Leinster thread 2010/11

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

promsandwich
Steward

Re: Leinster thread 2010/11

Post by promsandwich »

although Maguire in particular is absolutely mammoth, 6'5" and 21 stone
One of my mates was telling me he watched Maguire playing for Ireland under-20s and he was virtually unstoppable for opposition. It would be terrific if this guy was in a position to step up. Would be great to see a young Irish prop who could destroy the opposition! :D :D
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Many Thanks to Guy Easterby for getting him over from Wales, he is a giant and is only second year out of school as far as I am aware, showed up very well last year against experienced AIL props.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

SparkyClarky wrote:I have to say that it made me feel good to see the results for leinster/Munster tonight. Felt a bit for Issac (Paul O’Donohoe replaced by Isaac Boss, half-time). Does this mean he is 3rd choice in the BLUE behind Reddan & O'Donohoe. Anyway having seen Wasps last season it makes me think that Bath where very much a harder job for Ulster. Lets hope we can improve tomorrow afternoon and stay within 10 - 14 pts of Quinns. Will be more than happy if we do!!!
Given his performance on Friday evening Boss will be lucky to be fourth choice, he was shockingly bad. Reddan won't have been losing any sleep, that's for sure.

It was a close enough contest in the first half, but Leinster lost the plot in the second half. It was pretty much men against boys at that stage. Wasps had all their first-teamers involved and the Leinster line-up was more like a B&I Cup match.

Only positive was the lineout which functioned well, Strauss hitting his men with quick accurate throwing, and stealing one or two of theirs. Real negatives were the defence and the back-play, not at all helped by agricultural passing from Boss. Also Stan Wright out for most of the season with an achilles tendon injury. Not sure if any of the young lads are ready to step up, Jack McGrath certainly isn't if his cameo appearance on Friday was anything to go by.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Sadly Eoin Reddan's mother died after a very long illness on Sunday. RIP. Funeral today.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

not at all helped by agricultural passing from Boss
Interesting perspective on how Boss is getting on. He was well liked at UR, but given that the backline have been lacklustre at best in pre-season so far, it is going to be intruiging ( not to mention exciting ) to see how much our backline will benefit from having a world class 9 this year. :D :D
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Cormac wrote:Given his performance on Friday evening Boss will be lucky to be fourth choice, he was shockingly bad. Reddan won't have been losing any sleep, that's for sure.
yes it's strange that's what most of the fans are saying, although he got a favourable mention in the press - tbh though, I think Reddan has been pretty uninspiring the last few years, so it mightn't be as clear-cut as that. I thought POD looked class the year he was with the u-20s that they won the GS (2007?), has he kicked on?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

darkside lightside wrote:
Cormac wrote:Given his performance on Friday evening Boss will be lucky to be fourth choice, he was shockingly bad. Reddan won't have been losing any sleep, that's for sure.
yes it's strange that's what most of the fans are saying, although he got a favourable mention in the press - tbh though, I think Reddan has been pretty uninspiring the last few years, so it mightn't be as clear-cut as that. I thought POD looked class the year he was with the u-20s that they won the GS (2007?), has he kicked on?
The reporter must have been watching a different game to the rest of us. Everyone knows he can do a lot better but if he's looking to start ML games he'll need to play a lot better.

O'Donohoe has a lot of fans but I remain to be convinced. He was excellent at AIL level too. Not sure how well he can kick on at Leinster as he probably needs a run of games as much as anything else and a chance to play with the internationals to get a real assessment of his talent. He may need to move to get it though. Neither Boss or Reddan are complete scrum-halves either but their experience will be hard for O'Donohoe to displace.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Isaac has many great talents as a rugby player and you could ream them off until the cows come home but passing is not one of them as was very evident yet again on Friday at Donnybrook.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Fergus McFadden, a replacement against London Wasps last weekend, partners Eoin O’Malley at centre for the trip to Leicester, with a new half-back pairing of Isaac Boss and Ian McKinley.
Luke Fitzgerald continues at full-back and forms a back three with David Kearney and Niall Morris.
In the pack Nathan Hines starts in the second row alongside Devin Toner, with skipper Sean O’Brien forming a new back-row alongside Dominic Ryan and Stephen Keogh.

Ballymena tight-head prop Simon Shawe gets an opportunity at this level and starts in the front row alongside Heinke van der Merwe and Richardt Strauss.

Summer signing Ed O’Donoghue is named amongst the replacements.

LEINSTER:

15: Luke Fitzgerald
14: David Kearney
13: Eoin O’Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Niall Morris
10: Ian McKinley
9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Simon Shawe
4: Nathan Hines
5: Devin Toner
6: Dominic Ryan
7: Sean O’Brien CAPTAIN
8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS: Jason Harris-Wright, Jack McGrath, Stewart Maguire, Ed O’Donoghue, Paul Ryan, Paul O’Donohoe, Isa Nacewa, Michael Keating, Mariano Galarza, Eoin Sheriff, Ian Madigan, Eamonn Sheridan

Anyone know much about Simon Shawe from Ballymena?
dropkick
Novice

Post by dropkick »

It should be interesting to see the battle for the number 15. Kearney is a great catcher of the ball but with the new law interpretations there'll be less kicking and more attacking space to run into. In that regard surely Fitz will be ahead of Kearney.
dropkick
Novice

Post by dropkick »

promsandwich wrote:
although Maguire in particular is absolutely mammoth, 6'5" and 21 stone
One of my mates was telling me he watched Maguire playing for Ireland under-20s and he was virtually unstoppable for opposition. It would be terrific if this guy was in a position to step up. Would be great to see a young Irish prop who could destroy the opposition! :D :D
I saw those games and he dominated everyone. Even the English pack were going backwards.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Interesting to see Simon Shawe at THP for leinster. I hope he goes well
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

DHK wrote:Interesting to see Simon Shawe at THP for leinster. I hope he goes well
I was wondering about that... :scratch:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Has he been brought in from Ballymena after Wrights injury?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Tiggers 37 Ladyboys 14
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best