Team v Glsagow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team v Glsagow

Post by Rooster »

Yoda wrote:It is McIwaine according to Auntie

Disappointing choice of bench re the backs - no real flair player which could be needed for extra spark towards the end as this should be a 5 pointer - maybe plan is for Marshall to come on and RP to go to 10 but would have liked to see have seen D'Arcy in the mix rather than McIlwaine. Having said that this team should be capable of 5 points before subs are necessary
Yoda considering that we have scored 6 trys in 4 matches so far this season you are expecting a sudden increase in our try rate :shock:
Over the past years our inability to score 4 try wins or take losing bonus points has left us struggling to go anywhere and will happen again this year unless things change.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Rooster wrote:
Yoda wrote:It is McIwaine according to Auntie

Disappointing choice of bench re the backs - no real flair player which could be needed for extra spark towards the end as this should be a 5 pointer - maybe plan is for Marshall to come on and RP to go to 10 but would have liked to see have seen D'Arcy in the mix rather than McIlwaine. Having said that this team should be capable of 5 points before subs are necessary
Yoda considering that we have scored 6 trys in 4 matches so far this season you are expecting a sudden increase in our try rate :shock:
Over the past years our inability to score 4 try wins or take losing bonus points has left us struggling to go anywhere and will happen again this year unless things change.
Re increase in rate - yeah I probably am expecting a big increase in rate but is that unreasonable? We should have had 4 against Edinburgh - we're playing at home - this is probably the weakest team we've played this year - and its the strongest team we've put out all year.

Also agree things need to change for us over the season to ensure we take the opportunities available more consistently which is why I'd like the option of something a bit different on the bench but am still confident that this team will do the business on Friday :D
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Fly Half wrote:
UlsterManiac wrote:Dont see what the attraction is in having D'arcy anywhere near the squad....if his first few games are anything to go by he is very dodgy under a high ball, quite ball greedy and not aware of those in space around him....with danielli, wallace and pienaar in the squad the need for d'arcy to be on the bench is zero...
Couldn't disagree more. McIlwaine hasn't looked any more secure or less ball greedy than D'Arcy and hasn't made any tries for Ulster (unlike AD). McIlwaine really showed his inexperience by a poor decision that led to the last Connacht penalty, so I'm struggling to see what he brings to the team?

Completely concur Flyhalf. I find your posts to be one of the most enlightening on here - if you are not constantly attacking NOC then your are having a go at the likes of McIlwaine (a very young player finding his feet). I like you look forward to the time when we can ditch NOC and play Carter and look forward to every young player we bring in to the squad playing to the level of say....well BOD. Until that point as you say drop them all and we will nothing and I mean nothing with them!!!! In fact I would argue that Ferris is not deserving of his new contract, Rory Best is average and as for the South Africans they are all over rated and a waste of space. In fact the only suprising thing from your post is that you did not mention the 3 letters NOC in any form. Supporters hey......................
ArticDonkey

Post by ArticDonkey »

Most of the debates re: NOC v Humph are pointless until we have seen what kind of form the latter is in. He hasn't played yet in the Magners League yet BMcL says he is operating a policy of squad rotation but hasn't given Humph a minute of playing time. We only have two outhalves...its not hard to rotate two players is it?
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Pimpmac wrote:
Fly Half wrote:
UlsterManiac wrote:Dont see what the attraction is in having D'arcy anywhere near the squad....if his first few games are anything to go by he is very dodgy under a high ball, quite ball greedy and not aware of those in space around him....with danielli, wallace and pienaar in the squad the need for d'arcy to be on the bench is zero...
Couldn't disagree more. McIlwaine hasn't looked any more secure or less ball greedy than D'Arcy and hasn't made any tries for Ulster (unlike AD). McIlwaine really showed his inexperience by a poor decision that led to the last Connacht penalty, so I'm struggling to see what he brings to the team?

Completely concur Flyhalf. I find your posts to be one of the most enlightening on here - if you are not constantly attacking NOC then your are having a go at the likes of McIlwaine (a very young player finding his feet). I like you look forward to the time when we can ditch NOC and play Carter and look forward to every young player we bring in to the squad playing to the level of say....well BOD. Until that point as you say drop them all and we will nothing and I mean nothing with them!!!! In fact I would argue that Ferris is not deserving of his new contract, Rory Best is average and as for the South Africans they are all over rated and a waste of space. In fact the only suprising thing from your post is that you did not mention the 3 letters NOC in any form. Supporters hey......................
Thanks for your support Pimpmac. It might surprise you but a lot of "supporters" still think Ulster are one of Europe's premier teams, and prefer to fiddle while the tradition burns. Some supporters go to the Hill for the craic and a few pints and maybe catch a bit of rugby. Settling for mediocrity has become the norm and is why Ulster haven't got out of their HEC group in over a decade. Even the inexorable slide down the league and the threat of no HEC rugby doesn't set any alarm bells ringing.

Still it's refreshing to know there are still a few prepared to call a spade a spade and I'm glad you agree that guys who want to play professional sport are going to be criticised. DMcI has had three or four opportunities to show he is better than D'Arcy, McCrea or Spence (who haven't had any), so how many chances does he need?
The future isn't what it used to be
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Pimpmac wrote:
Fly Half wrote:

I really am getting fed up to the back teeth of the "young player finding his feet" point, how many seasons are we to endure this phrase. I like many others have bought my family's season tickets to watch a professional rugby team play at the highest possible level it can and compete to win at every game (if I had wanted anything else we would go down the park and watch the minis on a Saturday). The 1st team should be the pinnacle and everyone in it should have the head and abilty to play there and the age excuse should not enter into it. Let them earn and learn their trade in the B's, Ravens or matches where there is little at stake e.g. pre season (read through last seasons Ravens reports, McIIwaine name appears how many times in the reports? 0).
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
StandUlstermen
Novice

Post by StandUlstermen »

re. the McIlwaine vs D'arcy debate, i would agree that having D'arcy in the squad is more beneficial but McL is conservative (as shown by his choice of 10) so we shouldnt be surprised. D'arcy looks like a very raw talent but one with an eye for a break and the ability to play whats in front of him. McIlwaine looks a bit sturdier (although not against Connacht) and safer, a percentage player.

IMO it will be easier to improve areas of D'arcy's game as they are predominantly technical issues (position, high-ball) whereas the ability to back youself and appraise a situation is, to a large extent, instinctive and cant be drummed into a player no matter what. Either way i hope i am wrong about young McIlwaine's limitations as, given the nature of our coach, i think he will see plenty of match day squads this season.
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

From Glasgow Warriors forum -

"I think its on BBC Northern Ireland as well so if you want some English commentary tune in there, though the price is some Ulster Bias commentary"

Didn't know Gusher spoke English - BBC Alba may more understandable.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

:stir: McLaughlin has always played the percentages and relied on his defence to win games. That's why Wells found him so predictable and easy to beat in so many finals! :stir: "There's none so fair as can compare with the boys of..."
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Red Hand Hero wrote: Still think Faloon should be playing after another impressive performance last week but McLaughs obviously has his favourites/orders.

I suspect Faloon on the bench has more to do with his dislocated finger than anything else, a precaution before next week and not a problem given the quality of the three other guys.

I doubt it has anything to do with orders from Deccie
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Ardglass2 wrote:
Red Hand Hero wrote: Still think Faloon should be playing after another impressive performance last week but McLaughs obviously has his favourites/orders.

I suspect Faloon on the bench has more to do with his dislocated finger than anything else, a precaution before next week and not a problem given the quality of the three other guys.

I doubt it has anything to do with orders from Deccie
Hope you are right Ardglass, if it continues with Henry at 7 though it does look like outside influence is involved even some journos are hinting in that direction as most seem to reckon Faloon makes a better 7
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Of course we do have a very real debate on what is our best back row.

For me Ferris is a definite and Henry is a definite no but beyond that a very tough call
Last edited by Ardglass2 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

IIRC when we announced the Rush signing, the management intimated that Ferris, Rush, Henry would be our first choice back row. It would appear that it was always the Ulster managements intention to try and shoehorn 3 ball carrying players in, and further I'm not sure the reason why Ireland would be trying to create another 7 any more than 6's or 8's.
StandUlstermen
Novice

Post by StandUlstermen »

If i was to select our best backrow it would comprise Ferris at blinside, Faloon at openside and Robbie at 8. He ha the best hands of all of our forwards (except maybe 1F) although in previous seasons i felt he lacked the physicality to break the gain line. He seems to have added a newfound grunt to his carrying and also his defence which puts him ahead of Pedrie im my mind.
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Novice

Post by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead »

StandUlstermen wrote:If i was to select our best backrow it would comprise Ferris at blinside, Faloon at openside and Robbie at 8. He ha the best hands of all of our forwards (except maybe 1F) although in previous seasons i felt he lacked the physicality to break the gain line. He seems to have added a newfound grunt to his carrying and also his defence which puts him ahead of Pedrie im my mind.
Agree with that. Faloon is by far our best option at 7. All our other back row players are big ball carrying hole punching monsters. Faloon has that hunter killer instict a good openside needs.
What's the point of a rhetorical question