The other side of Johann Muller

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyB
Warrior Chief

Re: The other side of Johann Muller

Post by AndyB »

promanader wrote:Found this definition of Apartheid -

An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.

Racial segregation and discrimination against non-whites are both surely anti-Christian according to the teaching of Christ, so I don't think the architects of Apartheid can be described as Christians. Just a thought. There are professors and then there are possessors of Christ. We can know the difference according to the fruit of their lives.

Then again there are also counterfiet Christians who can be very difficult to distinguish from the real thing. Again as has been said it all comes down to your own definition of "Christian" and could be debated from now until Judgement Day (if you believe in it!!)

Now lets get a good win tonight and let the build up begin to MK. After all this is a rugby forum!!!
They certainly would have defined themselves as Christians!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I know many people who define themselves as Christian; yet their lives show little or no evidence of Christianity.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

OneMore wrote:Okay, there's a lot in this, but I'll try to respond as well as I can. ..............................Apologies. See previous response to a perceived link between christianity and violent societies. OM
Yin, I've been pre-occupied by rugby and have just read your post. Very reasonable stuff by and large and I suspect that although our interpretations of certain things may differ, in so far as a Christian & a Humanist can do, I suspect there would be plenty of things we might agree on and plenty on which we may well differ.

Thank you for your response you have clearly given it a fair bit of thought. I have posted previously that I have great respect for individuals who are either clergy or ordinary Christians because of their individual merits rather than their beliefs & in case you may think I dislike all those I refer to as mentalists, this was a name I originally reserved as an abbreviation for fundamentalists which has just stuck, for the record, I do not belief all christians are lunatics.
:salut:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
LJ2803
Novice

Post by LJ2803 »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
promanader wrote:11 out of the starting 15 in the last home game were all Christians.
(15-9): S Danielli; C Gaston, N Spence, P Wallace, C Gilroy; R Pienaar, P Marshall;
(1-8): Tom Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, P Wannenburg

RP
tall paul
johann
wannenberg

who else?
RP ,Nevin,marshy,Muller,Diack Wannenburg
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTER MEN
LJ2803
Novice

Post by LJ2803 »

TimGibson wrote:
promanader wrote:I heard that both Johann and Ruan will be speaking about their faith at a Church Youth event called The Well.
any ideas when that is?

It was tonight ... it was very good and interesting
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTER MEN
TimGibson
Novice

Post by TimGibson »

Yep, was at it... Very interesting. Good night all round- ulster staying second topped it off.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Not too sure about his faith but Craig Gilroy has been out with Christian organisations to Countries to help the less fortunate. Can't remember which countries though.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Invited to one of these things to be held in the Elim Church Dundonald on the evening of the 2nd May...not my thang but appearing will be Muller among others or so i'm told...not sure if there's money involved but if i hear any more i'll post it.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Snipe Watson wrote:I know many people who define themselves as Christian; yet their lives show little or no evidence of Christianity.
Absolutely, my wife works with someone who is sexist, racist, sectarian, lazy and a liar but because he is a member of a happy clappy church he gets away with it . Total joke
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

Ardglass2 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I know many people who define themselves as Christian; yet their lives show little or no evidence of Christianity.
Absolutely, my wife works with someone who is sexist, racist, sectarian, lazy and a liar but because he is a member of a happy clappy church he gets away with it . Total joke

That sounds very like a certain man of the cloth who just before I pointed him towards my door said and I quote " You will be condemned to eternity in the burning fires of hell if you fail to publicly profess your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ each and every Sabbath" :twisted: :evil:

Sounds like i will need my fireproof overalls.... :angel:

:salut: :red:
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Ardglass2 wrote:
All part of lifes rich tapestry. I think some people (nice or not so nice )need a communal experience of the infinite to reassure their existence and imminent departure into the aforementioned infinite. Others do not require the insurance policy vis-a-vis church attendance or particular belief system adherence .
I remember going to a Ba`hai gathering once and felt quite taken with the supposition that they are an all encompassing faith believing as they do in Christ, Allah, Jehovah etc .When I asked where the Hindus fit in I was comically rebuked with the following question ;
" How can one believe in monkey donkey elephant gods? " .
I thought for a moment and then said that if you take the monkey donkey and elephant out of the equation that question would be quite challenging :duck:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

namron wrote:
Ardglass2 wrote:
All part of lifes rich tapestry. I think some people (nice or not so nice )need a communal experience of the infinite to reassure their existence and imminent departure into the aforementioned infinite. Others do not require the insurance policy vis-a-vis church attendance or particular belief system adherence .
I remember going to a Ba`hai gathering once and felt quite taken with the supposition that they are an all encompassing faith believing as they do in Christ, Allah, Jehovah etc .When I asked where the Hindus fit in I was comically rebuked with the following question ;
" How can one believe in monkey donkey elephant gods? " .

I thought for a moment and then said that if you take the monkey donkey and elephant out of the equation that question would be quite challenging :duck:
Hey Norm, are you Dawkins in D'skys? "I just choose to believe in one less God than you" routine - always a winner. Mind you, at least the good old Hindus believe in some actual entity rather than a mysterious cloud dweller* who nobody has ever clapped eyes upon. A tad more realistic, if only very marginally. :thumright:

*Can any mentalist explain why heaven is up and hell is down ? If God is everywhere, what is he doing skulking around in hell? And as the woman asked the Pope today, why does God allow little children to suffer - is someone really going to tell me "Oh thats because he gives us the ability to choose" how many babies chose to be swept off in a tsunami?

Oh questions questions, but very few answers. Bless you all. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

DavyG wrote:
Ardglass2 wrote:

That sounds very like a certain man of the cloth who just before I pointed him towards my door said and I quote " You will be condemned to eternity in the burning fires of hell if you fail to publicly profess your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ each and every Sabbath" :twisted: :evil:

Sounds like i will need my fireproof overalls.... :angel:

:salut: :red:
Sounds like he needs to check what the Bible says. You don't need to publicly profess anything.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

backawaygoonahead wrote: Oh questions questions, but very few answers. Bless you all. :wink:
An honest summation Gooner :salut: .When discussing such things as God, Religions etc. I always admit to not knowing and am baffled to the point of perplexion by those who most definitely know that they do :scratch:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
*Can any mentalist explain why heaven is up and hell is down ? If God is everywhere, what is he doing skulking around in hell? And as the woman asked the Pope today, why does God allow little children to suffer - is someone really going to tell me "Oh thats because he gives us the ability to choose" how many babies chose to be swept off in a tsunami?

Oh questions questions, but very few answers. Bless you all. :wink:
Not on a message board, no.
It is beneath you to throw out a glib question like the one above; while couching it in humanity and references to children losing their lives in a natural disaster and finish it with a wink.
You may be an athiest, but you are not an idiot and know very well that the complex concept of God and His relationship with his creation cannot be addressed in anything other than an off hand manner on a rugby message board.
If you actually want to be informed about what Christians believe on this subject, I suggest you read this: