(Honest) Predictions for the Big One

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

What's the result going to be on Sunday?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Ulster win by > 12 points
No votes
Ulster win by 8-12 points
No votes
Ulster win by 4-7 points
31%
Ulster win by < 4 points
24%
Ulster win in extra time (or on penalty kicks)
No votes
Saints win in extra time (or on penalty kicks)
No votes
Saints win by < 4 points
3%
Saints win by 4-7 points
10%
Saints win by 8-12 points
17%
Saints win by > 12 points
14%

Total votes: 29

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: (Honest) Predictions for the Big One

Post by shamalicious »

StMorrissey wrote:Forget the bible. Hartley, Lawes, Dowson, Wilson, Wood, Ashton, Foden, Tongauiha, Mujati are all big game players. Clutch at straws and dream of Ashton dropping the ball because in reality he won't! Kick badly and you'll be dealing with Foden all afternoon and if your pack has an off day we'll go right through the middle.
This is an honest question, how many Ulster players are current internationals?
From our probable 1st XV, I'd say 9 but I could be wrong.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rich123
Novice

Post by rich123 »

StMorrissey wrote:Forget the bible. Hartley, Lawes, Dowson, Wilson, Wood, Ashton, Foden, Tongauiha, Mujati are all big game players. Clutch at straws and dream of Ashton dropping the ball because in reality he won't! Kick badly and you'll be dealing with Foden all afternoon and if your pack has an off day we'll go right through the middle.
This is an honest question, how many Ulster players are current internationals?

Who cares! They're playing for Ulster come sunday! SUFTU
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

StMorrissey wrote: Kick badly and you'll be dealing with Foden all afternoon
I reckon Pedrie will deal with Foden the first time he gets the ball and he'll be as quiet as a mouse for the rrest of the game :wink:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

I agree that it doesn't matter whether they are international's or not.

iHumph is not a current International player, however, he has a good track record in Thomond Park in the HEC, which is no easy place to go. His confidence has grown over the past season or two, and is definitely one of our best players when firing on all cylinders.

Nevin Spence is not a current international, however, he has been absolutely immense this season. Has he actually has a bad game yet?

Tim Barker & Dan Tuohy have both been excellent this season. And Willie Falloon is an absolute beast.

I'd say, at the moment, D'arcy is probably the "weakest" member of the First XV. However, when he's in attack, he can be great. Has lots of potential.

We have International players scattered throughout the squad. However, we also have class players, who are not current internationals, but many have the potential to be future internationals
Follow me on Twitter
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Plus, surely every Irish/springbok international is worth a couple English internationals :stir:
Last edited by Eggs on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

If you'd asked me earlier this week, I'd have said Northampton to win but I've changed my mind.

We CAN win this game, it might not be pretty but we can do it. Ulster to win by 2.

As McGlocks said on Radio Ulster earlier, what bigger carrot to dangle than a semi final at the Aviva - BRING IT ON!!

I'm going to be singing until I'm hoarse on Sunday - c'monn ULSTERRRRRRRRR! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Wee Woman wrote:
I'm going to be singing until I'm hoarse on Sunday - c'monn ULSTERRRRRRRRR! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Wait till the match starts Wee woman or youll have nought left in the tank :silent:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wee Woman wrote:If you'd asked me earlier this week, I'd have said Northampton to win but I've changed my mind.

We CAN win this game, it might not be pretty but we can do it. Ulster to win by 2.

As McGlocks said on Radio Ulster earlier, what bigger carrot to dangle than a semi final at the Aviva - BRING IT ON!!

you are going to bust your bra straps if you bounce like that from now to Sunday :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Greenmoon wrote:My money is on Ulster. If you looked at the (probable) teams for Sunday, apart from Ashton and Foden, would any of the other Northampton players be sure of getting into the Ulster team in front of the players already there. I don't think so.

If the Ulster forwards gain parity, and I don't see any reason why not, Ulster have more than enough flair behind the scrum to win. Don't forget Ulster have won their last six games without playing well. This Sunday might just be the we we turn it on
By and large thats a fair post Greenmoon and as a new boy I can't bring myself to chastise you BUT IWILL NOT HAVE IT SAID THAT ASHTON IS BETTER THAN TRIMBLE. HE FECKING ISN'T - RIGHT

Sorry for shouting Moon. :oops:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

I always feel the hand of doom early in the week then I swing to complete certainty of victory as ko approaches. My dilemma is that I think if either side are capable of winning well - by 10 points or more - its Saints. Not many teams win by loads away so for us to win it has to be a tight game & of course we have no fear of those.

At present I see a one score game and history of the HC suggests a home win. Against that Johann Muller is a man of his word and he said with our best team out we can beat any team on any given day. I recall when he said it people were smiling and looking at each other wondering is he serious or just saying it for the fans. I think we have our answer.

I'm with Johann, sure a bit of faith never did anyone any harm.

I'm hoping for a low scoring game, the lower the better, I don't care if its as boring as hell. They will start to get jittery if its hanging on a knife edge towards the end whilst we have nothing to lose and are used to winning those. I do believe the old cliche about them being under the prressure of expectation is at play here. A good start and strong set piece will sow doubts and quieten their crowd then we are on a roll.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I'd predict we'd start with the following internationals in the XV for that Saints fan who asked;

Tom Court (Ireland, 18 caps)
Rory Best (Ireland, 47 caps)
BJ Botha (South Africa, 18 caps)
Johann Muller (South Africa, 22 caps)
Dan Tuohy (Ireland, 2 caps)
Chris Henry (Ireland, 1 cap)
Pedrie Wannenburg (South Africa, 20 caps)
Ruan Pienaar (South Africa, 43 caps)
Andrew Trimble (Ireland, 32 caps)
Paddy Wallace (Ireland, 26 caps)
Simon Danielli (Scotland, 26 caps)

Some of those stats may be out of date now. Taken from wikipedia. But I'd say we'll have 11 out 15 full internationals with 9 of them pretty seasoned (Henry and Tuohy were capped last summer after a monumental injury crisis).
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

This is the ideal type of game for the Saints. Against lesser sides, who on paper we should destroy, we have an awful habit of not turning up and simply believing that we will win.... and generally don't. Whenever I think we will be beaten, the side rise to the occassion and pull it out of the bag.

My heart says Northampton as comfortable winners, but my head truly thinks you are more than capable of turning us over.
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I strongly believe Ulster are going to nick this one against all the odds...Foden needs nailed from the get go and I actually believe we can front up pretty good in the scrum. Northamptons front row have had a long season and having watched a few of their games in the last few months they simply do not turn up at times.
Its evident to me on listening to Mallinder and the English press in general that they think that Ulster will be shoved to one side quite easily on Sunday....we will see...Ulster are not Sale Sharks who were awful last week with some truely awful defending and total lack of intensity....that wont be the case with a very young,motivated Ulster side...bring it on!!
Greenmoon
Novice

Post by Greenmoon »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
Greenmoon wrote:My money is on Ulster. If you looked at the (probable) teams for Sunday, apart from Ashton and Foden, would any of the other Northampton players be sure of getting into the Ulster team in front of the players already there. I don't think so.

If the Ulster forwards gain parity, and I don't see any reason why not, Ulster have more than enough flair behind the scrum to win. Don't forget Ulster have won their last six games without playing well. This Sunday might just be the we we turn it on
By and large thats a fair post Greenmoon and as a new boy I can't bring myself to chastise you BUT IWILL NOT HAVE IT SAID THAT ASHTON IS BETTER THAN TRIMBLE. HE FECKING ISN'T - RIGHT

Sorry for shouting Moon. :oops:
OK. Consider me to be chastised. :oops: As a penance I will walk through Llanelli with my Ulster shirt on asking locals if they don't think that Nigel's complaints about the quality of the referee last week end might not be a little over the top.
StMarlowe
Novice

Post by StMarlowe »

There is a lot of bravado by both sides here.
This will be a tight game - cries of "we've got more internationals....", The stats say....." Trimble will eat Ashton...", "Foden will be quiet..."

All represent the straw clutching responses of those who don't know at all!

The only history worth speaking of was our last meeting in the HC where honours were even and I rediscovered my love for Belfast. Honours were even. Today the teams appear close.

The only certainty is uncertainty. The only winners will be on the pitch

However keep on talking yourseves up (you'll not see much of that on COYSDC) - because our wxperience is that once you start that - the expectation is unbearable in loss. Phil's strapline "It's not the despair, Saints, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand." is very apposite.

having got all that off me chest - Saints by a low number!
:thumleft: :stir: