Ulster - Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

29xThePain
Squire

Re: Ulster - Scarlets

Post by 29xThePain »

Danielli at full back? I'd have him on bench, replacing D'arcy if he has a bad game
Follow me on Twitter
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

stickinout wrote:BAGA - small point but i think it was RP who got to the breakdown first to stand over SD and secure ball for TC to do a bit of showboating! but i might be wrong, i haven't had a chance to watch it again.
Stick: this is one of those strange situations where you are perfectly correct in saying Piennar the Great was the first man there but sadly you are also wrong in thinking I was - as if :wink: .

I said "presented the ball & there was the wonderful Tom "I'm a loosehead not a fecking tighthead" Court to do wonderfully well to be the man to lay it sweetly back to Ruan" - see what we are getting to? I didn't say he was first there, simply that he was there to do etc etc to Ruan.

So essentially we were both right - isn't that a happy ending :lol:

By the way the rest of your post was entirely to my liking, as indeed was Rooster's, I have watched it again and yes Ian Humph was guilty of a weak one or two but he tackled forwards most of the night and looked pretty good to me after his layoff.

The dieing embers of a game that is already won would have been a stupid time to make an heroic tackle and missing next week. Spot on Rooster. :salut:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
stickinout wrote: Humph was guilty of a weak one or two but he tackled forwards most of the night and looked pretty good to me after his layoff.

The dieing embers of a game that is already won would have been a stupid time to make an heroic tackle and missing next week. Spot on Rooster. :salut:
First of all, definitely agree, although it wasn't the only tackle he fell off with subsequent try, I don't think he would missed that tackle next week!

Can someone explain something to me tho, this I really don't get. Less than a minute to go but ' time for the line out', and we kick it out and take the lineout. I genuinely don't understand that decision. Wasn't that far from the 22 (even given the wind) surely the answer is to take a kick at goal, use the full minute allowed (with the clock on) and make sure no matter what that you boot the ball so damn hard that it goes beyond the dead ball line? Game over surely?

That would've avoided the lineout which was from from certain? Given that I'm no professional rugby player, I am sure I must be misunderstanding the rules, but can't workout why!
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Eggs wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:
stickinout wrote: Humph was guilty of a weak one or two but he tackled forwards most of the night and looked pretty good to me after his layoff.

First of all, definitely agree, although it wasn't the only tackle he fell off with subsequent try, I don't think he would missed that tackle next week!

Can someone explain something to me tho, this I really don't get. Less than a minute to go but ' time for the line out', and we kick it out and take the lineout. I genuinely don't understand that decision. Wasn't that far from the 22 (even given the wind) surely the answer is to take a kick at goal, use the full minute allowed (with the clock on) and make sure no matter what that you boot the ball so damn hard that it goes beyond the dead ball line? Game over surely?

That would've avoided the lineout which was from from certain? Given that I'm no professional rugby player, I am sure I must be misunderstanding the rules, but can't workout why!
Eggs: always a funny one this but I was calling for him to kick to the corner, there is always the chance that a kick is missed without making it into the crowd, hitting a post for example and then the ball is in the other teams hands. If your lineout has been functioning well as ours was it is a slightly more surefire way of getting possession and then whacking the ball into touch.

If you think back to Ireland v France in 2007, slightly different but you will get my drift. Ireland are leading by a point & get a long range penalty with a couple of minutes to go. Kick the penalty or go to touch in the French 22?

ROG slotted a fine kick and Ireland go 4 ahead. Just gather the restart and it should be over, but like Carlsberg, Ireland don't do good restarts, France get hold of the ball, Clerc scores at the posts and France win.

Had ROG kicked for the corner, with POC in imperious form, chances are Ireland would have won & of course that would have been a Grand Slam.

Anyway , thats my theory.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Aye, funny I remember thinking the exact thing at the time, and to be honest in many other games, if there's a couple minutes to go, your 3 or less in front, and with a strong line out go for the corner, otherwise you are inviting a counterattack. But... maybe cynical and probably not technically within the word of the law ( ? ) but just kick it long, forget about the posts, and you have to think that the percentage of times it would come off a post/fall short would be far less than turned over lineouts? And of course you are allowed to use up that last minute with the clock on. Matters not in the end I guess,was just very surprised.

Slight similarities to blairs restart v Wales last years 6N, again slightly different situation
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Eggs wrote:Aye, funny I remember thinking the exact thing at the time, and to be honest in many other games, if there's a couple minutes to go, your 3 or less in front, and with a strong line out go for the corner, otherwise you are inviting a counterattack. But... maybe cynical and probably not technically within the word of the law ( ? ) but just kick it long, forget about the posts, and you have to think that the percentage of times it would come off a post/fall short would be far less than turned over lineouts? And of course you are allowed to use up that last minute with the clock on. Matters not in the end I guess,was just very surprised.

Slight similarities to blairs restart v Wales last years 6N, again slightly different situation
Absolutely, that was just brainless & lost a game where a draw was there for the taking and even that was an injustice to Scotland.

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

I could understand the thinking but personally i would have opted for the the kick at goal.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.