Brains Trust to-do list

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Brains Trust to-do list

Post by backawaygoonahead »

If the B&I survives what appears to be limited interest & the competition rules don't require any particular facilities then take the games out of Belfast and they might just get a larger audience.#

This ST holder will not be seeking a reduction in price if it did happen. I think the current level for us Terrace plebs is about ok or perhaps still a little on the cheap side :duck: if we want to see the club go forward on the pitch & I never viewed the Ravens games as anything other than an extra that I would attend if practical - unfortunately it hasn't been this season.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I have to say I really enjoyed the Ravens games last season and I guess a lot of us assumed a similar format would be followed this season. There's no reason why the Ravens couldn't have more games during the international period, thus allowing them to be played at ravers, or at least at sensible times for those who work.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

If the B&I cup continues it should help develop our young players in the longer term. If it isn't going to conitnue is there any chance of ravens and the other provincial a teams entering the AIL? Would this be of any benefit to the irfu and thereby the provinces? Could it help to raise the profile and quality of the AIL? Or would actually cause more friction between the branch and clubs?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:If the B&I cup continues it should help develop our young players in the longer term. If it isn't going to conitnue is there any chance of ravens and the other provincial a teams entering the AIL? Would this be of any benefit to the irfu and thereby the provinces? Could it help to raise the profile and quality of the AIL? Or would actually cause more friction between the branch and clubs?

The Ravens at the moment imho is a step up for the AIL players,or for returning players from the senior team to get some game team,in a couple of years we may have a bit of depth to have a proper competitive team,to bring them into the AIL seems to offer no logic.Oh and where would they play :wink:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I was just thinking out loud. The ravens at present is a step up with the b&i cup but if it disappears then what?

I was only thinking ail as at least it's a regular competitive competition, the players would get to play alongside who they train with and that is surely a benefit. I hope the b&i cup stays as it is a tougher proposition for the young ravens and should result in a faster progression for the youngsters who are new pros.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

darkside lightside wrote:Just having a gander at my geekily maintained squad lists, updated for next year (NOC & McCrea gone) and assuming Caldwell and BJ go.

We look ok at hooker, back row (although if McLaughlin replaced TJ it would definitely look better, no disrespect to TJ), scrum-half (assuming the half-rumours of Marshall leaving are unfounded) and in the centre. What we will need are:

* THP - replacement for BJ (if necessary??) Possibilities mentioned: Andress, Brookes, Hagan
* Second row - unless we're happy that McComb/Henderson could regularly come into matchday squads.. Possibilities mentioned: Stevenson
* Out-half - at present we have only one senior contracted 10 for next year. Unless we are comfortable with Jackson/McKinney stepping into matchday squads next year, or relying on Pienaar to cover, we need reinforcements. Possibilities: ????
* Wing - only 2 senior contracted wings for next year, plus Gilroy in the academy. I am not convinced by Seymour unfortunately... Possibilities: Carr (advanced stage??)
* FB - weak spot for a number of years now. Assuming D'Arcy secures a new contract, and Smith sticks around (albeit not sure it's his best position), McIlwaine provides further cover. Possibility: 'high-profile' NIQ??? (or low-profile Irish development player from other province??)
a few weeks on, and we can scratch second row from that list of areas needing reinforcement... THP sounds like Andress is there or thereabouts, and BJ is still a possibility. What that means is that our pack won't need further major surgery for next year - would still maybe like another back row player given Ferris's perpetual injury problems..

We'll maybe know more about out-half cover after tonight's match - the emergence of Spence, and with Marshall doing all right, gives us a bit more depth in the centre, but we're still crying out for cover in the back 3 IMO... I wonder has the Carr track run cold?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I wouldn't take too much from Jacksons performance tonight. Yes if he plays well then great, but I'm in no doubt that he's bricking it right now and mistakes is bound to happen tonight from him at some point.

Remember Nevin's debut last season in Glasgow where he couldn't catch a cold? Look at him now...
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Another item for the to-do list - should be underlined as well: overhaul Ravens coaching.

The results this year have been abject. Who is currently in charge?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Is it Longwell or am I way off? Wouldn't be certain it is the coaching, more likely it is how seriously Ulster have taken the matches. Give the guys time together in training and adequate preparation and I think the results could be much better.