Worst performance of professional era?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Was tonight's game against Munster the worst performance by Ulster in professional era?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 45

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Worst performance of professional era?

Post by Rooster »

No where near the worst performance, in fact two very even sides for the entire match, just a speculative pass to try and win in the last minute left a scoreline which in no way represented the true efforts of both sides, albeit not great from either side.
againstthehead wrote:yeah, we've all been known to over-react after a game. Certainly, with regards to gameplan or LACK OF GAMEPLAN, last fri night was diabolical. Individual performances were NOT that bad... but collectively, as an attacking unit we were rubbish.
Got it just about on the head there ath :cry:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

againstthehead wrote:yeah, we've all been known to over-react after a game. Certainly, with regards to gameplan or LACK OF GAMEPLAN, last fri night was diabolical. Individual performances were NOT that bad... but collectively, as an attacking unit we were rubbish.

lack of gameplan surely reflects on the coaches,D Humps is on record as saying he has no influence on the pitch as he leaves that to the coaching team,I also remember something about how contracts are tied up in sept/october,I wonder does this also apply to the coaching team,that aside,with Emerick and to a lesser extent Scott Lavalla,been tied to Ulster,I just wonder[not advocating this by the way] if EOS is being groomed for a position after the world cup.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Emerick is gone now in a couple of weeks and La valla has a USA cap

I'd take EOS in a heartbeat, simply because I'm sick of Ulster being looked down upon by Leinster and Munster fans and just want someone in who has experience at a high level.

sick to the teeth of this crap and I'm getting to the point where I feel like saying Fudge this and I'll go and support my local club side (Dungannon) vs Munster and Leinster clubs in the AIL.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Big-al wrote:Emerick is gone now in a couple of weeks and La valla has a USA cap

I'd take EOS in a heartbeat, simply because I'm sick of Ulster being looked down upon by Leinster and Munster fans and just want someone in who has experience at a high level.

sick to the teeth of this crap and I'm getting to the point where I feel like saying Fudge this and I'll go and support my local club side (Dungannon) vs Munster and Leinster clubs in the AIL.

the point I was trying to make Al was that we ended up with two Yanks,while EOS is their coach,why have we ended up with them in our ranks?

You should always support your local team,and you will find a Dungannon a great team to follow :wink:
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
ArticDonkey wrote:Disgraceful thread in my opinion.
Sorry my 4 legged friend but it isn't disgraceful, at worst it is just hopelessy inaccurate and almost certainly is simply a disappointed overreaction posted just after midnight on match night, so possibly a drink or two involved.

Given that the author is a frequent contributor of longstanding & in my limited knowledge of his contributions, not a poster of crap, I think you could reasonably give him a mulligan on this one. :wink:

by againstthehead » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

yeah, we've all been known to over-react after a game. Certainly, with regards to gameplan or LACK OF GAMEPLAN, last fri night was diabolical. Individual performances were NOT that bad... but collectively, as an attacking unit we were rubbish.
Do agree with both :thumright: ;
and the more time passes the more I come to the conclusion, that first port of call has to be with the leaders - the key question (exactly as above) has to be what gameplan were the players given? and did they play to that plan? we may never know the answer to that one.
Some of the over-reactive rubbish that has been written on this and other sites (e.g. facebook) is just plain wrong, you dont get over 20 (40 in some cases) international SA caps unless you have some modicum of talent (I would suggest a little more than someone who hasn't even played for the Ravens and yet gets a place). So lets draw breath and truly think how such a gathering of talent can fail to pull it together on the pitch. Would failure to build a coherent team selection be closer to the truth.

Difficult times call for a focus and level headed approach, headless name calling, scape-goating, wailing and booing will only lead to self destruction - stand firm, stand up! :red:
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

UlsterJock wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:
Sorry my 4 legged friend but it isn't disgraceful, at worst it is just hopelessy inaccurate and almost certainly is simply a disappointed overreaction posted just after midnight on match night, so possibly a drink or two involved.

