Ulster eye All Black to replace Botha

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster eye All Black to replace Botha

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Cornerfleg wrote: All the same good to see Humph out and about and using proper contacts - we could be signing Pfister, Moore or Dewey again!!!
Oi Steady Fleg, old Rod Moore wasn't the worst :lol:

Great news on John Afoa, very exciting signing and a very big prop who is also a ball carrier. Substantially heavier than BJ & appears to offer more about the pitch.

I wouldn't want to say a single word too denigrate BJ who has been magnificent but you have to say that this is avery adequate replacement. (that may be my single greatest understatement since last APRIL - I don't usually do understatement.)

Saw a report in NZ saying Afoa has signed for just less than Carl Hayman's record fee. After last season I wondered what our situation would be for signings but thats a cracker.

Any other signings of any note and I may keelover with happiness, my worries about a crap scrum next season have vanished.

Top man Doc Davy. Clearly a man with a silver tongue and I daresay that saying we are about to play a HC quarter final didn't do any harm either.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
MaccLad
Novice

Post by MaccLad »

"Afoa has signed a 2½-year deal with Ulster commencing after this year's Rugby World Cup, which means he will still be eligible for the tournament.
A new player in New Zealand sports agency Esportif International brokered the deal, which has created a buzz in the Kiwi player market.
Afoa's agents are believed to have pulled off a massive coup signing him to Ulster for slightly less than Carl Hayman's record transfer to the Newcastle Falcons in 2007."
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

300,000 a season is what hayman got back then if I remember correctly. Which is what botha was roughly on.

tight heads are said to be the best paid players in the squad normally, as very few world class tight heads around.

A truely excellent signing by humph. Another ball carrier is exactly what we needed.
Why? Why not?
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I can't help but be excited by todays news and I think the squad is looking very positive for next year especially if as suggested we get a quality back 3 player.

But....

How do we afford these players? Surely the potential signing for the backline has to be much more low-key to fall within our budget? I'm not privy to our finances but following last years big signings, I assumed that BJ's recent release was to balance the books as such and that the signing of black was as BJ's cheap replacement.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

brianc wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Andress is in!!

Seriously doubt it!! I think the clue is in that he is coming back to "Ireland" not necessarily Ulster!!

That's a decent point. With Hayes (presumably) retiring and Buckley leaving the only decent tight head Munster hace on their books for next year is Botha. Given his history and the fact that he'd be almost guarenteed a higher position in the pecking order in Munster it'd make more sence for him.
Or would it be too much of a long shot to suggest he was going to Connacht as a Hagan replacement?
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

How do we afford these players? Surely the potential signing for the backline has to be much more low-key to fall within our budget? I'm not privy to our finances but following last years big signings, I assumed that BJ's recent release was to balance the books as such and that the signing of black was as BJ's cheap replacement
Black is a loose head as far as I'm aware. I'm sure there is increased income as a result of qualifying for the quarters of the Heiny, sponsorship is possibly on the way up, the ground is about to be redeveloped and Hollywoodmike has apparently said next year he will pay £12.50 for a pint and a burger! Job done!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Humph said he has 29 players already signed up but he didn't say which 29.

Jackson and Marshall to development contracts. Spence and Gilroy full contracts would be my prediction
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

promsandwich wrote:
How do we afford these players? Surely the potential signing for the backline has to be much more low-key to fall within our budget? I'm not privy to our finances but following last years big signings, I assumed that BJ's recent release was to balance the books as such and that the signing of black was as BJ's cheap replacement
Black is a loose head as far as I'm aware. I'm sure there is increased income as a result of qualifying for the quarters of the Heiny, sponsorship is possibly on the way up, the ground is about to be redeveloped and Hollywoodmike has apparently said next year he will pay £12.50 for a pint and a burger! Job done!
Did I hear somewhere that we now have the same funding from the IRFU as Munster and Leinster?

I'm happy to spend some of my free dosh for the sake of UR. Apart from a season ticket and match day "nourishment"--- I wonder what the best things a simple fan can do to best support their team financially?? :red:
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:LETS_GO_ULSTER, rumour has it, shaves his balls. He listens to Justin Beiber on his iPod when he goes jogging and I'm led to believe he cannot for the life of himself work out how to operate the DVD controller.
only one of those statements is true, but then again I'm not too sure what a DVD controller is; I do however know how to use the remote control for my DVD player.

I come to expect better Weldy. I'm disappointed, now I know how Mrs. Weldy must feel :stir:
Really?
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

brianc wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:Whos Black?!
Barack Abama, Tiger Woods, Nelson Mandela, but none of them out of contract.

Regarding back 3 positions, mentioned Jared Payne on another thread, decent outside bet on "project player"?
brianc had thought of posting Muhammed Ali myself but thought better of it as no doubt I would have attracted shouts of "Racist!" - I so envy you in having the freedom to post as you see fit. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Bryan Young to Connacht I believe.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

I would like to retract my previous statement about Andress signing!!

Heard now that it has fallen through and there was talk of him going to Munster but apparently they dont want him!!

Time will tell!!!
The King is dead. Long live the King.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Is Afoa a TH, or can he play both? I suppose you could understand Andress thinking twice if suddenly he has to contend with an established NZ international and a current Ireland TH contender for starts..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

darkside lightside wrote:Is Afoa a TH, or can he play both? I suppose you could understand Andress thinking twice if suddenly he has to contend with an established NZ international and a current Ireland TH contender for starts..
Play both :D he is a 1 man front row :cheers:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Do we assume then that TC will usually play loosehead ? Suppose so. Rory between those 2 sounds pretty awsome, indeed Rory, Brady or the Greek between those 2 sounds quality. Now, if we signed Bismark du Plessis as well I suspect many teams would discover what the fear of god means. :D

Waiting patiently for news of the "outside back" Humph has in his sights - probably not as big a signing as Afoa in many ways but lets hope for another rabbit from Humph's increasingly magic hat.

Speaking of Humph, a year ago he was considered by some experts on this forum a happless oaf without any of the qualities needed for his job description. Funny that, you don't hear much of that these days, those experts appear to have gone pretty quiet. :shock: