Leinster thread 2010/11

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cormac
Initiate

Re: Leinster thread 2010/11

Post by Cormac »

BR wrote:The ref was David Wilkinson and I have to say I wasn't dying about some of his interpretations around the breakdown, but I agree with cables, he was perfectly right to use the 2 yellow cards and in FACT was wrong not to issue a third.
He was a joke, worst reffing display I've seen in some time. He sent an Ospreys player to the bin fairly innocuously in the first half and spent the rest of the game making up for it. Binned the wrong Ospreys player, binned Madigan for an offence when it was Cullen who'd committed the actual foul and ignored the two stampings that Madigan received in the same ruck. Pulled up Fergus McFadden for a knock-on that only existed in the ref's mind as McFadden sprinted clear for what would have been a try. Constantly missed forward passes and actual knock-ons, awarded scrums to the wrong team on several occasions, pulled Leinster up for a dangerous tackle but ignored a worse one from the Ospreys, at least Harris-Wright put the player back down on the ground without letting go, compared to the Ospreys player who didn't. Penalised Leinster at rucks for offences which the Ospreys constantly got away with. Hoped I'd never see a worse ref than Peter Fitzgibbon but step forward David Wilkinson, a new low.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Agree with you 100% Cormac he was rubbish. Cables & BR - I wasn't saying the yellows were wrong, I merely pointed out the concession of the pen try when they were down to 13.

My complaint is he was atrocious throughout and reckon Cormac's interpretation isn't far out - I also thought the Ospreys player was carded for not a lot.

He can be bracketed with the Scots, Fitzgibbon & Clancy..... not forgetting Tim Hayes of Wales who did a number on Ulster away to H'quins a couple of years ago.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Watching the game last night, muted, I was not impressed with the ref at all. Leinster played all the rugby but got reffed of the pitch.
Why? Why not?
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Players do get carded from time to time for repeated team infringements.

On the Leinster plays just before the penalty to Leinster to level the score at 3 - 3, the ref called for Ospreys players to roll away on around 4 occasions. Eventually black 5 was lying on top of a Leinster player after having been told to roll away. He did not do so and indeed compounded this by playing the ball (pulling it back in) with his hand. The penalty resulted.

Wilkinson explained that he required more discipline, that black 5 had offended twice during Leinsters advance up the pitch and that repeated infringements were on his mind.

Immediately after the kick-off following the penalty, Duncan Jones entered legally and quickly came at an angle to where he finished on the ground behind the Leinster back foot. Just behind him was black 2 who broke away and then entered from the side. Whistle blew and Jones was shown yellow. I would have shown it to Hibbard BTW but the key point is that Ospreys continued to offend immediately after a 'team' warning and a penalty to Leinster.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

cables wrote:Players do get carded from time to time for repeated team infringements.

On the Leinster plays just before the penalty to Leinster to level the score at 3 - 3, the ref called for Ospreys players to roll away on around 4 occasions. Eventually black 5 was lying on top of a Leinster player after having been told to roll away. He did not do so and indeed compounded this by playing the ball (pulling it back in) with his hand. The penalty resulted.

Wilkinson explained that he required more discipline, that black 5 had offended twice during Leinsters advance up the pitch and that repeated infringements were on his mind.

Immediately after the kick-off following the penalty, Duncan Jones entered legally and quickly came at an angle to where he finished on the ground behind the Leinster back foot. Just behind him was black 2 who broke away and then entered from the side. Whistle blew and Jones was shown yellow. I would have shown it to Hibbard BTW but the key point is that Ospreys continued to offend immediately after a 'team' warning and a penalty to Leinster.
I'd no issue with that yellow card or the one that Leinster got on their line, merely that he awarded them against the wrong people.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Tnhe main point is getting lost in the detail. HE WAS CRAP.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Leinster team to face Clermont. As expected BOD hasn't recovered in time so only one change in the backline from the Scarlets game with Boss being preferred to Reddan. Pack is about as strong as it can be.

15 Isa Nacewa, 14 Shane Horgan, 13 Eoin O'Malley, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Fergus McFadden, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Isaac Boss; 1 Heinke vd Merwe, 2 Richardt Strauss, 3 Mike Ross, 4 Leo Cullen, 5 Nathan Hines, 6 Sean O'Brien, 7 Shane Jennings, 8 Jamie Heaslip.

Bench: 16 Jason Harris-Wright, 17 Cian Healy, 18 Clint Newland, 19 Devin Toner, 20 Dominic Ryan, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Shaun Berne, 23 David Kearney.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

A strong team despite BOD MIA. Boss will be stronger in defence and will need it against this French pack at home. Need to be within one score in the last 15mins to be in with a shout away from home.

Despite the French suffering in their own League, they will target home HEC matches big time!

But Cormac I fear you will go down by at least 10 - 12pts.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Mcfadden, a winger now? Seems he has caught the Earls Syndrome.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Jackie Brown wrote:Mcfadden, a winger now? Seems he has caught the Earls Syndrome.
He played well there last week, but this is an emergency measure with BOD, Fitz and Kearney Sr out injured. Don't think it'll be a long-term move.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

SparkyClarky wrote:A strong team despite BOD MIA. Boss will be stronger in defence and will need it against this French pack at home. Need to be within one score in the last 15mins to be in with a shout away from home.

Despite the French suffering in their own League, they will target home HEC matches big time!

But Cormac I fear you will go down by at least 10 - 12pts.
As long as we match them on match points over the two games I'll be fairly content. Can't afford to let them get a four-try bonus point this weekend though.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Clermont 20 - 13 leinster
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

I don't often sing the praises of Leinster but that was a performance full of character and they were deserving of a hard won point.

The selection of Isaac Boss was well rewarded and he toughed it out well as a 4th back row most of the game.

Having rubbished Mike Ross more than once I havbe to say that against Domingo - thought by many to be the preeminent loosehead in the NH - I thought Ross was outstanding as were the Leinster pack in general.

Not many gave them a chance of anything against Clermont this was a performance right out of the Munster "away in Europe" manual but with a little more attacking wide than Munster often provided in doing the same.

More credit in that Heaslip carried an injury until half time when he was replaced & SOB looked badly concussed early but came back & fought a trooper. Cullens return is a big bonus to Leinster & if they have a fit team next week the "Feva at the Aviva" as I understand it is being billed will be well worth watching.

:blueafro:

Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

backawaygoonahead wrote:I don't often sing the praises of Leinster but that was a performance full of character and they were deserving of a hard won point.

The selection of Isaac Boss was well rewarded and he toughed it out well as a 4th back row most of the game.

Having rubbished Mike Ross more than once I havbe to say that against Domingo - thought by many to be the preeminent loosehead in the NH - I thought Ross was outstanding as were the Leinster pack in general.

Not many gave them a chance of anything against Clermont this was a performance right out of the Munster "away in Europe" manual but with a little more attacking wide than Munster often provided in doing the same.

More credit in that Heaslip carried an injury until half time when he was replaced & SOB looked badly concussed early but came back & fought a trooper. Cullens return is a big bonus to Leinster & if they have a fit team next week the "Feva at the Aviva" as I understand it is being billed will be well worth watching.

:blueafro:
I'd have taken the point before the game, but given the performance, a little disappointed that we didn't get a draw at least. The disallowed Jennings' try would have been given by a good few refs IMO. Anyway, it was a cracking game and we're still in control of the group. Need to win next weekend, obviously, and I'm a little concerned by the growing injury list. Would be a great boon for the side if Heaslip and O'Brien recover from their knocks and BOD is deemed fit. O'Malley had a good game yesterday but BOD brings that little bit extra in attack and especially defence.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Cormac wrote:I'd have taken the point before the game, but given the performance, a little disappointed that we didn't get a draw at least. The disallowed Jennings' try would have been given by a good few refs IMO. Anyway, it was a cracking game and we're still in control of the group. Need to win next weekend, obviously, and I'm a little concerned by the growing injury list. Would be a great boon for the side if Heaslip and O'Brien recover from their knocks and BOD is deemed fit. O'Malley had a good game yesterday but BOD brings that little bit extra in attack and especially defence.
Actually I had forgotten the Jennings try. If the commentator is correct in saying the slightest hold on his shorts meant the tackle was completed then I suppose Barnes was correct but I agree you would often have seen it given.

When Clermont got their 2nd try I feared the foldgates might open but fair play to Leinster - the old Ladyboys taunt is certainly wearing a bit thin these days - they were outstanding & although I didn't see any stats they spent an enormous amount of the 2nd half in the Clermont half. Good luck to them on Saturday.