Redevelopment

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Redevelopment

Post by HammerTime »

Was just wondering what the latest is on Ravenhill redevelopment. Sorry I know this has been done to death but there hasn't been much talk about it lately. First trip to Thomand there at the weekend and have to say I looked on with envy at their ground, a bit jealous may be even. Fcuking turnips. Got me thinking what Ravenhill will look like whenever it may be done. Trawled through previous posts on the subject and other articles found on internet and found a few irregularities.

-15,000 or 18,200? Newspapers say 15,000 and a few people on here have said 18k. Anybody know for sure? Surely if we are going to be spending all this money it would be a serious lack of ambition to go to 15k. A decent run in the Hcup and our attendances would go through the roof. Whats the position of the residents on capacity? I wonder is the training ground going to get a touch up?

-15 or 20 million? A few different totals have been bashed around. Think Thomand rebuild was euro40 miliion.

-Ground style. Two more stands at either end like the new stand and then something bigger with it being predominantly seating to replace the existing barn? Read somewhere that there was to be 10,000 seats with the rest being standing. (ground total). That would mean it would have to be quite are large stand opposite the new stand, upwards on 8-9,000 seats on its own.

-Having a good nosey around the ground at the Leinster match there doesn't seem to be much room at the Aquinas end with plenty of room at the War Memorial obviously. Noticed there was about the same size of the goal area again behind the dead ball lines so maybe could squeeze some room from there. Read somewhere that there was possible issues with Paisleys lot about possible War Mem stand casting a shadow over his church.......FFS.

-Timescale- Think Humph said they were aiming for Jan to start building. Obv that hasn't happened due to IFA fannying about. April has also been mentioned - does this all depend on the budget decision in Feb?

-Would be nice for the ground to be sort of half symmetrical and have a bit of a wow factor size wise too, although beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

-Just thought i'd post this as I know the plans are in and If anybody in the know wanted to shed some more light! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Redevelopment

Post by Rooster »

HammerTime wrote:Read somewhere that there was possible issues with Paisleys lot about possible War Mem stand casting a shadow over his church.......FFS
Must be planned to be some height to cast a shadow right to the Ravenhill Road :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Rooster wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Read somewhere that there was possible issues with Paisleys lot about possible War Mem stand casting a shadow over his church.......FFS
Must be planned to be some height to cast a shadow right to the Ravenhill Road :shock:
With cunning use of the ruler on Google Earth I can tell you that the mid point of the existing main stand is 870 metres from the front door of Big Ian's moneymaking palace of tricks & silent collections.

Now that is one hell of a big shadow. With my relative lack of intelligence I wouldn't have the first idea as to how to work out the height the stand would need to be when the winter sun was at its lowest point to produce the longest shadow, neither do I know at what time of day the shadow would fall in line with the Martyrs, my best guesses are, feckin' massive give or take a few metres either way & late afternoon, respectively.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
Rooster wrote:
With cunning use of the ruler on Google Earth I can tell you that the mid point of the existing main stand is 870 metres from the front door of Big Ian's moneymaking palace of tricks & silent collections.

Now that is one hell of a big shadow. With my relative lack of intelligence I wouldn't have the first idea as to how to work out the height the stand would need to be when the winter sun was at its lowest point to produce the longest shadow, neither do I know at what time of day the shadow would fall in line with the Martyrs, my best guesses are, feckin' massive give or take a few metres either way & late afternoon, respectively.
On a simple guess I would have reckoned probably the biggest and tallest building in the world would be required :scratch: even possibly a stand big enough to hold entire population of Ulster :D :shock: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Hate to be a spoil sport but I think he's referring to the church at the Mt Merrion entrance.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:Hate to be a spoil sport but I think he's referring to the church at the Mt Merrion entrance.
They won't be at all pleased as being referred to as one of "Paisleys lot" :argue:

Last time I heard anything the new bits were to be of same overall height as existing new stand and basically same design except there would just be seats where the boxes are but terracing in front same.

The bit in the match programme about traffic and residents though inferred it would be end of summer at earliest before work could start and only then if residents and planners were happy about parking and traffic.
Rory Best
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Very roughly, and with a lot of rounding out, at 10AM on December 21st this year just over 318ft or 97metres to cast an 870 metre shadow. Dunno about the direction.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

:lol: ....Bunch of comedians on here! :roll:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:6,s:0

Of course, it is not Paisleys church but the one in the link which as you can see, will be in close proximity to any new stand! JB the only one with half a brain cell there to realise what was meant. :stir:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

in response to the original post... from looking at munster's attendances of late i'd be quite happy if ulster had a ground with 15,000 comfortable and sheltered seats/standing positions. if munster can only fill the ground 4 times a year with all their success and brand awareness...
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

AyeYerMa wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:

Very roughly, and with a lot of rounding out, at 10AM on December 21st this year just over 318ft or 97metres to cast an 870 metre shadow. Dunno about the direction.

I hate to appear ungrateful BUT keeping in mind that Big Ian's objection would come to nothing if the shadow merely stopped at his front door we need to factor in the height of the Martyrs Memorial so that it would be totaly in shadow giving the mad menatlist something to complain about.

Sadly the Big Man's website has no details of the dimensions of the MM so I have emailed them for their best guess or precise details. :wink: You never know they may feel that this is not top secret into. In the interim lets assume it to be 100 feet tall.

By the by - what is the calculation or was this a quickie on the back of a fag packet ?

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

HammerTime wrote::lol: ....Bunch of comedians on here! :roll:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:6,s:0

Of course, it is not Paisleys church but the one in the link which as you can see, will be in close proximity to any new stand! JB the only one with half a brain cell there to realise what was meant. :stir:

Jackie will be thrilled Hammer, I can't imagine that he has been caught in possession of grey matter too often :wink:

AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
By the by - what is the calculation or was this a quickie on the back of a fag packet ?
Got to use the charts some poor beggar at Greenwich spends his days making for something.

Edit:- "Length of shadow" is a preprogrammed trig function on an old calculator of mine, just need sun altitude (from charts) and a bit of guesswork.
Last edited by AyeYerMa on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

aarons wrote:in response to the original post... from looking at munster's attendances of late i'd be quite happy if ulster had a ground with 15,000 comfortable and sheltered seats/standing positions. if munster can only fill the ground 4 times a year with all their success and brand awareness...
The logic is slightly flawed here Aarons in that we only have one bite of the cherry to facilitate ourselves for probably the next ten or more years. it is I think possible that with success and marketing development we could be commanding full stadia in the future even at 18 k.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

namron wrote:
aarons wrote:in response to the original post... from looking at munster's attendances of late i'd be quite happy if ulster had a ground with 15,000 comfortable and sheltered seats/standing positions. if munster can only fill the ground 4 times a year with all their success and brand awareness...
The logic is slightly flawed here Aarons in that we only have one bite of the cherry to facilitate ourselves for probably the next ten or more years. it is I think possible that with success and marketing development we could be commanding full stadia in the future even at 18 k.
About 5/6 years ago Leinster announced plans for the redevelopment of Donnybrook which would bring capacity up to circa 13k. The funding was to come from the sale of land behind the stadium which would be used to build apartments. They never received planning permission, fortunately, as that capacity would barely cater for season ticket holders now. It's obviously important not to build a white elephant of a stadium that's barely half full most of the time, but a stadium of 18-20k is hardly beyond Ulster's ability to fill. Better facilities will attract better crowds too.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I think you are right, Cormac. Anyway, the way it was done was that the planning permission was for a stadium of AT LEAST 15,000 but the plans as they currently are (assuming permission is granted for the Aquinas stand) are for a capacity of 18,200.
Rocky.
Bo***cks to Brexit