2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Instonian
Novice

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by Instonian »

I have to disagree with what Rooster said, I can't imagine how you could define a good year? Two quarters went to replay! One still indecided, coleraine and ballyclare in semis, are people not pleased new schools are reaching their potential and giving the big schools difficulties! Have to say I think the problem stems from the lack of seeding in the draw in my opinion!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Instonian wrote:I have to disagree with what Rooster said, I can't imagine how you could define a good year? Two quarters went to replay! One still indecided, coleraine and ballyclare in semis, are people not pleased new schools are reaching their potential and giving the big schools difficulties! Have to say I think the problem stems from the lack of seeding in the draw in my opinion!
What problem is that?
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Thought that would get a storm of protest!! Other than the money side, (which I guess is the real reason they still play at Ravers), I dont give one fiddler's if the little darlings dont enjoy their day out!! UR gets berated regularly on here for loads of reasons, including about pitch conditions on occassions, & I just happen to think the number of matches at Ravers is daft!! By all means have the final there, but not the semis!!

Long time since I played schools cup, (& my school didnt reach the semis anyway!!!), but were semis always played there? My recollection is that they weren't, but couldn't be certain? If not then the "tradition" argument doesn't hold much water!!!!!!!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

nothing to do with money.
try fitting that many fans into any other ground and H&S would go bananas

in my day you could even drink at a schools cup semi-final, and that was as a 1st or 2nd former up cheering on the 1st XV! TIP: always go for the big lad with a scarf tied around his head - ask him to get you a couple of pints...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Instonian wrote:I have to disagree with what Rooster said, I can't imagine how you could define a good year? Two quarters went to replay! One still indecided, coleraine and ballyclare in semis, are people not pleased new schools are reaching their potential and giving the big schools difficulties! Have to say I think the problem stems from the lack of seeding in the draw in my opinion!
Well for a start off the RSA /Inst one should never have got that length, Armagh had it won then threw it away by failing to close the game down and instead went on playing for even more points, then when Inst had it in the bag the rest of the side gave the kicker so many high fives and slaps on the back you would have thought they had won the final except he then forgot to stick the ball through the posts.

In my eyes a good year is when there is good competition and proper skilful rugby played, sadly it has become a few years since that was the aim.
Interesting you mention the new schools reaching potential, they are the schools with a smaller base to pick a side and if you watch them are the sides playing skilful rugby, those with big numbers play more on a tonnage on the pitch basis with less skill but more strength, perhaps the worm is turning and we will get back to proper rugby and not just a slugfest.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Methody suck.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

First time (in modern era) that semi-finals were played at Ravenhill was 1980 and every year since then. The previous year MCB played RBAI in the semi-final and they had to close the gates at Pirrie and crowd control was becoming a real issue. Occasionally some early round matches were played at Ravenhill in the 20s and 30s. Also until the 60s Ulster Senior League games were regularly played at Ravers every week.

Sadly this year's Bowl final (Friends v Rainey) has been moved away from Ravenhill for the first time.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Methody suck.
Very insightful!!!!
Instonian
Novice

Post by Instonian »

Rumor has it coleraine are playing a 4th year at outhalf for their semi? Any truth in that?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

So crap its generated 8 pages of a thread....when you have a toe in either camp its a big thing this time of year and I have a son in the mix and whilst things get 'heated' from time to time I think there is nothing wrong with a bit of healthy banter..after all school days are the best days of your life...apparently!!
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Can anyone confirm or deny reports that Nick wells is meant to have posted a comment on face book saying that he does not understand how CCB can get 10 points at rugby when they cant get 10 points between them at GCSE.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

What do you mean by recruiting - CCB have two additions and I can assure you they were not recruited. They also lost more players through injury and leaving the school than came in. >TT
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Instonian wrote:Rumor has it coleraine are playing a 4th year at outhalf for their semi? Any truth in that?
Could well happen. The senior outhalf was injured in the QF by a high tackle. Young Sheils is tearing it up at Medallion
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
AndyB wrote:
HwoodMike2umate wrote:Methody suck.
Very insightful!!!!
I may have suggested before on this thread that grown men should behave like grown men. Schools cup seems to bring out the worst in some people.

The whole inst/methody thing is a bit crap really.
I think you'll find that HwoodMike is a Campbell chap.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

rugbymad wrote:What do you mean by recruiting - CCB have two additions and I can assure you they were not recruited. They also lost more players through injury and leaving the school than came in. >TT
It would be my understanding that the following 3 players have only recently enrolled at CCB or at least received the majority of their education at other schools:
Farrell : ex Fivemiletown High School ?
Gallagher: ex Rathmore GS?
Bester : ex Ballyclare High School.

I am not passing any adverse comment on CCB - just providing information that i believe to be correct