Positives & Negatives from Munster match

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Positives & Negatives from Munster match

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:Backaway I find myself agreeing with almost everything you said in your post. Although not a 100% sure about the McIlwaine being wrong shape for a fullback???

Biggest neg for me was not the poor 2nd half performance or failure to convert 1st half pressure into points but the mindless idiots who booed at the fulltime whistle!! What do those people feel they will achieve by booing? The team we put out tonight were probably, in Ulster terms, the least experienced team we have ever put out. We had young men out on the pitch who for the most part stepped up to the plate and showed enough that they should/will get further runs in the team - I'm talking McAllister, Spence, Marshall, D'Arcy and Cronin - and will hopefully develop into very good players. Also we had the new Saffers who didn't live up to their reputations tonight but it is still very early days. We might not like it but they are still coming to terms with a very different style of play, different playing conditions and also, and maybe more importantly, they are adapting to a new culture and way of life off the pitch.

We played last night with a real lack of ML experience on the pitch. The Saffers will grow into the role, hopefully sooner rather than later, but they will. They are much to good not to!! And the young uns will only benefit from playing alongside world cup winners and guys with the quality Muller, Pienaar & Wannenburg undoubtedly have.

The team needs our support at this time when things are tough rather than boo's and insults which will do nothing for their confidence. I think the "fans", for want of a better word, should be ashamed of themselves!!

ps as for earlier poster who heard the guy shout at Pienaar...you should have hit him!!
Well now, we appear to be on the brink of forming a mutual appreciation society :D I don't have any problem agreeing with your comments.

Don't feel discomforted about agreeing with me. I normally take the precaution of a second view of the game to confirm my understanding of what happened, an example a few other assholes might try before spouting garbage in their feelings of being slighted by an under-performing team they claim to support :lol: :lol: :lol:

To clarify my "McIlwaine's shape" comment, you will seldom find a beanpole at 15 & in general the good ones are more likely to be a shorter more well built, slightly stockier specimen. Goes with the requirement for moving in all directions without the need for a wide turning circle and the need for a bit of power in the tackle. Just a generalisation of course but if you check out the worlds quality at 15 I think what I'm saying stands up - as a generalisation. Young McIlwaine reminds me too much of Bambi I'm afraid, much as I wish him well.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

+ives

Humph - did little wrong (except maybe one penalty that didn't make touch), kicked for corners well
Spence - played well enough to suggest when at full strength he should be one the bench rather than McIlwaine
D'Arcy - also did little wrong - he should be starting full back
Thought Pedrie had a decent enough game - made yards with the ball - appears he goes into contact a bit high at times though

-ives

restarts
lack of plan in attack
the ref - not the reason we lost but we hardly got a decision in the second half - far too chummy with the Munster players
break downs - why aren't we commiting enough players to clear out the oppostion and secure quality ball?
Up and unders - why are we no longer competing for the ball? Poor, poor poor - why not just lob them the ball?
McIlwaine - still young but he's had enough chances for now
How badly we lost our shape in the second half
Place kicking
What on earth are the coaches saying at half time? I'm too far away to hear the alledged profanities of Doak but if thats the way they are trying to motivate during a game then I'm not surprised confidence is being lost. Errors obviously have to be pointed out but there's a way of doing it in a positive way
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Looks like we'll be playing Connacht again this year for the third Heineken spot....
Too many players going through the motions, and some taking the money and running. Not much pride in the Ulster jersey. An outrageous attempt to be populist sir, shame on you - nobody lacked effort last night - many other things but effort? you are simply wrong. :scratch:

How come Munster have no problems "filling" their jersey?- even their over seas signing seem to be absorbed into Munster culture and ethos. Even Munster 2's were more than a match for us- desire and pride can patch up shortcomings elsewhere.

Why is the same not true for Ulster? Our history is as rich. I seem to remember International teams feared to come to Ravenhill. Ulster played Queensland around 1986 as unofficial "best provincial team in the world" type match. (we lost 6-4 (!) as I remember, but were the better side.)

Look at some of the donkeys we have signed over the years- the signings this year have the pedigree, but do they have the desire? This question is now troubling me. Pienaar, for all his reputation, looks like either a guy going through the motions, out of form, or questioning his move here.Sorry, more nonsense - not a great night last night but nonsense Maybe all 3. As a professional, he at least has an obligation to fulfill.

Don't get me wrong, the S.A. connection has served Ulster well- Robbie Kempson amd BJ Botha are two of our best ever signings. Ireland would kill for either these days. Johan Muller seems honest and up for it. Diack has real potential, but when will it convert to arrival?

