Positives and Negatives - Ulster v Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: Positives and Negatives - Ulster v Scarlets

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Bart S wrote:Positives
there was a match.

Negatives
No-one on this thread seems that bothered actually talking about it.... :oops:
Very true, 9 pages and most of it waffle. I didn't get to see the first half (was wallpapering) but thought in the 2nd half we did ok. Was pleased with 4 minutes to go we were up by 9 which was a bit of an improvement. Was reasonably pleased with the style of play, noted again when we had a maul from a lineout we gained 20 yards. While we are keen to use the backs at every opportunity would love us to use the maul more, especially against Northampton. IH's tackling was really poor a couple of times and a few others as well, Llanelli were ok, they had quite a few phases and often couldn't gain ground, but they are a dangerous enough team. Their number 8 looks like a good player and in Priestland they have Stephen Jones's successor.
Must say scrum was fantastic when BJ was on, should have got a load of penalties from that. Ref was relatively poor but I thought fair.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Hate to go off topic and talk about the match; I thought Trimble was easily MOTM closely followed by Jonathan Davies. Wannenburg had three steals and turnovers hat were sheer class. Now I will go off topic - anyone heard how 1F's examination went? Terrible news about POC! Other than that with Leinster losing and Ospreys/Blues drawing we're still second!! :mrgreen:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Setanta wrote:Hate to go off topic and talk about the match; I thought Trimble was easily MOTM closely followed by Jonathan Davies. Wannenburg had three steals and turnovers hat were sheer class. Now I will go off topic - anyone heard how 1F's examination went? Terrible news about POC! Other than that with Leinster losing and Ospreys/Blues drawing we're still second!! :mrgreen:

Funnily enough my vote would go to Court as motm.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

YoungMan wrote:
love to know whwere the got the idea the tmo was an ulsterman also

Was he not?
Indeed he was. Marshall Kilgore, Secretary of the Ulster Referees Society I believe.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Thought Ruan was pretty poor on reflection. No worse than the other players may I add.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Thought Ruan was pretty poor on reflection.
:roll: you can't expect perfection every game, has won plenty of games by himself for us, he's allowed a below par game by his own high standards, but thanks for the input anyway Al..... :wink:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Big-al wrote:Thought Ruan was pretty poor on reflection. No worse than the other players may I add.
Now thats just silly Big-al :shock: , he hasn't played a poor game in his life never mind for Ulster. :roll: Even your 2nd sentence "attempted saver" just doesn't cut it. :(

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Scrum V guests Jonathan Davies and Kingsley Jones discuss the current status of refereeing in the game and the role of television match officials.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 445563.stm
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

Rooster wrote:Scrum V guests Jonathan Davies and Kingsley Jones discuss the current status of refereeing in the game and the role of television match officials.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 445563.stm
HAHAHAHAHA, unbelievable! Kingsley Jones should be pretty embarressed after that performance; it takes a hell of a one eyed eejit to make Johnatan Davies look balanced.
Really?
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Always thought the English were the biggest moaners when they lose, but the Welsh definitely surpass them recently. Would be very interesting to know how many TMO decisions rule on issues, not "in goal". My recollections would be that obstructions, knock ons, in touch etc account for many decisons. The majority I can recollect relate to things like a foot in touch before the line. Clearly in the act of scoring, but not in goal.

Anyway, enough analysis, they can shove it where the sun dont shine, we won, & I hope Cardiff & Hairsprays have plenty to complain about over the next few weeks :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

brianc wrote:Would be very interesting to know how many TMO decisions rule on issues, not "in goal". My recollections would be that obstructions, knock ons, in touch etc account for many decisons. The majority I can recollect relate to things like a foot in touch before the line. Clearly in the act of scoring, but not in goal.
... which is covered by the laws: "The [TMO] official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure if a player was or was not in touch when attempting to ground the ball to score a try."
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

brianc wrote:
Would be very interesting to know how many TMO decisions rule on issues, not "in goal". My recollections would be that obstructions, knock ons, in touch etc account for many decisons. The majority I can recollect relate to things like a foot in touch before the line. Clearly in the act of scoring, but not in goal.
... which is covered by the laws: "The [TMO] official may be consulted if the referee or assistant referees are unsure if a player was or was not in touch when attempting to ground the ball to score a try."
But it is also used frequently in tight situations where the ball is knocked on just before the line or to decide if ball is actually over the line yet if you take the law to the limit because the ball is not in goal the TMO should not be ruling no try because the ball did not cross the line.
I think JD's thoughts that TMO should be able to go back 1 move before scoring is the correct idea but only at referees request and not coaches etc. and not for every score to check the likes of a marginal forward pass.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

The saintly Nigel Owens asked for a TMO decision at Thomond last year when TOL nearly decapitated Cian Healy - 6 or 7 metres out to see if the high tackle had prevented a try.

I think refs should have discretion to check anything they feel may have either prevented a try or could cause a try being scored through breach of the rules.

No ref is going to go back 3 or 4 phases and yes some refs are poor but they are going to have a measure of commonsense as to when the TMO is appropriate or not. :duck:

Whilst you wouldn't want half a dozen TMO decisions in a game, they do create their own excitement for those at the match and I have only heard people moan about them when they take an interminable length of time to reach a decision.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I don't have a problem with the ref asking any question about the lead up to the try he feels he needs to know. What I would change is to a system somewhat similar to American football, where a decision on the field must be made made, however the referree can ask the TMO to review that decision (mind with none of that coaches challenge stuff).

That way if there is any definitive evidence against the decision made, as in the case Friday, all when and good the decision is overturned, but if it isn't clear one way or the other, the decision on the pitch stands. Covers for things like maybe forward maybe not passes where momentum etc is a factor, not definitely forward, then no change to decision made.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Could be getting into an area where a match would last as long as an NFL match. Can you imagine standing for 3 hours watching a match. No thank you. System is working fine. Leave it be
LTHG