Bye Bye Jamie

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Bye Bye Jamie

Post by colinh »

The Dragons have signed Ulster Fullback and provincial Young Player of the Year Jamie Smith on a 3-year deal from Ulster. Smith joins scrum half Joe Bedford who has joined the region from Rotherham.

Smith graduated through the Phoenix Ulster Academy and made his senior debut against Leinster in December 2009. He has gone on to make 16 appearances for the Province, scoring three tries.

The former Campbell College student has represented Ireland at Schools’, U-19 and U-20 level. Smith’s game is based on speed, strength and dynamic footwork and he is equally comfortable at fullback or centre.

Leeds-born Bedford (26) comes to Newport from Rotherham Titans where he was the Club Captain.

“I’m really excited to be joining the Dragons,” says newly signed scrum-half Joe Bedford.

“I can’t wait to start playing for the region. I played at Rodney Parade in 2005 for England Under 21’s against Wales U 21’s. We were well beaten but I clearly remember the fans were magnificent in supporting their team. Not only were they encouraging and incredibly noisy but they showed they certainly know their rugby and were quick to applaud good play - even though not very much of it came for us”!

Bedford began his professional career in England with a season at Premiership club Saracens before moving to Rotherham for two years. While he was there he was spotted and signed by Leeds Carnegie where he spent three years – two in the Premiership and one in the English Championship. It was at Leeds that he came to play with, and under, player coach Darren Edwards.

At the end of last season Rotherham approached him to return as Club Captain where he has remained throughout the current season.

Joe and his wife Katie, plus their 20 month old daughter, have been house hunting in the area and have already settled on their new home in Caerleon. They plan to move in later this month.

“In plenty of time for pre season training,” says Joe, “and it’s about five minutes from the ground. I can’t wait for next season to start!”

“I’m delighted to have secured these 2 players,” said Dragons Director of Rugby Robert Beale. “Joe brings a great deal of experience and Jamie is a very exciting young talent. We’ve looked carefully at Joe and Jamie and we’re confident that they will fit in well with the style of rugby we are looking to develop at the Dragons.”
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Bye Bye Jamie

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jamie never gave less than his best for Ulster and I'll be sorry to see him go.

I wish him all the best at Dragons. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Is there no "I'm delighted to be joining Dragons" quotes from Jamie? Don't want to sound mean - but I hope it's not a Lord Mayors show move ... "I'm glad to be joining Dragons cos I needed a job" .

No doubt reading too much into it ... but I'd like to see Jamie embrace this move and make a real impression at RP.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Always gave 100% in an Ulster shirt ....... I wish him well at the Dragons :salut: :red:
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I wish him luck, he's done very well to get a 3 year deal being a relatively unproven player. Maybe Gatland wants him :)
Joony-k
Novice

Post by Joony-k »

Sad to see him go. Played some great matches. Good luck to him.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Good luck Jamie, you'll come back stronger and more experienced :cheers:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
joyfulrodger
Novice

Post by joyfulrodger »

Yea fair play to him for moving on. Hope it goes well for him, he definitely has talent.

I never really thought he was suited to fullback, I always thought he would make a better inside center (maybe a bit small?) or maybe even wing.
earl the beaver
Novice

Post by earl the beaver »

So how many players are signed up for next season and where do we look light?

IMO we need another backrow and a backthree player.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Gilroy and Gaston will do a very good job in the back 3
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Unless Adam Macklin miraculously learnt to scrummage while out injured, I think we need another Tighthead. We also need another person who can genuinely play openside and not just do a job there.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Shame, I liked him... hopefully he'll be back at the end of his stint in Newport - and my goodness how good will Belfast seem to him by then!!! :D
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
striker
Novice

Post by striker »

looks like they want to Welsh qualify him going by this article
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/8972387.print/
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

:roll:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Jamie never gave less than his best for Ulster and I'll be sorry to see him go.

I wish him all the best at Dragons. :salut:
Grumps, break that down into 3 parts & I'm with you on those in red. I regret saying it, especially as I know his uncle & grandfather well but sadly its right that he goes, there just wasn't any place for Jamie either at full back wing or centre.

I hope he finds his game at Dragons and wish him well personally but its the right decision by UR.

And yes I'm pretty sure thats what you meant anyway.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.