State of the Pitch/Terraces?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Re: State of the Pitch/Terraces?

Post by darkside lightside »

BR wrote:
darkside lightside wrote: does anyone know why the beeb's weather reporting is so utterly gash??? :scratch:
It's not - they pretty much tie in with the met-office data - it's just not necessarily presented in the same way or updated as regularly.
it's terrible in London... wrong literally every single day - whereas that met check website is unerringly accurate.. I don't understand because I would have thought they use the same base data!

hmm total loose end for tmrw evening now, fecking snowed in, freezing, with no rugby to watch :? :(
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Surely they can get a hold of a few big diesel garage heaters from somewhere and get them under the covers.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
midulsterrugby
Novice

Post by midulsterrugby »

GAME IS OFF FRIDAY NIGHT :cry:
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

darkside lightside wrote:
BR wrote:
darkside lightside wrote: does anyone know why the beeb's weather reporting is so utterly gash??? :scratch:
It's not - they pretty much tie in with the met-office data - it's just not necessarily presented in the same way or updated as regularly.
it's terrible in London... wrong literally every single day - whereas that met check website is unerringly accurate.. I don't understand because I would have thought they use the same base data!

hmm total loose end for tmrw evening now, fecking snowed in, freezing, with no rugby to watch :? :(

I think the Scarlets and Leinster game is still on,bbc2 w
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

It's disappointing that the game is called off for Friday night but what gives me more concern is that with no real improvement in the weather forecast for next week the Bath game also risks not being played.
If I am not mistaken (as with Stade away last season), if the host side cannot provide a suitable playable pitch the points go to the opposition in the H cup.
Perhaps someone can confirm this and if so perhaps a work force of fans could make ready to help if required as when the Stade fans stepped up for their team. :red:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

yes mate - that's my understanding - although you may have a few days to schedule the game. Although, if the entire british isles are snow covered then they'll have to make an exception.

Get the marquees out with the blow heaters!!!! that was the plan last year.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

ps. look on the bright side - massive games V Bath, bath and leinster coming up so the guys can do with a rest - of course it would have been nice to have a warm up but a fully rested and fit squad has its bonuses...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Well if it is any consolation Bath have had their game called off tomorrow as well,so both teams will have had a rest.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

no consolation at all...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

TinPig wrote: If I am not mistaken (as with Stade away last season), if the host side cannot provide a suitable playable pitch the points go to the opposition in the H cup.
Back in 2002 a HEC group game between Newcastle and Leinster was postponed twice over the weekend and was eventually played on the Tuesday in Leeds. Newcastle were fined by the ERC "in that they failed to use their best endeavours to ensure that the match did not have to be postponed due to adverse ground conditions and that they failed to have an alternative venue in reserve" but Leinster won the game anyway so I don't know if the punishment would have been different if they didn't.
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

againstthehead wrote:yes mate - that's my understanding - although you may have a few days to schedule the game. Although, if the entire british isles are snow covered then they'll have to make an exception.

Get the marquees out with the blow heaters!!!! that was the plan last year.
...sound advice and start now, not next Thursday when its all too late.

Marquees yes - blow heaters? what good is an eighties band at this time or was that the blow monkeys :scratch: :)
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

TinPig wrote:If I am not mistaken (as with Stade away last season), if the host side cannot provide a suitable playable pitch the points go to the opposition in the H cup.
In January 2006 Calvisano were to play Leeds Tykes. The referee declared the ground unplayable. The next day he declared it playable but Leeds refused to play based on Safety.

ERC ordered that the match be played on Tuesday(?) but Calvisano refused to play.
The ERC Board of Directors today (Thursday 19 January) ruled on the twice postponed Round 5 Heineken Cup Pool 2 match between Rugby Calvisano and Leeds Tykes at Centro Sportivo San Michele, due to be played on Saturday 14 January, 2006.

Following consideration of submissions from the ERC Venue Director, the Match referee and correspondence with both clubs, the ERC Board resolved that the match should not be replayed.

The ERC Board found that Calvisano were at fault and have directed the ERC Disciplinary Officer to proceed with two misconduct complaints against Rugby Calvisano for:

i) failure to prepare a suitable venue for the match (Saturday, 14 January, 2006 at 14.00.)

ii) refusal to fulfil a rescheduled fixture when directed by ERC.

The ERC Board also found that as Leeds Tykes had remained available to fulfill the fixture and had missed the opportunity to win the match and secure a bonus point, Leeds should be awarded the fixture and five match points and four tries (20 points).

The decision by the Board to award Leeds Tykes five match points and four tries was done in order to ensure fairness ahead of the Round 6 matches being played this coming weekend.

The decision of the ERC Board is final and binding.
I suspect the refusal to play the rescheduled (by ERC) fixture was the deciding factor - Newcastle v Leinster was played as mentioned above.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I suspect the decision to call off tomorrows match is more to do with getting the pitch ready for next week, and running the risk if tomorrows match was played of it getting frozen.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

I'm just down the road and I juked out the window there, either there's a heavy frost already or we've had another light fall of snow. All gone white again out there.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

With canvas over the pitch since Tuesday & the forecasters giving what was to come, how in this day and age we can't have generators, heat etc thawing out a pitch is beyond me. Yes I am totally thawed out with a bottle of Bush, followed by a hot port (Taylors 20yr old, what a waste with lemon, cloves etc.) I just don't know how I will survive the weekend without my rugby! I was looking forward to UR stamping their authority on the Dragons. But alas I will have to wait!

C'mon ULSTER!!! Bath next and a bonus point against ateam that has not sored too many tries in the last 4 - 5 matches!!!

Plese God!!! :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!