Northampton 53 - 24 Sale Sharks

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

eeyore
Initiate

Re: Northampton 53 - 24 Sale Sharks

Post by eeyore »

I dont think it really matters a hoot. It is all on the day. :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

Absolutely. It doesn't matter a sh1te how northampton go against Sale; who are they??? I wish everyone would stop worrying how we're going to do against them. Play to Ulster strengths and let them worry about us. They've been playing poorly against low quality AP opposition and losing. Now they've had 2 good games with their 1st team. Big swinging mickey. We're on a roll. We've won the last 6 in a row, with our 2nd team and then our 1st team, against teams in a better league. Happy to take the underdogs tag, give them the favourites tag. But remember, last time in a match up, our Rory and our Andy stuck it right up them
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Watching Ulster play this season,they seem to play to the standard of the opponents,got a good feeling re this game,but then again have a niggling itch that we will be dropping balls, knocking on,and conceding penalties ,and a dream about a post match interview from McGlocks talking about a learning curve and building for next season.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

If Ulster can go and hit the first up tackles, continue with generally a good defence, the saints may lose patience. This will be when the tables turn.

After the last two weeks of running in trys, if it doesnt happen for them early doors, nerves & panic may just set in for the bookies favourites?

Get the set piece right, have parity in the scrum (A slight worry if BJ goes of the park) and on the day its winable!

If we can show the intensity of our provincial cousins as in tonights game we are very much in it!!!

KEEP THE FAITH!!!

C@MON ULSTER111 :red: :red: :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

'If we can show the intensity of our provincial cousins as in tonights game we are very much in it!!!'

absolutely Sparky - that is precisely the key. Unfortunately I've never see us play with that ferocity away from home - and rarely at home too. We'll need to at least have parity up front and that is a big ask away to these guys.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

bootlaced wrote:Watching Ulster play this season,they seem to play to the standard of the opponents,got a good feeling re this game,but then again have a niggling itch that we will be dropping balls, knocking on,and conceding penalties ,and a dream about a post match interview from McGlocks talking about a learning curve and building for next season.
I reckon this applies to all of the good but not great teams, we seem to be playing just well enough to win, and no more every week. I've said this elsewhere but just think we need to click,and then we will make that leap from scraping wins to making them more comfortable. Saints are definite favourites, but reckon this is gonna be a tight one, and if we can stop them getting any momentum, or ideally get a bit of momentum behind us it'll be game on.

In some ways to be honest we had the better run up psychologically, not sure northampton would choose 2 fairly easy run ins as a decent preparation
ybgurrugby
Novice

Post by ybgurrugby »

I think everyone is falling into the trap of over rating some of the teams in the premiership. Most english teams would struggle to be in the top half of the magners league, you just have to look at how caonnacht do against the english teams in the challenge cup.

Saying that it does not matter. Its all on the day. 15 on 15 and all of those old sayings. SUFTUM
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

ybgurrugby wrote:I think everyone is falling into the trap of over rating some of the teams in the premiership. Most english teams would struggle to be in the top half of the magners league, you just have to look at how caonnacht do against the english teams in the challenge cup.

Saying that it does not matter. Its all on the day. 15 on 15 and all of those old sayings. SUFTUM
aye, decent points. Such a shame Ferris isn;t available - he's the kind of inspitational ball carrier you need in a game like this. Someone to take the game to N'ton.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

"They've been playing poorly against low quality AP opposition and losing"... Not quite sure I agree.

The games we lost at the beginning of 2011 were against Leicester at Welford Road, Saracens and Gloucester, all in the top three of the Premiership. Added to that we lost against Quins and look what they did to Glos last week. After those games and with all the Internationals and injuries absent, in total 7 first team starters, all confidence was shot and we slipped up against Exeter away from home. The last three games have been against weaker opposition, I will give you that, and we have dispatched them with ease. Yes we shipped 24 points today and 3 last weekend, so that's 27 (2 tries) against and 92 (13 tries) for, in the last two games.

We are beginning to play with the same quality as we did at the start of the season which saw us at the top of the Prem by 10 points with two games in hand. The side are starting to feel confident in what they can do and are opening sides up again.

