I had intended to start a thread on this forum anyway, but thanks to Freddie for getting in ahead of me.

Thanks too to Kukri Sports who kindly donated the rugby shirt to be raffled. (new home shirt - size 40")

* CCRCB = Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

This the prize that, as Freddie put it, is "worth winning"

Gotta be worth £1 of anyone's money ........ or £5 ........ or £10 ........ or whatever, to increase your chances of winning while helping a very worthwhile cause. If you want to buy, I will be the one wearing a Northern Ireland Leukaemia Fund teeshirt signed on the front by Dr Kyle

Thanks

Grumps
Attachments
Jack Kyle NILRF 2s.jpg
Jack Kyle NILRF 2s.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Jack Kyle NILRF 1s.jpg
Jack Kyle NILRF 1s.jpg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

A BIG THANK-YOU to all who supported this at last night's match at Ravenhill. :salut:

Over £130 :cheers: raised for N.I. Leukaemia Research Fund ......

.... and remember, if you missed out last night and still want to support this worthy cause AND have the chance to win a new Ulster Rugby Shirt autographed by Jack Kyle, I will be doing it all again at the Ospreys match next Friday.

Or, if you are in or around the Belfast City Hospital, call into CCRCB (off Jubilee Road behind Medical Biology Centre & Whitla Medical Building), and buy your tickets from frances at reception.

Cheers

Grumps
I'm not arguing -
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Dont forget I owe you 5p :(
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

brianc wrote:Dont forget I owe you 5p :(
Plus INTEREST!!!!! :twisted:

Please surrender your passport and do not attempt to leave the country until all debts are paid!!!!

If you win the prize, it will be handed over minus one sleeve,

Don't worry Brainiac - the CORRECT money (including the missing 5p) has already been handed over to NILRF
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

brianc wrote:Dont forget I owe you 5p :(
:roll: knew you couldn't trust that mob in the new posh stand.
If he wins the shirt cut a bit out of it Grumps :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BTTT ....

.... and a wee reminder that I will be flogging tickets tonight again at the O's match.

If you're not in, you won't win - so why not come over to the URSC tent near the war memorial before the match if you want to buy tickets?

(and if Brainiac tells you that tickets are 95p, don't believe him)
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:BTTT ....

.... and a wee reminder that I will be flogging tickets tonight again at the O's match.

If you're not in, you won't win - so why not come over to the URSC tent near the war memorial before the match if you want to buy tickets?

Did he pay the other 5p yet or do you require a heavy mob to extract it from him :terror:
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:

Did he pay the other 5p yet or do you require a heavy mob to extract it from him :terror:
Naw - somebody in a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or something drove past the other day and threw 5 little copper coins at me - I assumed that was what they were for ......... but maybe it was just somebody throwing things at me. :?
I'm not arguing -
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Naw - somebody in a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or something drove past the other day and threw 5 little copper coins at me - I assumed that was what they were for ......... but maybe it was just somebody throwing things at me. :?
Ok I'll bring the baseball bat with me then Grumps and we will wait for him at the steps up into the posh seats :thumleft:
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

A big thank-you to everyone who supported the Northern Ireland Leukaemia Research Fund by buying ticket(s) for this terrific prize. The total raised was £377, over half of which was from sales at Ravenhill at the Leeds and Ospreys matches.

As well as the signed Ulster shirt, Jack Kyle had also signed a NILRF teeshirt and this was offered as a runner up prize. The draw has now been made and I am pleased to say that the winning ticket was sold at Ravenhill, the winner has been contacted and arrangements are being made for him to receive his prize at the Edinburgh match. The signed teeshirt was won by one of the researchers within CCRCB.

Thanks once again also to Kukri Sports for donating the Ulster shirt which means that all of the money raised will go to Leukaemia research, and of course to Jack himself for giving of his time to visit the labs.

Cheers

Grumps
I'm not arguing -