Ulster V Dragons

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster V Dragons

Post by BR »

NGD wrote:Paul Turner has named his Newport Gwent Dragons side to face Ulster at Ravenhill this Friday night in the Magners League.

There are only two changes in the starting line up to the team which beat European giants Munster at Rodney Parade last week, and one of these is positional, as Lewis Evans and Gavin Thomas trade the 6 and 7 shirts with last Friday’s man-of-the-match Thomas restored to openside flanker, whilst the impressive Toby Faletau remains at number eight.

The other change is in the second row, where Adam Jones comes in for Rob Sidoli, with Scott Morgan on the bench. Luke Charteris and the front row combination of Phil Price, captain Tom Willis and Nigel Hall all retain their places.

The Dragons back-line is unchanged, with Pat Leach staying at full-back, Adam Hughes and new father Aled Brew on the wings, and the effective combination of Ashley Smith and Tom Riley in the centre. Wayne Evans and Jason Tovey also start in a proven half-back pairing.

Steve Jones takes Lloyd Burns’ spot on the replacements’ bench, whilst Will Harries, who was on standby for Wales last week, returns to the squad as one of the substitutes. Ben Castle and Hugh Gustafson cover the prop positions, whilst young scrum half Jonathan Evans is again amongst the replacements. Back row Hugo Ellis and outside half Matthew Jones round off the bench.

Ulster currently sit fourth in the Magners League. The Dragons’ last trip over the Irish Sea ended in defeat to Leinster, but the Men of Gwent have performed well at Ravenhill in recent seasons, battling to a 16-14 victory in 2008-09, with the sides drawing 22-22 in February 2010.

Wales back row Danny Lydiate is unavailable due to a thigh strain.

NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS: Pat Leach, Adam Hughes, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Aled Brew; Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans; Phil Price, Tom Willis (c), Nigel Hall, Luke Charteris, Adam Jones, Lewis Evans, Gavin Thomas, Toby Faletau.

Replacements: Steve Jones, Ben Castle, Hugh Gustafson, Scott Morgan, Hugo Ellis, Will Harries, Jonathan Evans, Matthew Jones.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Ulster's match against the Dragons has been called off following a pitch inspection this lunchtime...

The Round 10 fixture was due to be played at Ravenhill tomorrow night but with no sign of the freezing weather conditions easing up, and the Dragons due to travel this evening, Ulster Rugby have been forced to call off the game after a pitch inspection this lunchtime.

The game will now be rescheduled Magners League and supporters holding tickets for the match are advised that they will be valid for the re-scheduled fixture
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

It seems a bit odd but the forecast for tomorrow is for +1C during daylight hours.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

jackthelad wrote:It seems a bit odd but the forecast for tomorrow is for +1C during daylight hours.
+1C wont actually melt very much and with the game due to be on after dark there was a chance of the pitch freezing between pulling off the covers and the match time. Never an easy decision to make, but with the Dragons having a difficult journey to get here probably the correct one.

Earliest game of a season to have been frozen off Cables?
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

jackthelad wrote:It seems a bit odd but the forecast for tomorrow is for +1C during daylight hours.

Not really relevant by this stage of the week wiith tempratures over the last few days ground must be deeply frozen and as ColinM says might be +1 in the morning but not really effective probably until 10:00am and once 3:00pm comes aroiund temprature will drop again. Forecast for tonite is possible -6.
I think that UR have made the right call all round no point in holding off and having Dragons travel only to have to travel back home again and then theire is the question of the off the pitch ice etc.
I have noticedd sevaral car parks which could pass for ice rinks at the moment.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Wise decision. Another week to plot the demise of Bath injury free . :thumright:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I guess we should pencil in 18th March for the rearranged fixture.

Ire v Eng weekend, and the Anglo-Occi-anglo Cup final.

But hopefully all but the match 22 (ish) would be released from Ireland camp.

If Dragons make the Anglo-Anglo final, then it'll have to be an ERC weekend (8 or 29 Apr) - hopefuly not possible - or a midweek game.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk