McLaughlin - time to go back to school?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TinPig
Squire

Re: McLaughlin - time to go back to school?

Post by TinPig »

I will judge McGlock at the end of the season, IMO he's doing a fine job so far.
One thing is for sure he's not a bull $hitter, honest, hard working and he feels the pain when things don't go to plan. You can see it has definitely aged him.
We could get a SH Coach who is slick at sound bites & working the media with one eye on his next post, sitting in the office with the heater on.
We may not fully appreciate McGlock until he's gone. :red:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

HammerTime wrote:
Harold7 wrote:
HammerTime wrote:TBH, look at the players we have. Getting to the QFs is the very least a decent coach should be taking us. Fair play to him, but I still think he is a bit out of his depth. Just look at his persistence with NOC at the start of the season, Faloon debate, lack of subs/plan B and the ongoing feud with Diack to name a few areas of alarm! Feel bad for saying this after a great win at the weekend but a top SHem technical coach with an Ulsterman number 2 would take this team to the next level IMO. Well done though again.
Why SH? What makes you think a SH coach would be better? What on earth makes you think that after all the work that has gone on in the last 2 years to get Ulster moving forward we should be ripping up the manual and starting again with a new coach?
How long has it taken Joe Schmidt to shape Leinster into one of the the best technical teams in Europe along with Toulouse? Superb running lines, passing out of tackle, organisation etc. Fair enough they were a very good team before but he has taken them further no doubt, in what 6-8 months.vastly different teams, one full of international who have won & been semi finalists in last 2 years in HC compared to a team at a low ebb

Did the Shem not sh*t all over the Nhem in the recent Autumn Internationals??irrelevant Ever watch super 15? nope there has never been one shirley :wink: Anyway if you think Ulster are progressing as well as they could, under the current men, well fair enough but I'd doubt you've been to too many matches this year. :stir: bullshit sonny - a stupid little taunt - if you are going to taunt do it properly

ps. IMO we are progressing, just not as much as maybe we could with the players we have. We are very predictable at times and it easy for teams to defend v us. Our try count shows that surely.
work in progress - too many toosers hereabouts expect an instant team microwaved to perfection :lol: feckwits, I blame the disposable "big society" and of course the teachers, parents & government - a generation of dumb ballbags.(hope this gives you some taunting clues & no need to thank me)

Grow up Hammer, thon is a crock o' bullshit & don't call me Shirley :duck:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Backaway, I think if you had taken the time to actually read my posts instead of creaming yourself and diving in you would find that I'm basically saying exactly what your saying ye spacer.

IMO ->Work in progress, doing well -> happy enough with where were at. Should get to the qf, delighted, well done everyone ->will more than likely get put out in the qf, fair enough -> could scrape 4th but prob make 5th in magners ->Better than last year so happy days.

Persistance with NOC(last year and start of this year - would we still see him if he hadn't have got injured 3rd- 4th game???)and Mclwaine, extremely poor basic skills at times for professionals, no plan B when the sh*t hits the fan (on a few occasions), no subs when players were clearly out on their feet (regularly), Diack atm, lack of bonus points (too conservative), predictable play etc etc etc. Where halfway through the season and we still don't know which Ulster will turn up from one match to the next. Where is the consistency? All these points and more just gave me a taste that M'glock is a touch out of his depth. I think as much of the recent progress is down to Humph and Loggie anyway.

YOU WOULD THINK IM GUNNING FOR HIS HEAD HERE BUT IM NOOOOTTTT!!!Basically what i'm saying is he is doing well but in the long run ie. 2-3-4 years I think we eventually going to have to look past him and upgrade. Thats if we want to rule the world as our CEO puts it.

Great players, great people behind the scenes organising, great stadium on the way - is it too much to ask for a top coach SOME DAY to hopefully make us the team we deserve to be?? Don't get me wrong, there is no prouder Ulsterman than me this week, haven't stopped thinking, talking, watching, reading everything about the match. I just think a few people have maybe been seduced by our last couple of great performances in the Heiny rather than looking at the last 2 seasons as a whole. Then again I just might be one negative ba*tard!!

I'm not bashing m'glock. As said before, may not appreciate him tiI when he's gone. I think he's a nice man and beleive it or not I hope he proves me wrong.
Last edited by HammerTime on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

HammerTime wrote:Backaway, I think if you had taken the time to actually read my posts instead of creaming yourself and diving in you would find that I'm basically saying exactly what your saying ye spacer.

IMO ->Work in progress, doing well -> happy enough with where were at. Should get to the qf, delighted, well done everyone ->will more than likely get put out in the qf, fair enough -> could scrape 4th but prob make 5th in magners ->Better than last year so happy days.

Persistance with NOC(last year and start of this year - would we still see him if he hadn't have got injured 3rd- 4th game???)and Mclwaine, extremely poor basic skills at times for professionals, no plan B when the sh*t hits the fan (on a few occasions), no subs when players were clearly out on their feet (regularly), Diack atm, lack of bonus points (too conservative), predictable play etc etc etc. Where halfway through the season and we still don't know which Ulster will turn up from one match to the next. Where is the consistency? All these points and more just gave me a taste that M'glock is a touch out of his depth. I think as much of the recent progress is down to Humph and Loggie anyway.

YOU WOULD THINK IM GUNNING FOR HIS HEAD HERE BUT IM NOOOOTTTT!!!Basically what i'm saying is he is doing well but in the long run ie. 2-3-4 years I think we eventually going to have to look past him and upgrade. Thats if we want to rule the world as our CEO puts it.

Great players, great people behind the scenes organising, great stadium on the way - is it too much to ask for a top coach SOME DAY to hopefully make us the team we deserve to be?? Don't get me wrong, there is no prouder Ulsterman than me this week, haven't stopped thinking, talking, watching, reading everything about the match. I just think a few people have maybe been seduced by our last couple of great performances in the Heiny rather than looking at the last 2 seasons as a whole. Then again I just might be one negative ba*tard!!

I'm not bashing m'glock. I think he's a nice man and beleive it or not I hope he proves me wrong.
Oops. I'm in danger of getting started again on my thoughts about the Bokers. I hope that >TB Conerfleg doesn't read this - he'll be back on giving me gip again. Better watch Hammertime you can't bring reality into this forum!

BTW I agree about plan B and lack of subs. May be our squad just isn't good enough yet?

Not sure what influence a coach really has when there's an experienced squad present. We've got 4 Bokers in key positions. No wonder we're playing it tight just like the Bokkies national team. Plan B seems to be "lets try and barge them over again, again & again"......

Who would you fancy as coach anyway?
LTHG
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

lovesthehardground wrote:
HammerTime wrote:Backaway, I think if you had taken the time to actually read my posts instead of creaming yourself and diving in you would find that I'm basically saying exactly what your saying ye spacer.

I'm not bashing m'glock. I think he's a nice man and beleive it or not I hope he proves me wrong.
Oops. I'm in danger of getting started again on my thoughts about the Bokers. I hope that >TB Conerfleg doesn't read this - he'll be back on giving me gip again. Better watch Hammertime you can't bring reality into this forum!

BTW I agree about plan B and lack of subs. May be our squad just isn't good enough yet?

Not sure what influence a coach really has when there's an experienced squad present. We've got 4 Bokers in key positions. No wonder we're playing it tight just like the Bokkies national team. Plan B seems to be "lets try and barge them over again, again & again"......

Hmm, Clive woodward?? :stir:

When I mentioned great players I meant that when we get our first team out IMO it is a very good team as a whole.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

lovesthehardground wrote:

And another point, some super young players coming through, Luke Marshall, Gilroy, Spence, McAllister, Porter, Jackson etc. Maybe a world class coach would bring them on even more. Seems to be a culture at Ulster of good young players coming through, but just don't quite do enough to go right to the top. Look at Leinster as best example. Remember the old phrase used throughout Ireland 5-6 years ago about our young players coming through - "the future's bright, the futures white." What bull*hit that turned out to be. We're in a similar position now with our young'ns, just hope they can fulfil their potential, and our former ireland "skills coach" can see to it.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

TinPig wrote:I will judge McGlock at the end of the season, IMO he's doing a fine job so far.
One thing is for sure he's not a bull $hitter, honest, hard working and he feels the pain when things don't go to plan. You can see it has definitely aged him.
We could get a SH Coach who is slick at sound bites & working the media with one eye on his next post, sitting in the office with the heater on.
We may not fully appreciate McGlock until he's gone. :red:
well said that man. At the moment, the Jury is out IMHO. The performances haven't been great IMHO - but we're definitely improving and Saturday was an excellent tactical display. Result wise we're probably around about where we should be - we 're a side in transition and as long as we keep heading in the right direction I'm happy enough.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Hats off to Brian McLaughlin for doing what no other coach has achieved, including Harry Williams. 5 wins from 6 pool games & following from that obviously 2 away wins (which HW did achieve at Ebbw Vale & Edinburgh in 99)

We had a decent draw which gave us the opportunity but then we have occasionally had that before and failed.

This season McGlock has had the benefit of us buying in some serious talent but against that it clearly takes time for that to gel as a team. The next biggest things to the HC qualification is that we have finally learned how to get back into a game and win it from behind plus we have rediscovered the ability to win away from home, which is what won us our last trophy.

I very clearly remember the frustration of games last year when we threw away winning positions and the fact that we couldn't kick our own arses never mind win away from home & just about fell over the qualification line for the HC ahead of Connacht.

There are a lot of people to credit with the huge improvement this year but other than the guys who signed the cheques for the new talent, McGlock needs to be recognised for his part. If he is leaving he should go with our grateful thanks for the job he has done.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Well said, although unfortunately I don't think people will realise the importance of the job done by mcglocks until quite a few years down the line
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

I think that it just shows that it is not necessary to go for a SH coach our home bred team have managed to produce the goods. The Coaching team have all a good appreciation of the importance of the "Red Hand " and the support @ Ravenhill.

I also think that the appointment of "Old" Humph as Operations Director has taken a lot of the admin work off the coach and allowed for more time in the track suit out on the ground.
Also Humphreys is such an obviously genuine guy that it goes along way in helping to sign players.

The Fit Controller must also be given some credit formaking things tick around Ravenhill. I did see his predecessor at the Biarritz match taking advantage of the new stand however he was on the terrace and notin the £800 a season seats. Maybe he thought they were too dear.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rule13b wrote: I did see his predecessor at the Biarritz match taking advantage of the new stand however he was on the terrace and notin the £800 a season seats. Maybe he thought they were too dear.

People will take the negatives of anything he does. Look at Mike Ashley for example, he took his place in the cheap seats at NUFC with his mates, wanting to be one of the people. When things went sour he got chastised for taking up a dozen seats that the fans could affrod thereby denying 12 fans the opportunity to watch the match, whilst there was space for Ashley up in the royal box anyway.

If Reid was seen in a box sipping Champagne he'd get grief for being a rich bufoon lording it around at the expense of Ulster. He's on the terrace, low key, so he'll get grief for not sitting in the seats that were his brainchild.

I have to say fair play to him for coming out to support the team and his successor, he always was an Ulsterman through and through, he just wasnt a good enough businessman for the professional era. The easy option for him would be to stay at home and watch it on the tellybox.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ColinM wrote:
Rule13b wrote: I did see his predecessor at the Biarritz match taking advantage of the new stand however he was on the terrace and notin the £800 a season seats. Maybe he thought they were too dear.

People will take the negatives of anything he does. Look at Mike Ashley for example, he took his place in the cheap seats at NUFC with his mates, wanting to be one of the people. When things went sour he got chastised for taking up a dozen seats that the fans could affrod thereby denying 12 fans the opportunity to watch the match, whilst there was space for Ashley up in the royal box anyway.

If Reid was seen in a box sipping Champagne he'd get grief for being a rich bufoon lording it around at the expense of Ulster. He's on the terrace, low key, so he'll get grief for not sitting in the seats that were his brainchild.

I have to say fair play to him for coming out to support the team and his successor, he always was an Ulsterman through and through, he just wasnt a good enough businessman for the professional era. The easy option for him would be to stay at home and watch it on the tellybox.
Well said CM

MR has also been at other matches this season - also on the terrace.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

In response to whoever asked, yes I do still think McL isn't the man - as I said before, I expected us to beat Biarritz and Aironi to qualify. And while I think that McL has done a reasonable job of steadying the ship, and if he were to leave this season, he would be leaving a pretty good group of players in pretty good nick for whoever would come in - in contrast to the chaos and disarray of the last two changeovers - I still think we need someone else to ramp things up a notch or two..

Watching Leinster last w/e, admittedly against slightly unmotivated opposition, I was practically salivating at the thought of how Schmidt could have us playing... they are like a well-oiled machine, playing on the front foot, great awareness and support play, and when they get in the 'red zone' they're really relentless and efficient in getting over the line - they scored just one less try in the group stages than we have in the Magner's League all season...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

ColinM wrote:I have to say fair play to him for coming out to support the team and his successor, he always was an Ulsterman through and through, he just wasnt a good enough businessman for the professional era. The easy option for him would be to stay at home and watch it on the tellybox.
:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

darkside lightside wrote:In response to whoever asked, yes I do still think McL isn't the man - as I said before, I expected us to beat Biarritz and Aironi to qualify. And while I think that McL has done a reasonable job of steadying the ship, and if he were to leave this season, he would be leaving a pretty good group of players in pretty good nick for whoever would come in - in contrast to the chaos and disarray of the last two changeovers - I still think we need someone else to ramp things up a notch or two..

Watching Leinster last w/e, admittedly against slightly unmotivated opposition, I was practically salivating at the thought of how Schmidt could have us playing... they are like a well-oiled machine, playing on the front foot, great awareness and support play, and when they get in the 'red zone' they're really relentless and efficient in getting over the line - they scored just one less try in the group stages than we have in the Magner's League all season...
It couldn't be more obvious that Schmidt has improved an already quality outfit but I don't think you are comparing like with like. As you said yourself McGlock inherited chaos and he has done a very good job with the aid of some great signings which even the greatest of the cynics and naysayers on here are gradually realising are top class players.

Schmidt inherited a team which were & are light years further down the road than Ulster as very recent HC champions. I am not sure that we have seen enough of McGlock to know if he has the skills to raise Ulster's game.

To judge him as inadequate based on a season recovering from an all time low with a squad he had no input into, followed by a half season where all sorts of milestones have been reached with a team needing to gel and appearing to be doing so strikes me as harsh, albeit that will be what he is judged on in the pro game.

Hard to say how the land lies at present with rumours that he will go and others that he will stay.