Leinster thread 2010/11

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Re: Leinster thread 2010/11

Post by colinh »

The Irish Rugby Football Union held a disciplinary hearing to consider a citing complaint against Leinster player Sean O’Brien from the Benetton Treviso v Leinster Magners League game on Saturday, 18th September 2010.

O’Brien was cited under law 10.4 (l) for allegedly making contact with the eye area of a Benetton Treviso player in the 62nd minute of the game. The hearing took place in the Ulster Branch offices, Ravenhill, at 5.00pm today (Wednesday 22nd September 2010). The hearing was chaired by Harry McKibbin and he was assisted by Stephen Hilditch and Neil Jackson.

The panel heard from the player and his representatives along with the Director of Rugby from Benneton Treviso, Vittorio Munari (by telephone link). It viewed a recording of the incident in detail.

The panel noted that Mr O’Brien moved his right hand from the player’s collar across his face to grab his scrum cap. The panel was satisfied that there had been no deliberate contact with the eye area, no injury whatsoever sustained and no player reaction was observed.

The panel concluded that the player was not guilty of the offence charged and he is free to continue playing.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Common sense prevails, when the Treviso player never noticed it happening then nothing really happened.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

colinh wrote:
The Irish Rugby Football Union held a disciplinary hearing to consider a citing complaint against Leinster player Sean O’Brien from the Benetton Treviso v Leinster Magners League game on Saturday, 18th September 2010.

O’Brien was cited under law 10.4 (l) for allegedly making contact with the eye area of a Benetton Treviso player in the 62nd minute of the game. The hearing took place in the Ulster Branch offices, Ravenhill, at 5.00pm today (Wednesday 22nd September 2010). The hearing was chaired by Harry McKibbin and he was assisted by Stephen Hilditch and Neil Jackson.

The panel heard from the player and his representatives along with the Director of Rugby from Benneton Treviso, Vittorio Munari (by telephone link). It viewed a recording of the incident in detail.

The panel noted that Mr O’Brien moved his right hand from the player’s collar across his face to grab his scrum cap. The panel was satisfied that there had been no deliberate contact with the eye area, no injury whatsoever sustained and no player reaction was observed.

The panel concluded that the player was not guilty of the offence charged and he is free to continue playing.
The panel of course have got it wrong at least in part.

There WAS contact with the eye area.

They can make a judgement that it was not deliberate and also note that there was no injury or player reaction BUT there was contact with the eye area.
The panel noted that Mr O’Brien moved his right hand from the player’s collar across his face to grab his scrum cap.
Highly improbable that contact with the eye area during that hand movement did not take place when the eventual 'grab' on the 'scrum cap' was above the eyes.

With his target being the headgear (correct term in Laws), S.O.B. must have poor hand eye co-ordination as he missed the target by around 9 inches at the first attempt.

Another day, another panel and the outcome would have been determined as reckless with perhaps maximum mitigation then being applied.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

it does look like he's actually looking at the treviso player's hand on strauss's collar, and decides to haul him away, and he doesn't actually look down at where his hand is until it's already trailed over the fella's eyes.. so I don't think it was intentional after all - still bloody careless, and I wouldn't have had much sympathy if he'd got a few weeks.. also strauss seems to catch a blow to the knackers at the end of the clip :)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Leinster team to face Edinburgh:

15 Kearney, 14 Horgan, 13 O'Driscoll, 12 D'Arcy, 11 Fitzgerald, 10 Sexton, 9 Reddan; 1 vd Merwe, 2 Strauss, 3 Ross, 4 Toner, 5 EOD, 6 Ryan D, 7 Jennings, 8 Keogh.

16 Harris-Wright, 17 Healy, 18 Shawe, 19 Galarza, 20 Heaslip, 21 Boss, 22 Nacewa, 23 O'Malley
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Leinster have gone for strength in their backline but look at that pack. As things stand i would be amazed if we lost out to that 8. Think either Leinster or Munster will come a cropper in Scotland this weekend and the Munster XV looks better balanced.

Light at the end of the tunnel for Embra perhaps.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Leinster have gone for strength in their backline but look at that pack. As things stand i would be amazed if we lost out to that 8. Think either Leinster or Munster will come a cropper in Scotland this weekend and the Munster XV looks better balanced.

Only problem for Embra is a 10 as they have lost Godman for the next 6 months.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Rooster wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:Leinster have gone for strength in their backline but look at that pack. As things stand i would be amazed if we lost out to that 8. Think either Leinster or Munster will come a cropper in Scotland this weekend and the Munster XV looks better balanced.

Only problem for Embra is a 10 as they have lost Godman for the next 6 months.
They have selected David Blair at 10, don't know enough about him to comment.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Sexton is a late withdrawal for the Edinburgh game - quad injury.

Madigan drafted into the 23.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

cables wrote:Sexton is a late withdrawal for the Edinburgh game - quad injury.

Madigan drafted into the 23.

Trouble at mill for them - could be worth watching - RTE2

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

not a very fun watch so far... leinster pinned back, don't look like putting much together so far..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Big Nose
Novice

Post by Big Nose »

Just watching from halftime.. Leinster really poor from what I've seen..

Munster not doing great by the looks of it either..
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

29 v 12 :lol: Edinburgh have bonus point as well :shock:
Rory Best
McPepper
Initiate

Post by McPepper »

:shock: what is happening in the Leinster camp?
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

McPepper wrote::shock: what is happening in the Leinster camp?
:scratch: God knows. :mexican: Did Mr. Ed get injured by the way ?