2011 SCHOOLS CUP

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2011 SCHOOLS CUP

Post by pwrmoore »

rugbymad wrote:You talk some dung Paul.
Maybe so. But I am definitely not on my own.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Be careful what you claim about great teams coming behind. History is littered with teams that don't develop once they hit senior schools rugby. It's a very different game.

One prime example - three Inst Medallion teams that trounced all comers between 1980 and 1982 - the 1980 team scored well over a 1000 points and conceded less than 100 all season. From these 3 teams they ended up winning precisely ZERO Schools Cups.

I don't think many people outside Ballymena saw them coming last year?

In other words ......don't count your chickens.

Personally I think CCB just have the edge. I think the 3 QF games has helped toughen/sharpen them up. I don't believe that in the modern era some of the better teams play matches as often as they could and can lose match sharpness.
rugbymad
Novice

Post by rugbymad »

Very true weejack, chickens are not counted, just being optomistic. Also the boys dont play together often enough, its a handicap to have too many Ulster players in your team, sounds stupid, I know but CCB are only starting to gel and will get better. The three QF games have helped. Thanks MCB.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

To change the subject slightly to a competition that not many of you will probably care about.

There was a great victory yesterday for MCB 4thXV against CCB 3rdXV in the Schools 3rd XV cup. A very closely fought match played in a great spirit with a good ref and a close victory for MCB 15-11.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Start the conspiracy theories if you must, but the Ulster Branch were obviously anticipating this great MCB victory when they published the sf draw on 8th March???? The oracle is working overtime at Ravers...

Northern Bank Schools 3rd XV Cup;
MCB v MCB 4th
RBAI v RBAI 4th

Anyone know the 2nd XV results from yesterday?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

No Idea about the 2nd XV but I notice CCB Medallion play Sullivan Medallion at Pirie Park on Saturday, anybody looking a game to go watch in the morning, that one could prove to be a cracker.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Close game predicted.....my money is on a narrow CCB win. I will be at Bangor Grammar watching the MCB Medallion side in the Plate semi final...hope the rain/snow stays away! :mrgreen:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Limavady Grammar against RBAI will be a cracker as well...Limavady are a great side and dark horses in this one.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

weejack48 wrote:Start the conspiracy theories if you must, but the Ulster Branch were obviously anticipating this great MCB victory when they published the sf draw on 8th March???? The oracle is working overtime at Ravers...

Northern Bank Schools 3rd XV Cup;
MCB v MCB 4th
RBAI v RBAI 4th

Anyone know the 2nd XV results from yesterday?
MCB put 40+ on Sullivan
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Beattiespastie wrote:Close game predicted.....my money is on a narrow CCB win. I will be at Bangor Grammar watching the MCB Medallion side in the Plate semi final...hope the rain/snow stays away! :mrgreen:
By all Warren Gatland the SUS medallion side is the best they have had for many years. I was certainly aware of them as having loads of ability and potential as they were coming through a few years behind my own boy. As one of the few SUS sided to have regularly beaten all the "top rugby schools" in previous years I wouldn't bet against them winning this one too.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Its all fine margins in cup games so its hard to call..the top schools are all at the same development stage in my books and there is nothing bewtwen any of them.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Quicky query for the Dads out there with Rugby playing sons.

I'd heard that a medallion side was training four times a week along with pre-schools weight sessions!! I was at Wallace with McGlocks years ago and even he didn't have us doing that. Schools now appear to have ex-internationals and professional coaches as well!!

Also is it true that some schools "encourage" good rugby players to their schools? What effect will this have on rugby in other schools if talent is being creamed off.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Quicky query for the Dads out there with Rugby playing sons.

I'd heard that a medallion side was training four times a week along with pre-schools weight sessions!! I was at Wallace with McGlocks years ago and even he didn't have us doing that. Schools now appear to have ex-internationals and professional coaches as well!!

Also is it true that some schools "encourage" good rugby players to their schools? What effect will this have on rugby in other schools if talent is being creamed off.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I would have thought 3 sessions a week was the norm for 1st and 2nd XV teams with one of those being a team run and then yes probably 2 weights sessions a week. CCB, MCB and RBAI all used Jordanstown during the 'winter freeze' we had for indoor training sessions on the 3G and I think their medallions possibly did as well. I think on the intouch website the CCB captain or Brian Robinson mention about taking the players to ice bath's. School rugby has changed dramatically in the last 5 to 10 years.

It is well known some schools bring in players in Year 13 (Lower 6th) some though ensure that the pupils are their on academic achievements rather than their sporting ones.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

Congratulations to MCB on winning both the U13 (at MCB) and U14 (at RBAI) tournaments.

Trivia time for the MCB lovers out there - I stand to be corrected on this - is this the first time ever that MCB Meds have been consigned to one of the Medallion subsidiary competitions? (I know that their 1st XV has only ever been in the Subsidiary Shield twice in the 41 years it has been going (1980 and 2004) - the 1980 side in particular was brutally awful - I never saw a worse MCB side although the 1985 side runs it close)

I would love to see a SUS v Limavady GS Medallion final for changes sake, but I have a sinking feeling that we will end up with a repeat of the Senior final.