If I'm wrong, then time to blame the management. Whaaaaaaaa ???? No if you are wrong time to shut it and blame yourself We seem bereft of ideas. But nothing can excuse or forgive the lack of passion for the jersey, professionalism or not. If I was ever good enough, probably only a Lions jersey would surpass wearing an Ulster jersey. Ireland wouldn't even come into it. Do enough of the current squad feel the same? An attempt to become the first Ulsterman to bypass the Irish team & go straight to the Lions :lol: *(leave it Cables :evil: )
I always tend to dismiss the views of someone who would rather play for an occasional touring team than play for their own country & for you sir I do not intend to make an exception. For your information nothing should surpass playing for Ulster - everything else is just cream on top.
Harsh backawaygoonahead :lol:
Populist or not, I didn't see it. And populist doesn't make it wrong. Sorry, but thats what I got from Pienaar.

Rf. Pienaar, it's OK saying I'm talking nonsense, but apart from his first game, we haven't seen much else, other than an extemely slick pass and reasonable defence. The point I was making was my concern regarding his move here. To escape a lunatic S.A. coach doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in his desire to play here. Let's just say I really do hope its a blip in form and new surroundings. But at the end of the day, as a professional earning a lot of euro's, there is a minimum performance level expected. I would LOVE Pienaar to work for Ulster, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise. I do also take into account a poor performance from the Ulster pack in front of him.

Ref. shutting it- I take that as welcome to the bear pit. So far we've kidded ourselves with wins against much weaker opponents and an out of sorts Ospreys. Take off the Ulster Red tinted spectacles. Sorry, lack of ideas, one dimensional tactics and no plan B from the management. Maybe the lack of passion is a reflection of lack of confidence in McLaughlin and co.? We played into Munster's hands last night, with a game plan they've all been weaned on.

Btw- ref Ulster and the Lions- u missed the point, playing for Ulster IS playing for my country. And I agree that Lions is the cream on top. Double clotted cream. As an Ulsterman, why would you not want to follow the footsteps of Ulster greats wearing the Red jersey? Any Ulsterman wearing the jersey of the greatest touring team on earth further honours the white of Ulster.

I take your opinions on board sir, and dismiss them as contemptuously as you do mine. :stir: :red: XX
Exterminate all rational thought
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
cables wrote:
Seems as appropriate as thon wee kilty band (the massed band of cops & screws) when the Scots were over.
Perhaps a visit to Specsavers is required.

It was a combined band of screws and screws as I recall.

No doubt I will cop it should I be wrong.
You may well be right Cables, but who for? I find it hard to say this with confidence, because I seldom trust my memory, but........................think you are wrong :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cables was right - 'twas ihe combined screws from north and south prison services.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Yes Paul, I have already humbled myself and undertaken never to question his accuracy again :D

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Yes Paul, I have already humbled myself and undertaken never to question his accuracy again :D
Sorry gonad, I posted the rersponse as I came across the original post - I've been kind of nervous about reading all the crap after the performance last night.
Paul.

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Whilst discussing idiots, is it just my blindness or was a Scottish Fleg added to the regular multiplicity of flegs in the vicinity of the 2nd barrier tonight or is it something I have missed before. If the owner is a poster here please let us know WTF this has to do with Ulster. Seems as appropriate as thon wee kilty band (the massed band of cops & screws) when the Scots were over. :duh:
Maybe it's your blindness (already acknowledged in respect of the kilties :wink: ), OR you may have been correct. You almost certainly have missed it before - trip to Specsavers DEFINITELY needed. :stir:

I didn't notice it myself last night, but Rab C Kimble sometimes brings one and may have done so again, although even he usually restricts flying it to occasions Simon Danielli has done something of note. As you say, however, in the context of discussing idiots ......

:lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Looks like we'll be playing Connacht again this year for the third Heineken spot....
Too many players going through the motions, and some taking the money and running. Not much pride in the Ulster jersey. An outrageous attempt to be populist sir, shame on you - nobody lacked effort last night - many other things but effort? you are simply wrong. :scratch:

How come Munster have no problems "filling" their jersey?- even their over seas signing seem to be absorbed into Munster culture and ethos. Even Munster 2's were more than a match for us- desire and pride can patch up shortcomings elsewhere.

Why is the same not true for Ulster? Our history is as rich. I seem to remember International teams feared to come to Ravenhill. Ulster played Queensland around 1986 as unofficial "best provincial team in the world" type match. (we lost 6-4 (!) as I remember, but were the better side.)

Look at some of the donkeys we have signed over the years- the signings this year have the pedigree, but do they have the desire? This question is now troubling me. Pienaar, for all his reputation, looks like either a guy going through the motions, out of form, or questioning his move here.Sorry, more nonsense - not a great night last night but nonsense Maybe all 3. As a professional, he at least has an obligation to fulfill.