You can't compare both our teams at the moment, the quality of opposition have been different, although I would say Glasgow are a very poor team with very limited options.

Regardless of our result, I have a feeling the Tigers are going to upset Leinster next weekend. There are quite a few Leicester players who want to bury the demons of the last time they visited the Aviva with England a few weeks ago.
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

aarons wrote:seriously, how are we massive underdogs? we're second in our league and on a 6-game winning streak. this persecution complex is tiresome.
Much as I like your thinking, we are very much 2nd favourites. I would be amazed if an 8th seed v 1st seed match has ever been won by the 8th seed. I think i am also right in saying that in the history of the HC there have only been 7 away wins in the quarter finals.

That is what makes us 2nd favourites but like you I don't believe we are likely to be duffed. Saints are a decent team who, in all honesty a bit like ourselves, had one of the easier groups but they are very far from unbeatable. Its just that old home advantage thing.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

If only we were playing at home!!!

The local council are currently stopping the expansion of Franklin's Garden so there is a survey taking place next weekend, especially aimed at the away support, to try and show the council how much revenue they have lost Northampton business by making the match switch venues.

HOWEVER, as a lot of you have chosen to stay in Northampton anyway, the poll won't be so conclusive. Don't suppose if any of you are asked that you'd mind saying you stayed in MK and all your hotel and beer money went to Buckinghamshire business and not Northampton traders?

Would be awfully nice of you if you did. To say thanks, I'm prepared to buy everyone who says that they stayed in MK a drink of their choice. I'll be the one in the Northampton shirt! :lol: Cheers!
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

StKenneth wrote:You can't compare both our teams at the moment, the quality of opposition have been different, although I would say Glasgow are a very poor team with very limited options. Greetings St Ken & welcome back. Another insipid performance from Ulster but crucially we had the return of a few important players and it was almost 3 months since our best team minus Ferris had a run out. They will be better for it next week. Saints remain favourites.

Regardless of our result, I have a feeling the Tigers are going to upset Leinster next weekend. There are quite a few Leicester players who want to bury the demons of the last time they visited the Aviva with England a few weeks ago. Can't see it, Leicester are not remotely the scary team of a few years ago and not that rankings mean too much but prior to tonight and perhaps still , Leinster are no 1 ranked team in Europe have home advantage and crucially have a lot of the same guys who took England apart in the 6Ns. Leinster took a few guys off early tonight to keep them fresh for next week & that may well have been what allowed Munster back from an 11 point deficit. Leicester are always competitve but I don't see them getting the better of Leinster, particularly as Nigel Owens is the ref and they are very used to his style.
Not long to go now Ken, if I were a Saints fan I would be feeling pretty good about things after a tricky spell. As an Ulster fan I'm feeling pretty good about having won 6 in a row. In fact I'm feeling very good about our season - P 25 W18 D1 L6 what makes me feel even better is that if you exclude matches against Irish teams our record is P 21 W18 D0 L3.

We lost badly in Edinburgh,21-16 a team we should hammer, by a point away at Ospreys and were stuffed in Biarritz when we didn't take our chances to be well ahead at half time and got shredded in the 2nd half.

Yes I'd rather be at home but I think it could be a decent game.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

:rambo: :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cardweg
Novice

Post by cardweg »

Didn't see the match, but caught the end of the analysis. Austin Healy said "Saints will have to play much better than that to beat Ulster on Sunday".
I, for one, will take some comfort from that.
SUFTUM!!!
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

cardweg wrote:Didn't see the match, but caught the end of the analysis. Austin Healy said "Saints will have to play much better than that to beat Ulster on Sunday".
I, for one, will take some comfort from that.
SUFTUM!!!
You're quite right, the only problem is that Healy is an Brennan. Wait just a cottonpickin' minute, Cian Healy is an Brennan too, pattern emerging ?

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

What is the N#ampton goal kicker like? If our defence turns up, this could be a very tight game and every kick will be crucial.

Another big positive from Friday night, was our discipline - very few pens given away. Although if you ask the Welsh, they may have another opinion on that :) :) :)