Day of reckoning arrives for Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Day of reckoning arrives for Ulster

Post by Rooster »

Two wins over Bath are essential for Brian McLaughlin's side, writes Brendan Fanning

Sunday December 05 2010

I f the win in Cardiff two weeks ago had the look of salvation for Ulster's season then Saturday lunchtime in Belfast could be its transformation.

Remember that had they lost in Wales in that Magners League game, it would have left them with four successive defeats going understrength to Treviso five days later, a Treviso side who had already done enough damage to Irish teams this season. Instead they took the bonus in Cardiff and then inflicted on the Italians only their second home defeat of the season. Perfect.

Well, perhaps not that. Having turned potential disaster into two straight wins, Brian McLaughlin had targeted Friday night against the Dragons as the launch pad to get back into contention in Pool 4 in the Heineken Cup. Their non-performance in Biarritz in the last round immediately had a grim look to it, which only got worse when followed by successive defeats in the Magners.

But there's a decent chance of a second qualifier coming out of this pool. And if it's going to be Ulster then they need to eliminate Bath comprehensively over the next two weekends. A haul of 19 points might well be enough to see them qualify for the first time since 1998/'99. Back-to-back wins in these next two rounds would set them up for the final fixtures against Biarritz (home) and Aironi (away) in January.

"The key thing for us is that we go to Bath in the second game with something to play for," McLaughlin says. "One way or another, be it Amlin or Heineken Cup. We were so disappointed last season that we missed out by such a narrow margin. We really want to prove that we've improved, that we're capable of competing with the best."

The chance to do that was against Biarritz in October. And they collapsed after half-time.

"When we look back at it in the cold light of day, those first 40 minutes against Biarritz we felt we were the better team. We felt we didn't take our opportunities and then in the second half we got a sting in the tail from them. But we proved in the first 40 minutes that we could compete with them so we've got to turn that into a major positive for us, and against Bath on Saturday to make sure we play for 80."

The fixture brings together two teams going in different directions. Ulster welcome back a sizeable international contingent in one piece, which McLaughlin can weld to the group who minded the shop well when they were away. Bath on the other hand have won just two of their last nine games.

Their early-season optimism -- predicated on the money of their massively wealthy owner Bruce Craig -- will more likely take a few seasons so justify. Lewis Moody was their marquee signing but his all-round game hasn't filled the gap left by openside Jules Salvi. Nor have they adequately replaced wing Joe Maddock. And with a front five who are struggling -- they jointly top the Premiership for set-pieces lost -- it's food and drink to Ulster.

McLaughlin hopes to have Johann Muller fit again and his only real selection issue will be who to start in the back row. In the last few weeks, Willie Faloon has made himself very useful though it remains to be seen if the coach goes for what he has to offer. Recent history would suggest a starting unit of Pedrie Wannenburg, Robbie Diack at eight and Stephen Ferris at openside, with Chris Henry on the bench.

Nowhere in that lot is there a scavenger, however, which is Faloon's stock in trade. Given that Bath don't have one either, this might be the ideal time to give a real open side a run.

Sunday Independent
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Re: Day of reckoning arrives for Ulster

Post by browner »

I'd like to see Willie make an appearance at some stage...always think that things happen when he's on.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

No question that Bath are an opportunity given their form and also lack of try scoring in recent games but it is essential that we don't take too much comfort from the last 2 "understrength games."

The postponement on Friday was a big loss as our "main team" hasn't played & won together since before Biarritz & the likes of Tom Court & Paddy have had very little rugby.

It does seem a bit like last season when we got Bath at the right time before their season took off & ours imploded. One thing is sure, looking at the group tables, if we beat Bath twice and manage wins home to BO & at Aironi we will qualify - still seems a big ask but then thats what we paid the big bucks for.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I reckon we should field an all Ulster born and bred backrow this weekend

6)Ferris
7)Faloon
8)Henry

20)Wannenburg
Why? Not too sure, but, Henry and Faloon have been outstanding int he last month and obviously Ferris is a shoe in. Of course Wanneburg has also been a standout player for us in the treviso and Blues win but in what will probably be cold, wet typical Norn Iron conditions what better to have than 3 local men who'll fight for every inch to get Ulster over the line
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Diack shoud be back. Very tough decisions to be made. My gut says he'll go with ferris, henry and diack. I'd probably give faloon the nod over henry at 7 but it's a very close call in fairness.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Willie has to be in if its wet and slippy. He will capitalise on handling errors and win us valuable ball :red:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
StandUlstermen
Novice

Post by StandUlstermen »

Wannenburg will almost certainly be in the squad. I would go with

Ferris, Faloon, Diack (if fit), with Wannenburg on the bench. I think McLaughlin will pick

Wannenburg, Ferris, Diack, with Chris Henry on the bench.

The backrow has really stood up with Ferris away and Diack's injury in Cardiff. i would like to see Willie's form rewarded with a starting spot but then Chris Henry was excellent against Cardiff and Pedrie has really stepped up as well. Tough call to be made but i think McL will revert to what he thought was his first choice back row in the Biarritz game.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I'd leave out the wilderbeast and have henry on the bench. Pedrie has been decent but prone to handling errors and coming out of the defensive line. In ferris and diack, we have decent carriers.

Any news on Mueller??
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Ferris, Falloon and Diack to start for me with Henry on the bench, although I think B McL will go with Ferris, Henry and Pedire, with Diack on the bench.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Diack hasn't played in a while, i'd personally leave him out
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Are the team able to access any pitches for training purposes this week,or are they stuck in the gym?
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

They can use the indoor pitch at Jtown, only basic stuff can be done on it though from memory like lineouts back moves, its blood hard if you fall on it!!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:They can use the indoor pitch at Jtown, only basic stuff can be done on it though from memory like lineouts back moves, its blood hard if you fall on it!!!
Damn site softer than an outdoor pitch at present though, unless it is one with 4 inches of snow on top.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

See Irish Times breaking news. Dublin is covered in snow. Why don't you look at the RDS rather than Donnybrook?

Ulster consider moving tie to Dublin
NOEL O’REILLY

Rugby: Although they remain hopeful Ravenhill will be available when Saturday comes, Ulster have already approached the Leinster Branch to enquire about the possibility switching their Heineken Cup tie against Bath to Donnybrook.

With the country still in the grip of the big freeze - a thaw isn’t forecast until later in the week - more snow fell in Belfast last night. Last Friday night’s Magners League match with the Dragons was postponed due to a frozen pitch and Ulster are desperate to avoid a repeat of that situation this weekend.

The entire office and administrative staff, including current president Nigel Hamilton, spent this morning clearing snow from the pitch and they were aided by around 20 local volunteers. Frost covers have been on the pitch for more than a week but the parts of the ground that have remained under shadow remain frozen solid.

With strict fines imposed by the ERC on clubs who fail to provide a venue, Ulster are considering bringing in heaters to help thaw the pitch. The cost factor in doing so is prohibitive but that seems the most likely course of action at this stage.

Another alternative is to switch the match to Donnybrook but that remains a last resort. Ulster expect 12,000 fans through the turnstiles should the match take place at Ravenhill. Donnybrook can accommodate just 7,000 and while many fans may choose not to travel south, particularly because of the weather conditions, problems may arise with the limited capacity in Dublin 4.

“Under ERC Tournament Regulations, there are substantial financial penalites should a club be unable to host a match,” the club said in a statement. “Clubs are required to investigate alternative venues and to show they have made all possible endeavours to ensure their own surface is playable.

“While Ulster have considered alternative venues, including Donnybrook, moving the game would have major implications for both the club and supporters. Without a doubt, the preference is to make Ravenhill playable.”
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Dublin4 wrote:See Irish Times breaking news. Dublin is covered in snow. Why don't you look at the RDS rather than Donnybrook?

Ulster consider moving tie to Dublin
NOEL O’REILLY

Rugby: Although they remain hopeful Ravenhill will be available when Saturday comes, Ulster have already approached the Leinster Branch to enquire about the possibility switching their Heineken Cup tie against Bath to Donnybrook.

With the country still in the grip of the big freeze - a thaw isn’t forecast until later in the week - more snow fell in Belfast last night. Last Friday night’s Magners League match with the Dragons was postponed due to a frozen pitch and Ulster are desperate to avoid a repeat of that situation this weekend.

The entire office and administrative staff, including current president Nigel Hamilton, spent this morning clearing snow from the pitch and they were aided by around 20 local volunteers. Frost covers have been on the pitch for more than a week but the parts of the ground that have remained under shadow remain frozen solid.

With strict fines imposed by the ERC on clubs who fail to provide a venue, Ulster are considering bringing in heaters to help thaw the pitch. The cost factor in doing so is prohibitive but that seems the most likely course of action at this stage.

Another alternative is to switch the match to Donnybrook but that remains a last resort. Ulster expect 12,000 fans through the turnstiles should the match take place at Ravenhill. Donnybrook can accommodate just 7,000 and while many fans may choose not to travel south, particularly because of the weather conditions, problems may arise with the limited capacity in Dublin 4.

“Under ERC Tournament Regulations, there are substantial financial penalites should a club be unable to host a match,” the club said in a statement. “Clubs are required to investigate alternative venues and to show they have made all possible endeavours to ensure their own surface is playable.

“While Ulster have considered alternative venues, including Donnybrook, moving the game would have major implications for both the club and supporters. Without a doubt, the preference is to make Ravenhill playable.”
Leinster don't own the RDS so Ulster would have to pay rent for it.