2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by cables »

weejack48 wrote:That was over a huge disagreement over venues for matches. The right to host the game was more a 'gentleman's agreement' in those days - the draw did not decide the home team. In that particular instance the argument started over the CAI v MCB tie - if I remember correctly MCB had not played at home in the cup for about 5 years and thought they deserved a home tie. Things then escalated with virtually all the entrants falling out - CCB and Portora had a similar barny. The local press was full of 'warring' letters for weeks and before it could be resolved the time available to play the competition had gone. In the end only a couple of ties were actually played that year.

A similar problem befell the Towns Cup in 1900 & 01, with Dungannon & City of Derry the clubs at war.
Good post weejack48. Not your first may I add in your short time posting here. Looking forward to your further releases and very happy to sit in your history class.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

For the avoidance of any doubt it's only the Campbell v Inst stat's that really interest me at this stage.
And the stats have just got better me thinks.

Subject to correction from Cables, i think Campbell v Inst finals have resulted in 6 Campbell wins
and a mere 3 wins by Inst. So that means Campbell success 66% Inst success 33%.

What more can i say?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Those stating that the use of % wins as a statistic are correct in their assertion that it is pointless - Inst will simply refer to total victories - end of

Mike - may I suggest you have a look at total wins since the schools came into being - as Campbell is the baby of the big 3, you may find they have won nearly as many if not more over the equal time period

Maybe the statisticans can confirm
Last edited by Yoda on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

At a quick glance its 2-1 to CCB in meetings in the Cup in the past decade - not that it really means anything to this year's match.

2002 Round 2 CCB 12-10 RBAI
2007 QF RBAI 28-8 CCB
2008 Round 4 RBAI 0-7 CCB

More importantly, good luck to both Friends and Rainey in the Schools Bowl final today. Big day for all those guys.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Satans little helper wrote:
by HwoodMike2umate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 am

I DIDNT GET WHERE I AM TODAY BY GAMBLING WITH INST stars
So I'll take that as a no ?? Meowwwwwwww Meowwwwwwwwww - the noise of a pussy :lol:

Playwright and Nobel Laureate Samuel Beckett taught at the school from January to July 1928 but found the experience uncongenial. The story goes that his decision to leave prematurely was questioned by the then Headmaster who pointed out that he was giving up the opportunity to teach the cream of Ulster, Beckett replied, of Campbell's students, "Yes. Rich and thick." No further comment required :salut:
Was Beckett not stabbed by a French pimp, maybe he couldn't afford to pay. Poor and stupid ?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

rugbymad wrote:
Satans little helper wrote:
by HwoodMike2umate » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 am

I DIDNT GET WHERE I AM TODAY BY GAMBLING WITH INST stars
So I'll take that as a no ?? Meowwwwwwww Meowwwwwwwwww - the noise of a pussy :lol:

Playwright and Nobel Laureate Samuel Beckett taught at the school from January to July 1928 but found the experience uncongenial. The story goes that his decision to leave prematurely was questioned by the then Headmaster who pointed out that he was giving up the opportunity to teach the cream of Ulster, Beckett replied, of Campbell's students, "Yes. Rich and thick." No further comment required :salut:
Was Beckett not stabbed by a French pimp, maybe he couldn't afford to pay. Poor and stupid ?

rugbymad, perhaps you would like to withdraw that scandalous and unfounded accusation. He was indeed stabbed by a pimp but there is nothing further in your statement that even resembles the truth. You could try reading a bit about the man - you might learn something. One of the leading writers of the 20th century. A nobel Laureate, a hero of the French resistance. Recipient of the Croix de Guerre and the Medaille de la Resistance. If any of us achieved a fraction of the great man's achievements in our own lives then we would have something to be very proud of. And of course, despite being quoted for convenience by an Instonian the man himself had no connection with that school at all.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

well if, like Becketts, my parents had had a tennis court in their back garden, i too might have been tempted after my sojourn at Trinity to spend my life writing books and swanning off to Paris rather than being a dull teacher.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Schools Bowl Final result

Rainey Endowed School 14-11 Friends School Lisburn

Congratulations to the Rainey boys.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Spare me the boring, patronising history lecture Paul, have you no humour in your soul ?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

rugbymad wrote:Spare me the boring, patronising history lecture Paul, have you no humour in your soul ?
loads of it. Did I miss some in your post?
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

CCB should win it easily, then again anything can happen in cup finals
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Rooster wrote:CCB should win it easily, then again anything can happen in cup finals
I would tend to agree Rooster but I think the two sides drew 12 all earlier in the year at Fox's Field, so could well be tight.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

PW Moore - i'm extremely puzzled by your running to the defence of an Ex-Cambellian teacher who was a Leinsterman from Foxrock, who preferred "France at war to Ireland at peace" and who was such a clever clogs he wrote a lot of his work in French. Quite what his long suffering wife Suzanne thought of his long "friendship" with Barbara Bray i do not know and the mind boggles as to what he thought of Barbara's twin sister Olive Classe. Given that this is in the Skules Rugby section i will say no more.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:PW Moore - i'm extremely puzzled by your running to the defence of an Ex-Cambellian teacher who was a Leinsterman from Foxrock, who preferred "France at war to Ireland at peace" and who was such a clever clogs he wrote a lot of his work in French. Quite what his long suffering wife Suzanne thought of his long "friendship" with Barbara Bray i do not know and the mind boggles as to what he thought of Barbara's twin sister Olive Classe. Given that this is in the Skules Rugby section i will say no more.
Think not about where he went for his brief teaching carreer but instead about the crucible from which the man he was to become was cast.
Paul.

rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

pwrmoore wrote:
HwoodMike2umate wrote:PW Moore - i'm extremely puzzled by your running to the defence of an Ex-Cambellian teacher who was a Leinsterman from Foxrock, who preferred "France at war to Ireland at peace" and who was such a clever clogs he wrote a lot of his work in French. Quite what his long suffering wife Suzanne thought of his long "friendship" with Barbara Bray i do not know and the mind boggles as to what he thought of Barbara's twin sister Olive Classe. Given that this is in the Skules Rugby section i will say no more.
Think not about where he went for his brief teaching carreer but instead about the crucible from which the man he was to become was cast.
You talk some dung Paul. :whistle: History over, CCB all the way and for many years to come. Some great teams comming behind this bunch!