Don't get me wrong, the S.A. connection has served Ulster well- Robbie Kempson amd BJ Botha are two of our best ever signings. Ireland would kill for either these days. Johan Muller seems honest and up for it. Diack has real potential, but when will it convert to arrival?

If I'm wrong, then time to blame the management. Whaaaaaaaa ???? No if you are wrong time to shut it and blame yourself We seem bereft of ideas. But nothing can excuse or forgive the lack of passion for the jersey, professionalism or not. If I was ever good enough, probably only a Lions jersey would surpass wearing an Ulster jersey. Ireland wouldn't even come into it. Do enough of the current squad feel the same? An attempt to become the first Ulsterman to bypass the Irish team & go straight to the Lions :lol: *(leave it Cables :evil: )
I always tend to dismiss the views of someone who would rather play for an occasional touring team than play for their own country & for you sir I do not intend to make an exception. For your information nothing should surpass playing for Ulster - everything else is just cream on top.
Harsh backawaygoonahead :lol:
Populist or not, I didn't see it. And populist doesn't make it wrong. Sorry, but thats what I got from Pienaar.

Rf. Pienaar, it's OK saying I'm talking nonsense, but apart from his first game, we haven't seen much else, other than an extemely slick pass and reasonable defence. The point I was making was my concern regarding his move here. To escape a lunatic S.A. coach doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in his desire to play here. Let's just say I really do hope its a blip in form and new surroundings. But at the end of the day, as a professional earning a lot of euro's, there is a minimum performance level expected. I would LOVE Pienaar to work for Ulster, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise. I do also take into account a poor performance from the Ulster pack in front of him.

Ref. shutting it- I take that as welcome to the bear pit. So far we've kidded ourselves with wins against much weaker opponents and an out of sorts Ospreys. Take off the Ulster Red tinted spectacles. Sorry, lack of ideas, one dimensional tactics and no plan B from the management. Maybe the lack of passion is a reflection of lack of confidence in McLaughlin and co.? We played into Munster's hands last night, with a game plan they've all been weaned on.

Btw- ref Ulster and the Lions- u missed the point, playing for Ulster IS playing for my country. And I agree that Lions is the cream on top. Double clotted cream. As an Ulsterman, why would you not want to follow the footsteps of Ulster greats wearing the Red jersey? Any Ulsterman wearing the jersey of the greatest touring team on earth further honours the white of Ulster.

I take your opinions on board sir, and dismiss them as contemptuously as you do mine. :stir: :red: XX
Splendid, this one could out do "The Mousetrap." I'm convinced there are decades of mileage in this one. :cheers:

It was particularly nice of you to send me a couple of kisses at the end of what was otherwise a fairly unfriendly sentence but I must warn you that I am happily married to Mrs Backaway, have been for over 30 years, am ecstatically happy within this union and more importantly, although I haven't a homophobic bone in my body, do not now nor intend in the immediate future to "bat for the other side" albeit I refuse to entirely rule out the possibility as a future option - none of us knows their future of course save for the twin certainties of death & taxes. You are wasting your time with such advances and I just thought it only fair to point this out "up front" - I despise people who lead others on with false hope.

Now that we have that potential misunderstanding out of the way I should like to address one or two of your points - I would hate to disappoint you as clearly your long-winded reply was seeking a response (trust me I understand such things) :wink:

1) Piennar - FFS man dear, why do you think he is here? Did you think he may have heard of the famous red hand and thought - whahey, I'll have some of that. He is here as a professional rugby player who has been offered a substantial stipend to give of his best & secondly the presence of some friends here obviously helped his decision.

What you, amongst several others, seem to forget is that he has come into a team which is not exactly functioning like a well-oiled machine, he has been getting over an injury & finally he is playing with quite a number of teammates he has possibly never heard of never mind seen play. Don't you think it is vaguely stupid to expect that everything will run like clockwork from day one or even day 30 ?

2) I could feel many decent people wince when you came out with that classic old chestnut "Ulster - my country." I am a comparative newcomer here myself but the old "flegs and emblems" issue makes many vaguely nauseous. That notwithstanding I feel you need to be appraised of the facts.

Ulster is a wonderful place, apart from its abnormal proportion of half-wits per 1000 of population, but in no shape or form is it a country, that is not my opinion it is a simple fact. I wonder - although its probably just my idle curiosity as in reality it is irrelevant - but how many of Ulster's counties constitute your country? Like it or not you, assuming you were born here, are Irish - you may well not like the fact by the sound of things but not liking facts doesn't change them. That is your nationality & please don't be tedious enough to go down the British line, Great Britain is of course a union of three countries none of which are yours. Unquestionably you are a British subject but I'm quite sure I don't need to tell you, that isn't a nationality either. That too is a fact so no amount of huffing & puffing will change that either.

So no, I didn't miss the point - you are simply somewhat confused by your lack of understanding of what constitutes a country.

Finally a little advice, well intentioned I can tell you in all seriousness. It is generally unwise to explain yourself too much on this forum. There are a few unscrupulous posters around who will dine out on such signs of weakness.

Similarly - and far too much time has passed since I last issued this advice - "Never apologise son, its a sign of weakness" - doubtless as a man who can string a few sentences together you will recognise that quotation, delivered by John Wayne when playing Capt Nathan Bittles in "She wore a yellow ribbon" , directed by John Ford at Monument Valley which as I'm sure you will know bestrides the state-line bordering Utah & Arizona. Should you wish to visit I can heartily recommend Gouldings Lodge as a tolerable billet for your stay (hope this helps.)

Take it or leave it, that is the best I can do for you. I'm sorry to have disappointed you on the romantic front but I'm sure you will agree it was best to put our cards on the table from the outset.

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I hesitate to join in internal Ulster debate but I really question some decisions up there.
Ruan Pienaar was a massive disappointment. He is not worth the money, so far, and I question why you dispensed with Isaac Boss.
Boss impresses me and many others at the RDS. Some of the other imports, apart from Pienaar, you have are not doing it either. Contrast Isa Nacewa and Richard Strauss to name but two.
I wanted Ulster to add to Irish rugby this season and widen international choices. This is not happening.
A lot of my Leinster friends are saying: why not give Connacht a bit of the money Ulster get as they seem to be doing better on a shoestring? At least Connnacht have pride and commitment.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Your another cheaky wee horlix - feck off and go and ask Henry, Muller and Brady if they had any pride or commitment
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Dublin4 wrote:I hesitate to join in internal Ulster debate but I really question some decisions up there.
Ruan Pienaar was a massive disappointment. He is not worth the money, so far, and I question why you dispensed with Isaac Boss.
Boss impresses me and many others at the RDS. Some of the other imports, apart from Pienaar, you have are not doing it either. Contrast Isa Nacewa and Richard Strauss to name but two.
I wanted Ulster to add to Irish rugby this season and widen international choices. This is not happening.
A lot of my Leinster friends are saying: why not give Connacht a bit of the money Ulster get as they seem to be doing better on a shoestring? At least Connnacht have pride and commitment.

funny that. Until he moved he was apparently the crappest SH in the magners
Paul.

cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

backawaygoonahead wrote:An attempt to become the first Ulsterman to bypass the Irish team & go straight to the Lions :lol: *(leave it Cables :evil: )
Spoilsport - now you may never know.

backawaygoonahead wrote:you (cables) would be a gift to play at poker.

Not a widely held view during my playing time.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:I seem to remember International teams feared to come to Ravenhill. Ulster played Queensland around 1986 as unofficial "best provincial team in the world" type match. (we lost 6-4 (!) as I remember, but were the better side.)
Yes we lost to Queensland on 14 Jan 1986 by the score you posted.

Prior to the game, Ulster's form was - WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Roger Anderson (LI) scored a try against 2 penalties by Queensland. Philip Matthews (Ards) was injured in the first minute and was replaced by David Crawford (Instonians).

The form sequence started on 10 Feb 1984 with a victory over Dinamo Bucharest.

IF you had an appointment with your Doctor to discuss memory loss, I suggest you cancel it. I know about my memory loss - perhaps my records are, by substitution, to cover the loss. :lol:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Dublin4 wrote:I hesitate to join in internal Ulster debate but I really question some decisions up there.
Perhaps you should compare to some of the very poor imports Leinster have brought in and then decide which branch is making poor decisions?

Regarding Connacht you will be delighted to hear they are likely to get more money from the IRFU as indeed are Ulster. The increased capacities in Dublin and Thomond mean Leinster and Munster don't need just so much from the central kitty. So keep those crowds rolling in to help your neighbouring provinces.
The future isn't what it used to be
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

How long did you hesitate for? Half a second?

Ulster didn't dispense with Boss, he chose to leave when his contract was up.

He was offered a substantial contract to stay, but he knew that if Ulster paid handsomely to bring in a non-IQ SH, they weren't paying that money for him to sit on the bench, so Isaac knew that was the best he could hope for for quite a bit of the season. He chose to go to RDS to compete for a 1st team place rather than stay here.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right