Given that the author is a frequent contributor of longstanding & in my limited knowledge of his contributions, not a poster of crap, I think you could reasonably give him a mulligan on this one. :wink:

by againstthehead » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:45 pm

yeah, we've all been known to over-react after a game. Certainly, with regards to gameplan or LACK OF GAMEPLAN, last fri night was diabolical. Individual performances were NOT that bad... but collectively, as an attacking unit we were rubbish.
Do agree with both :thumright: ;
and the more time passes the more I come to the conclusion, that first port of call has to be with the leaders - the key question (exactly as above) has to be what gameplan were the players given? and did they play to that plan? we may never know the answer to that one.
Some of the over-reactive rubbish that has been written on this and other sites (e.g. facebook) is just plain wrong, you dont get over 20 (40 in some cases) international SA caps unless you have some modicum of talent (I would suggest a little more than someone who hasn't even played for the Ravens and yet gets a place). So lets draw breath and truly think how such a gathering of talent can fail to pull it together on the pitch. Would failure to build a coherent team selection be closer to the truth.

Difficult times call for a focus and level headed approach, headless name calling, scape-goating, wailing and booing will only lead to self destruction - stand firm, stand up! :red:

Yup difficult times need a focus,to me this focus is directed towards the coaching team,they are not up to the job.Ulster fans have been standing up and standing firm for too many years now without any real reward, taken for granted by some,and I would imagine that the fans patience has been taken to the limit ,time to stand up and say enough is enough.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Boot,

I promise you that I am not trying to wind you up here nor am I trying to offend you BUT I think you are taking the role of the fan a bit far here. In reality we are simply the mugs who pay to go along and be "entertained." We are not "shareholders" in any real sense of the word other than the success/performance of the team matters to us in an emotional way - I know that if we win I have a bit of bounce in my step the following week & if not, I feel like kicking something.

If we don't like it our only realistic response is to withdraw our support which is something I will never do, I'm an old dog with no desire to learn new tricks & Ulster is like an old pair of slippers to me. So we moan a bit and turn up for the next game, that is how it has always been. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Pretty much sums it up gonad.

And I would say it was definitley not the worst performance - but it was one of the most disappointing losses.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

backawaygoonahead wrote:Boot,

I promise you that I am not trying to wind you up here nor am I trying to offend you BUT I think you are taking the role of the fan a bit far here. In reality we are simply the mugs who pay to go along and be "entertained." We are not "shareholders" in any real sense of the word other than the success/performance of the team matters to us in an emotional way - I know that if we win I have a bit of bounce in my step the following week & if not, I feel like kicking something.

If we don't like it our only realistic response is to withdraw our support which is something I will never do, I'm an old dog with no desire to learn new tricks & Ulster is like an old pair of slippers to me. So we moan a bit and turn up for the next game, that is how it has always been. :wink:

Trouble is season ticket sales are down, crowds are down.

People are starting to vote with their feet and it ain't good.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Ardglass2 wrote:Trouble is season ticket sales are down, crowds are down.

People are starting to vote with their feet and it ain't good.
And this was Ulster's great chance to advertise themselves - the first sell-out, or something close to a sell-out, of the season, and we were served up a crap game and dispiriting loss.

I'd say crowd for the Dragons will be lucky to breach 7,000...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

My guess is 6,500 if weather good

6,200 if weather bad
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Novice

Post by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead »

Worst performance no, you could certainly pick out half a dozen games from last year at least.
But is was one of the most disapointing. Ignoring the last minute breakaway, Ulster again got struck down with white wash fever and could not make the strong positions count. Absolutly no cutting edge.

I thought Humph had a great first half but why was Ruan given the kicking duty especially after IH was so much better last week.

Do they ever practise restarts, i am really beginning to wonder :duh:
What's the point of a rhetorical question
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Ulster are brill!!!!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

KenDoddsDadsDogsDead wrote:Do they ever practise restarts, i am really beginning to wonder :duh:
If they do it's probably against another ulster XV who are even worse and make them look good ........ until they come up against proper opposition
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ArticDonkey

Post by ArticDonkey »

backawaygoonahead wrote:

Alright Goon, thats fair enough but it is still wrong, imho, and although it is important not to stigmatise, I do also know that will probably not have any real effects on the players. Out of principle, however, to the youngsters, being tainted by association, I disagree with the original thread post.